Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,324 Members 42,736 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] SGSII E4GT - ROM / Root Hub - Your Flashin Goodness Here! (Updated 10/26)

Tip us?

Bandage
Old
(Last edited by Bandage; 27th October 2011 at 04:27 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 799

DONATE TO ME
Thumbs up [GUIDE] SGSII E4GT - ROM / Root Hub - Your Flashin Goodness Here! (Updated 10/26)

Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch

Click image for larger version

Name:	SGSIIE4GT.jpg
Views:	1563
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	722690

Thread Index

►Part 1 - Glossary / Tools
►Part 2 - Root Instructions / Recovery
►Part 3 - ROMS
►Part 4 - Kernels / Modems
►Part 5 - Themes / Boot Animations / Mods
►Part 6 - Thread Updates

SGSII Epic 4G Touch Developer Listing

RoadRAGEN
zedomax
PhantomHacker
ptfdmedic
bubby323
k0nane
tjohnsonjr
crawrj

(Please let me know if I've left you out!)

↑↑ THESE ↑↑ are the people giving YOU the goodies!
Donate...Thank...Donate...Thank AGAIN! Donate again!!!!!

Without THEM...YOU are like THAT guy →Click image for larger version

Name:	nerdy-guy-lg-63034852.jpg
Views:	1422
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	722667 with a shiny phone and no wimminz.

With THEM...YOU are THIS guy →Click image for larger version

Name:	gg_img_armfloat.jpg
Views:	1432
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	722668 Yeah...YOU wanna be him. Trust me. He gets wimmenz →Click image for larger version

Name:	hot-girl-holding-phone-150x150.jpg
Views:	1503
Size:	9.1 KB
ID:	722672....See? I can haz wimmenz?

Why You Should Donate...

More often than not, a developer for a specific device will use their device as a guinea pig. Tweaking, rooting, building ROMs & Kernel testing are but a few things that can really mess up one's device. Saying Thank You is great, and means alot to a Developer...a small Donation for His / Her work goes even further!

The tools needed to develop a ROM go much deeper than just the Device being developed on. While some preferred development tools are Open Source and can be used for free, others are not...and are a big investment. Add onto that the hours of dedication to building a ROM, and the amount of (Insert Energy Drink of Choice Here), it can be a costly hobby / passion. It's NOT required...but SO very much appreciated by the Developers!

The Thanks Button...

Be generous in your thanks to Developers as well as your fellow community members that help out. We tech nuts are a vain group of individuals, and tend to be more productive when we know others appreciate our work. Taking less than 10 seconds to click that "Thanks" button is likened to a high-five, fist-bump, atta-boy...and if you're NOT homophobic, a good old baseball pat on the arse!

Are you jealous that someone has more thanks than you? Contribute! Very rarely is info sharing frowned upon! Found a killer app you just can't live without? Tell someone! Share the knowledge...it's what XDA is meant to be! It's grown from a small Development community, into a massive one...with SO effin much to share with lovers of various devices. The more that pitch in, the more we open up our devices for enjoyment!

XDA Thanks Button Introduction

PART 1

Glossary

ADB - The Android Debug Bridge. A collection of tools that any rooted Android user should have. ADB allows one to interact with their device from a terminal interface. This enables the user to do a variety of tasks such as sideloading applications and more. SEE HERE

Android - A Linux (SEE HERE) based operating system created and mostly designed by Google. The major revisions are (SEE HERE) 1.0, 1.1, 1.5 (Cupcake), 1.6 (Donut), 2.0/2.0.1/2.1 (Eclair), 2.2 (Froyo) 2.3 (Gingerbread), and 3.0 (Honeycomb - tablet only). The majority of Android major revisions are named after desserts. SEE HERE and SEE HERE

AOSP - Android-Open-Source-Project - Its Usually to Reference Stock Android ( a company that joined with Google to make Android, and allowing the Code to be an "Open Source" so that no industry player can restrict or control the innovations of any other) SEE HERE

APK - Android PacKage. These are, basically, Android applications and all of their data. They are run via the Dalvik Virtual Machine on your device. SEE HERE

Bootloader - The part of a computer that loads the operating system. If this is damaged/deleted you are screwed.

Flashing - The act of installing a ROM onto an embedded device or emulator.

Heimdall Heimdall is a cross-platform open-source tool suite used to flash ROMs onto Samsung Galaxy S devices.

Kernel - In computing, the kernel is the main component of most computer operating systems; it is a bridge between applications and the actual data processing done at the hardware level. SEE HERE

ODIN - Is the protocol used to update the flash filesystem in Samsung Android devices from a host over USB. It allows flashing of unsigned partition images.

RAM - Random-access memory (RAM) is a form of computer device data storage. SEE HERE

ROM - The name given to software on embedded devices (mobile phones, for the most part). "Flashing" a ROM means that you install that software on your device.

Odexed VS Deodexed Files - "Theres plenty of debate over what is faster/better to use, im not going to take sides in this one. This is just information about what the differences in the two are, try for yourself.

Deodex basically takes the odex file and stuffs it into the apk as a classes.dex. First boot it dissembles the file into /dalvik-cache (i believe). Now there is basically 2 copies of the odex, one in the apk one in cache. This makes it "portable". This allows modders to work on the apks & easily change stuff. If you want themes or stuff like lockscreen fixes you MUST use Deodex.

Odex is how things come stock. It takes up less room but making modifications or taking apks from other roms is hard." - Credit Quote TrevE

Also SEE HERE - Link Credit pIxiLatEd

Overclocking - Increasing the "clock" of a processor to increase its speed at the expense of battery life and possibly your phone. Not all processors overclock the same, even if the hardware is identical. One phone with a Tegra2 SoC might not be able to overclock to 1.2ghz, yet another might be able to overclock to 2.0ghz (very unlikely).

Radio/Modem - The parts of a firmware that allow communication between the operating system, the telecommunication hardware, and a mobile network. Some radios give good battery life, some good signal, some neither.

Development Glossary HERE

Tools

[ADB] ADB Workshop and Guide
[ADB] ADB Commands Listing
[Android SDK] - Android Software Development Kit
[KIES]Samsung Kies

More to Come!!!!

PART 2

Root Guide

What is rooting and why should/shouldn't I do it?
Rooting is a way of gaining access to the root directory of your phone enabling you to change every aspect of your phones software that the manufacturer has locked. This enables you to do many things with your device that the manufacturer did not intend. Here are some reasons why people root and why people don't.

Reasons to root:
Get the latest versions of Android on your phone before anyone else.
Try faster and more optimized versions of your phone's software.
Overclocking and underclocking your phone.
Longer battery life.
Theme your phone a lot more.
FREE Wireless Tethering.
Remove unwanted Sprint software.

Reasons to NOT Root:
Not comfortable with troubleshooting your phone and phone problems.
Do not have the time to spend going through countless forums to find solutions to problems.
Possibility to break your phone permanently causing you to go back to Sprint (IF YOU HAVE INSURANCE) to get another one or buy another if you don't have insurance.
MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY WITH SPRINT. (YMMV - Can always un-Root)
Very time consuming and addicting.
Do not know what a "driver" is for a computer.
Have no knowledge of DOS.

So how do I root?
-Don't use any method just because the guide says "ROOT METHOD". Make sure its the latest root method used for your situation. Even this guide will get outdated one day (I'll try my best to keep it up to date).
-Rooting will cause all your information to be lost if you did not properly back them up. You will lose anything saved on the phone, such as contacts (not synced to Google) and applications and settings. Anything on your SD card will still be there such as music and pictures and video.

Basic terminology:
ROM - The phone's software
Flashing - Installing. Pertains to ROMs, kernels, radios, themes, etc

Root Method as of 10/02/11

**See Pre-Rooted Kernels in Kernels Section**

CWM / Based Recovery

►[RECOVERY] Clockwork Recovery◄ - Credit bubby323 / ACS

PART 3

ROMs / System IMGs

►► [ROM][Base] Stock Odex & Deodex (+root/busybox) ◄◄ - Credit AbsolutZeroGI / ACS

►► [ROM] AEMod ◄◄ - Credit RoadRAGEN

►► [ROM] StarBurst ◄◄ - Credit PhantomHacker

►► [ROM] midNIGHT ◄◄ - Credit ptfdmedic

►► [ROM] midNIGHT 2.0 w/ noCIQ ◄◄ - Credit ptfdmedic

►► [ROM] Epic Touch AOSP mod ◄◄ - Credit tjohnsonjr

►► [Odin] Stock EG30 Odexed with Root 3.0/Busybox 1.18.4 ◄◄ - Credit crawrj

►► [Odin]Stock EG30 Deodexed with Root 3.0/Busybox 1.18.4 ◄◄ - Credit crawrj

►[RESTORE] CWM Backup Image◄ - Credit Zedomax / ACS

►[RESTORE] Stock Kernel - EB30◄ - Credit bubby323 / ACS

PART 4

Kernels / Modems

►[KERNEL] PRE-ROOTED KERNEL - ***ALL WORKING!***◄ - Credit Zedomax / ACS

►[KERNEL] PRE-ROOTED - Zedomax OC 1.6GHZ◄ - Credit Zedomax / ACS

►[KERNEL] Zedomax Epic Touch Kernel Stock ◄ - Credit Zedomax / ACS

►[KERNEL] Stock Kernel - EB30◄ - Credit bubby323 / ACS

►[MODEM] MIA Stock Modem (Direct DL)◄ - Credit Ninpo

PART 5

Themes / Boot Animations / Mods

►► [THEME] Nothin but the Honey ◄◄ - Credit Tiffany84

►► [MOD] Boot Sound - E.T. Theme (Root Required) ◄◄ - Credit Bandage

►► [MOD] noCIQ (Carrier IQ removal) for Epic 4G Touch ◄◄ - Credit k0nane

PART 6

Thread Updates

Development Hub Update Info

Code:
10/20/2011 - Pulled Modem (link down)
10/8/2011 - Added Source Credit (Root Descriptions)
10/2/2011 - Updated ROM Listing
10/2/2011 - Updated Root Methods
10/2/2011 - Updated Mods Section
9/25/2011 - Added Stock Modem
9/25/2011 - Added Developer Listing
9/25/2011 - Updated Current ROMs
9/22/2011 - Added Recovery & Restore Options
9/20/2011 - Added Custom Boot Sound
9/19/2011 - Added Zedomax OC Kernel
9/18/2011 - Added Full Root Kernel
9/18/2011 - Updated Glossary & Tools
9/18/2011 - Updated Kernel Info
9/18/2011 - Added Root Process

9/17/2011 - Thread Created

Thanks to the following for guide examples:
arozer
sekigah84
Shaquiel Harris
Satisfying My Gadget Lust With:

Black SGSIV - Me
Note 8.0

White SGSIII - Wifey

What I said help in some way? Toss me a Thank You! ↓↓↓↓↓↓
The Following 101 Users Say Thank You to Bandage For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iSaint
Old
Thanks Meter 1304
Nice to see you here dude..

⇝⇞Vacant⇞⇜
The Following User Says Thank You to iSaint For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Whosdaman
Old
Retired Forum Mod / Recognized Developer / Contributor
Thanks Meter 1425

DONATE TO ME
I'm very glad Bandage got the Epic 4G Touch. We got all the good developers joining us on this device
The Following User Says Thank You to Whosdaman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xlGmanlx
Old
Thanks Meter 544
Looking forward to using your guide to root!
.: My name is G'man and i am a flashaholic :.
The Following User Says Thank You to xlGmanlx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ugothakd
Old
Thanks Meter 405
Under root methods, you can root via a flashed kernel from odin, I think. Someones gotta make the kernel though
The Following User Says Thank You to ugothakd For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

PsycloneTW
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Nice job. Looking forward to additional content.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsycloneTW For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

justwonder
Old
Thanks Meter 45
In glossary you should have SUPER AMOLED Plus
Sent from who cares by who cares
The Following User Says Thank You to justwonder For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cudahy_boy
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So we have root?

datajosh
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudahy_boy View Post
So we have root?
Not yet, it's actively being worked on though

springsyeti
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Forgot hemdall.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

The Following User Says Thank You to springsyeti For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]