USB Drivers for Epic 4G Touch

Search This thread

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Thats strange because that is all I've used were LG cables... they have worked fine for me since day one?
These were the ones that came with the LG Optimus S. I wasn't trying to imply all LG cables were bad. These companies source from many different manufacturers. My big surprise was that micro-usb cables that worked fine for one phone consistently wouldn't work with the E4GT for data, but would still charge. Before that experience, I just thought micro-usb was micro-usb.

taufunc

Jan 8, 2012
These were the ones that came with the LG Optimus S. I wasn't trying to imply all LG cables were bad. These companies source from many different manufacturers. My big surprise was that micro-usb cables that worked fine for one phone consistently wouldn't work with the E4GT for data, but would still charge. Before that experience, I just thought micro-usb was micro-usb.

Its true that the manufacturers make their own adapters, but each cable is made differently (i.e. voltages, data address, etc). It could be possible that you burned out the E4GT port.

Thats strange because that is all I've used were LG cables... they have worked fine for me since day one?

Do you still have your OEM cable that came with the E4GT, I wonder if that would affect anything?

Last edited:

AVAH0LIC

May 12, 2010
Colorado
Yeah i have 4 different cables including the OEM one that ive been using to flash since i got the phone, and theyve never given me any problems... Ive tried the oem one and still the same issue - i suppose the "burning of the port" could be possible --- but i get a new one tomorrow so i guess to be safe ill just use one from now on

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

AVAH0LIC

May 12, 2010
Colorado
I came from the optimus s lol hmmm stange i didnt know that either... Well i sold the optimus s on ebay with a third party charger... Hopefully that doesnt cause problems for the buyer oops lol

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

sfhub

Oct 23, 2008
Its true that the manufacturers make their own adapters, but each cable is made differently (i.e. voltages, data address, etc). It could be possible that you burned out the E4GT port.
The Samsung and HTC micro-usb cables I tried worked fine. The wouldn't have worked if I burnt out the USB port. I've flashed hundreds of times now testing various ODIN One-Clicks and the Auto Root package. Never had a problem so the USB port is solid. It just doesn't like the cables that came with the LG Optimus S (at least the three cables that I had) This also isn't the first I've heard of people complaining that the micro-USB cable they tried with the E4GT would only charge but not transfer data. There is some incompatibility there, just don't know which side is at fault, Samsung or the cables.

tenazrael

Nov 16, 2010
I can also confirm that the USB cable/charger that I received with my phone (bought off ebay) was an LG cable. Yesterday while I tried to connect my phone to my computer (win7x64) it wouldn't work. When I plugged it to the computer using the Samsung OEM USB cable... it worked instantly.

With that said... I don't have insurance or any nice and easy way to replace my phone and if burning out the USB port is possible using the LG cable I got... then its going in the trash. Samsung USB cable only from now on. Plus its the only one that works for data. :p

sc0rp1n0x

Oct 23, 2011
Midlothian
Cable or Software?

When I tried connecting the Epic 4G Touch that my friend owns, I was using the same cable I use for my SGH-T989 Galaxy S2 Hurcules (T-Mobile) and I tried the cable that is for my YP-G70 MP3 player (Galaxy Player 5). These are both OEM cables that work with both my phone and player but not the Epic 4G Touch. I tried several of the posted methods but the phone either shows that it is charging with USB connection active or just charging. Does it matter that there is no SD Card?

ADB is installed and works fine cause my phone and player are viewed as Device through ADB.

Last edited:

ratifil

Nov 20, 2007
have changed the AP/CP setting in ##8878# for you guys who did the PRL change and just maybe forgot to change it back.

it works for me :good:

voidbeast

Jul 11, 2010
Athens, OH
I know this is pretty old but I just went through a bunch of frustration with an e4gt Ive been trying to work on. I just wanted to add further confirmation to anyone who may yet have doubts: I tried 6 LG cables (not sure which were optimus but I know some were, but I don't know what other models the rest came from) and they all worked with an LG optimus and a motorola droid x2 and none of them worked on the e4gt. I tried 2 motorola cables and they both worked on all 3 devices. And the samsung usb cable (from another e4gt) worked on all 3 devices. And one cable of unknown origin would connect but transfers would fail and while it would indicate it was charging the battery mAh continued to drop until it was at 0, at which point the phone stayed on showing 0% until I unplugged it later.

So yes, there is definitely merit to the rule that you should always use the cable supplied with your device. Honestly, I never thought that rule was terribly important myself until I did this little test, but i'm convinced now! :laugh: Wish I hadn't spent 6 hours trying to figure out what I thought was a driver problem, though... live and learn I guess.

graydiggy

Sep 26, 2011
Bryan, TX
I know this is pretty old but I just went through a bunch of frustration with an e4gt Ive been trying to work on. I just wanted to add further confirmation to anyone who may yet have doubts: I tried 6 LG cables (not sure which were optimus but I know some were, but I don't know what other models the rest came from) and they all worked with an LG optimus and a motorola droid x2 and none of them worked on the e4gt. I tried 2 motorola cables and they both worked on all 3 devices. And the samsung usb cable (from another e4gt) worked on all 3 devices. And one cable of unknown origin would connect but transfers would fail and while it would indicate it was charging the battery mAh continued to drop until it was at 0, at which point the phone stayed on showing 0% until I unplugged it later.

So yes, there is definitely merit to the rule that you should always use the cable supplied with your device. Honestly, I never thought that rule was terribly important myself until I did this little test, but i'm convinced now! :laugh: Wish I hadn't spent 6 hours trying to figure out what I thought was a driver problem, though... live and learn I guess.

That is a problem with the charging port. They break after awhile on almost any phone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

FuMMoD

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
South Florida
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
In actuality, the absolute best cable to use for this device, is a blackberry cable. Go figure huh? ;)

Rapid charging and it holds in place like a champ! I'm actually using a micro sd white cable I got on eBay for 3 bucks. Way better quality than the Samsung one I got which ended up breaking after only a few months.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4

Reactions: Stryke_the_Orc

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Connect to the computer with usb debugging disabled. It will install a driver, then unplug, enable usb debugging, and you should be able to see it with adb

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    In actuality, the absolute best cable to use for this device, is a blackberry cable. Go figure huh? ;)

Rapid charging and it holds in place like a champ! I'm actually using a micro sd white cable I got on eBay for 3 bucks. Way better quality than the Samsung one I got which ended up breaking after only a few months.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 4