Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,988 Members 55,497 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Installing Windows 8 Preview on the HTC Shift

Tip us?

djwillis
Old
(Last edited by orb3000; 25th September 2011 at 03:57 AM.) Reason: Stickied for the time being
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Talking [GUIDE] Installing Windows 8 Preview on the HTC Shift

This thread is to record comments/questions on a guide I have posted up on my site regarding the steps to get a fully working Windows 8 Developer Preview install onto the HTC Shift.

http://blogs.distant-earth.com/wp/?p=313

The process to get Windows 8 working (with graphics correctly setup etc.) is a little bit of a pain but nothing all that difficult. Especially if you follow the steps (usual rules, I made mistakes to save others the hassle )

The resulting install of Windows 8 running at 1024*600 is VERY usable , much to my surprise. Metro is actually quite nice on the tablet form factor.

The touchscreen is a little unresponsive round the edges but I suspect that is my device as it has never been very good.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to djwillis For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nooor7772000
Old
Thanks Meter 0
good work man thanks so much i will try and post my trial

bouaroudj
Old
Thanks Meter 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooor7772000 View Post
good work man thanks so much i will try and post my trial
Thank you. I can't install any driver even with my ethernet connection :(

djwillis
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouaroudj View Post
Thank you. I can't install any driver even with my ethernet connection :(
SmartScreen by any chance?

If your getting the green messages the chances are you Ethernet connection is not working (is it USB, does Windows 8 ship with the driver for whatever chip it uses?).

Below is a copy/paste from a comment I made on the guide concerning SmartScreen issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwillis
Hi,

The reason you get the green SmartScreen error messages is the lack of an Internet connection. Windows 8 includes a feature that used to only be part of IE that calls off to an MS web service to verify digital signatures are valid on newer type signed executables.
As both the Intel graphics driver and Windows Mobile Device Center are signed you canít install without an internet connection or crippling SmartScreen.

Have another read as the order in which I installed the drivers was very deliberate and also intentionally ordered the way it was to work around the SmartScreen issues.

The guide does not even try to install the signed executables until you have got the Wireless LAN up and running so the signatures can be verified, I even mention SmartScreen as one of the reasons for the order of drivers in the guide .

Regards,

John

Lord_alias
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I don't suppose you have all the needed drivers and could share them somewhere? i cant get any of the links to work so cant get it ready for the upgrade

Also can the test version be installed fresh? i am trying to get windows 7 working for an upgrade but if it can be done fresh i will do that xD

djwillis
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_alias View Post
I don't suppose you have all the needed drivers and could share them somewhere? i cant get any of the links to work so cant get it ready for the upgrade

Also can the test version be installed fresh? i am trying to get windows 7 working for an upgrade but if it can be done fresh i will do that xD
Hi,

All the needed drivers are linked off the guide but as the HTC site seems to be up and down today I have now added mirrors to all the files (uploaded them to my server).

Checked and all the mirror links seem to be working fine .

The best way to try Windows 8 on the Shift is actually a fresh install. I would not suggest an upgrade at all .

Lord_alias
Old
Thanks Meter 26
fantastic i will give it a shot now

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

right i have another problem lol i have everything set up right with all the drivers standing by but when i choose to install i get an error about CD/DVD drives followed by a lack of HDD error any ideas?

djwillis
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_alias View Post
[/COLOR]right i have another problem lol i have everything set up right with all the drivers standing by but when i choose to install i get an error about CD/DVD drives followed by a lack of HDD error any ideas?
Are you going for a totally clean install as per the guide?

Is your USB stick all setup and bootable?

Assuming you are getting into the Windows setup booting off of the USB stick is it the part where you select the install disk that seems to show no HDD? If it it what was installed on your Shift before?

This sounds like an issue I had when I have Meego running off the HDD before I installed Windows 8 (BtrFS and a different partition layout seem to cause it).

thatboyp
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Need Help,

I used the MS software to create the USB boot disk for window 8. try to install on the Shift. got to the part where it said loading files...then it show some blue squares on the upper left screen...it goes for 1/3 of the way and hang up....I let it run for 2 hours and had to do pull the battery.

try to re-install again..same result...

Do I need to format and partition the disk?

djwillis
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboyp View Post
Need Help,

I used the MS software to create the USB boot disk for window 8. try to install on the Shift. got to the part where it said loading files...then it show some blue squares on the upper left screen...it goes for 1/3 of the way and hang up....I let it run for 2 hours and had to do pull the battery.

try to re-install again..same result...

Do I need to format and partition the disk?
That sounds like a bad stick to be honest . The blue squares are replaced with the install menu after just a few minutes. This is all well before anything is messing with the Shift's HDD or hardware .

Try reformatting it and having another go. It can't hurt.

Tags
htc shift, windows 8