5,593,458 Members 37,268 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM] Acer_A500 OTA 7.014.14 [HC 3.2.1] Rooted w/ Busybox for CWM [Jan 6th, 2012] EOL

Tip us?

ezterry
Old
(Last edited by ezterry; 17th September 2011 at 08:39 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 996

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornKaz View Post
I wondered how you got the OTA when you have A500_4.010.41 originally ??

I thought North America the latest HC3.1 was version A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2 ??
No clue was what the device auto updated to what I had, then I rooted (+ intercepted the OTA last night).. I don't know the regions ACER is using.. butthe tab was purchaced at a local staples.

Quote:
I understand that it will keep root... and since I will have root... I guess I can use "Acer Recovery Installer" to re-install CWM ??
The update I've provided won't touchrecovery, so you keep your current recovery and thus can restore your backup even if you mess up the rom.

You also will have root so you can re-flash reocvery if something goes wrong. But likely won't need to.

Last I'm not touching the bootloader so that will also remain as is.

Quote:

Side note:
If we are seeing custom roms for HC3.2 keeping root..etc... why can't dev managed to root stock 3.2 ??

and is the CWM recovery working for 3.2 ??
Keeping root is diffrent from rooting the new system:
To keep root I pull the update zip from the system without letting it install, then I decrypt it (since acer encodes it) unzip it, then manually add/remove files to the update zip before installing via clockwork.

This way I don't need root to install superuser/su on a locked down system, but just install it via clockwork with the correct permissions.

Also recovery is seperate from the andoid system (seperate linuxkernel/ram disk from the main boot kernel/ramdisk) We need not touch it when installing a rom (even if most stock roms by default like to reflash recovery.)
Dream Sapphire:
> Radio 2708+ (+15MB kernels)
> MT3G ota froyo rom dream sapphire port
> ezGingerbread (rom/source): Dream/Sapphire
> DS JTAG: Soft load of SPL (to unbrick/re-root) / JTAG WIKI

Acer A500:
> ezT20 kernel A500 and A100
> A500 Public Recovery (Clockwork Mod based recovery + source for the A500)
> Acer A500 ICS Rooted w/ Busybox
> Acer_A500 OTA 7.014.14 --HC 3.2.1-- Rooted w/ Busybox

Donations for beer/rent are always appreciated.
Twitter: xdaterry -~- Google+: profile -~- GitHub: ezterry
The Following User Says Thank You to ezterry For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

civato
Old
(Last edited by civato; 17th September 2011 at 08:57 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 11777

DONATE TO ME
I flashed my Packard bell libertytab with this rom and everything is just fine.
CWM and root.
Thanks.
Edit: I got the Thor 3.4 kernel running on it and it is fast.
24/7 at 1544MHz and even 1680 is no problem with it.
Max cfbench overall score is 9175.

v_lestat
Old
(Last edited by v_lestat; 17th September 2011 at 09:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 13
my only problem is that the OP doesnt sound too sure of himself if this rom is even any good
thats just the feeling i got after reading his first post
it almost sounds like you dont have an iconia to test this on.

i do hope i am wrong. i guess i have not seen anyone post a rom and use the words in the manor you have. it just made me feel uneasy about if the rom even works.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
"Anytime you think I'm being too rough, anytime you think I'm being too tough, anytime you miss-your-mommy, QUIT! You sign your 1248, you get your gear, and you take a stroll down washout lane. Do you get me?"

ezterry
Old
(Last edited by ezterry; 17th September 2011 at 10:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 996

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_lestat View Post
my only problem is that the OP doesnt sound too sure of himself if this rom is even any good
thats just the feeling i got after reading his first post
it almost sounds like you dont have an iconia to test this on.

i do hope i am wrong. i guess i have not seen anyone post a rom and use the words in the manor you have. it just made me feel uneasy about if the rom even works.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
I have an icona.. and its running the rom.
But the OTA hasn't even been out 24h (rooted or otherwise) so I've not had the time to really put the rom into its paces (nor has anyone else not working at ACER)

The other thing is my position on this rom; That is unless there is (a) a bug in the modifications I did make to provide root and some tools for end users to add their own tweaks; or (b) another official release provided by acer: I do not want to be updating the base rom; it ought to remain nearly as close to the stock OTA as possible (and any exception to this is already defined in my modification list)

Now if you have a interesting addition.. Or I come up with an interesting hack I'm happy to provide/advertise it as an "Add on" that the user may optionally flash on top of the rom to obtain the additional functionality.

(Of course I much rather work on roms with accessible source code.. unfortunately we will not be able to make such a thing until Google releases the source for Ice Cream Sandwich)
Dream Sapphire:

Acer A500:

rbtconsultants
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Rom appears to work fine fine. Cleared cache and dalvik cache and flashed to my Iconia with CWM from stock 3.1 and voila - 3.2

Flashed the modified HoneyVillain Kernel in post 2 and overclocked to 1504. Everything working fine so far. Netflix working with patch (rear videocam FC as usual).

I'm hoping for better battery life than Taboonay. Maybe it was just me, but I had awful battery life with Taboonay compared to stock.

Bob

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

I should mention after flashing that kernel I put ro.carrier=wifi-only into /system/build.prop to remove cell standby from battery use.

Also, since I didn't do full wipe, this truly came out as an upgrade, since everything on my tablet stayed the sam ein terms of apps and configuration

superbar
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Scrolling thu home screen is smooth now but scrolling thru apps still lags, not as smooth as 3.1, I wipe my dalvik cache and clean wipe, should I wipe my partition?

HarshReality
Old
Thanks Meter 8

DONATE TO ME
As I just got the update notice today (US) for 3.2 I suppose the only question I would have is... can you tell me exactly how you did this so I can do it and only have su installed. Dont misunderstand as I appreciate the dev aspect of things but I have yet to see a stock rooted ROM or direction on how to that anybody hasnt 'tweaked'.

suomaf
Old
Thanks Meter 49
He already explained a few posts before. He took the update, dismantled it and took out the bit that will upgrade your recovery and wipe out the root. Repackaged it and viola! instant magic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshReality View Post
As I just got the update notice today (US) for 3.2 I suppose the only question I would have is... can you tell me exactly how you did this so I can do it and only have su installed. Dont misunderstand as I appreciate the dev aspect of things but I have yet to see a stock rooted ROM or direction on how to that anybody hasnt 'tweaked'.

ezterry
Old
(Last edited by ezterry; 18th September 2011 at 03:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 996

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshReality View Post
Most of the "tweaks" in here are you find not as optional as you may think.. Particularly for a distributed product.

However I've not modified any binary files; this means all the changes are either text files or removal/addition of binary blobs thus to see what I've done:

You need the official OTA image and to decrypt it/unzip it information is here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1113878
(As well on two 3.2 update related threads happening in the a500 dev section)

Once you have unziped the zipfile and update.zip will be visible and is the base of the update.zip for this install.

In that file is system files, recovery flasher files a boot.img (this contains the ramdisk where I have modifications so adb shell works as root look into extracting the ramdisk with cpio) and scripts to help in the installation of the rom.. the updater-script (a few dirs under META-INI) is the script recovery runs.

From here you can compare the files in the official archive with mine, or ignore mine and modify the install to your own liking.

For best results knowing the structure of the files in system and how linux/android boots is important. Otherwise this is a hands on exercise, there is only so much advice I can give,thus looking at the original and seeing what I touched will likely provide insight particularly if your are stuck.

In the case of su/superuser I just pulled from the official zip on rom manager provided by ChainsDD (links at https://github.com/ChainsDD/Superuse...es/manifest.js ) and placed them into system making sure to add the suid perm on su in the updater-script. This however will not allow adb shell as root or prevent clockwork recovery from being over written.

There is a bit of a learning curve.. even if to me this type of hack is trivial and I only bothered doing it so I could have the 3.2 OTA without loosing root, and without what I think are silly tweaks some other devs add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suomaf View Post
He already explained a few posts before. He took the update, dismantled it and took out the bit that will upgrade your recovery and wipe out the root. Repackaged it and viola! instant magic!
Not very technical.. but once you decide to use the rom yes is about how its supposed to act.. And how I hope most of those that have downloaded the image think of it.
Dream Sapphire:

Acer A500:

The Following User Says Thank You to ezterry For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZeroAlphawolf
Old
Thanks Meter 13
When i flash this, and reboot, i hang on the Acer bootup logo. No changes. I can go back into recovery and restore, but i can seem to get this to flash properly. I'd like to have a nice clean minimal 3.2.

I even wiped and did a clean instal, one note it did say

Offset:0x180

Before it said installation complete, it also 'installed' the file far to quickly in my opinion.

Tags
a500