Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,908 Members 54,524 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Anyone trying Windows 8?

Tip us?

|| Acer ||
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 530

DONATE TO ME
Default Anyone trying Windows 8?

Kind of off topic, but I'm just curious to know if anyone's tried out the Windows 8 developer preview. I'm trying it right now, and it's honestly not that bad. Some things still need work, but it's definitely something I could get use to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to || Acer || For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

flimsy888
Old
Thanks Meter 150

DONATE TO ME
I was curious about it too, got a link?

also can i dual boot it with win 7?
HTC One- Viperom W/ Wolfpack Kernel
Nexus 7- Smooth Rom 5 W/ Trinity 7
OC'd 1.5 Ghz
(OLD) Samsung Epic 4G-CM10

I am not responsible for bricked devices, or anything else that u do. YOU are choosing to make these modifications, So don't blame me!

PLEASE CLICK THANKS!

063_XOBX
Old
Thanks Meter 1751
Quote:
Originally Posted by flimsy888 View Post

Yes, and if you really want to get a feel for it lifehacker has an article showing how to share files between the Windows 7 and 8 partitions.

bertm13
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flimsy888 View Post
I was curious about it too, got a link?

I havn't tried it yet, trying to get it to work with vmware.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

xopher.hunter
Old
Thanks Meter 389
I thew it on my 4 year old cheap laptop and after figuring out how to navigate the start menu I really like how fast it is. Only problem is I can't seem to be able to install .net framework, hence phonemypc won't work (I wanted to test drive metro ui on my epic since its touchscreen optimized) I'm gonna keep it on my laptop until the beta expires but I'm sad to say that I want a windows 8 tablet waaaaay more than even an ice cream tablet.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

mooshubob
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Yeah I'm using it on a partition on my brand-new laptop. I really like it actually!

Metro UI is a bit to get used to, but I love using the touchpad multi-touch controls to navigate from panel-mode to the standard desktop, bootup is much faster, and I can share files fine between my regular Win7 partition and the Windows 8 partition.

@xopher.hunter, I had an issue with .NET 3.5, but it installed fine after a restart. YMMV...

I bought a Touchpad during the fire sale, and have yet to receive it from HP Small Business (have to wait for the last production run), but I wanna put Win8 on it when the ARM build gets out.
The Following User Says Thank You to mooshubob For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

A_Flying_Fox
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Im waiting for a windows 8 tablet to come out

I do NOT like the UI for desktops :/

WIndows 7 for my PC, windows 8 for tablet.

fk yeah.

Microsoft killed all of my interest in an android tablet when they revealed the metro ui windows 8. PERFECT TABLET OS (atleast based on what ive seen, it has all the right things.)

---------- Post added at 12:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

actually...i just remembered in a previous video they didnt have metro ui on and it looked like windows 7...so i might just give it a shot if i can take the skin off..

Also, what's phonemypc? Remote desktop thing for the epic im guessing?

jdillard343434
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Lol you mean android prpo lol you dont get win took the source code rewrote it pstent it and you would fund that lol

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

Samsung moment retired
EVO retired
EVO3d retired
Motorola Photon RETIRED
T-989 WHITE sold
galaxy nexus toroplus current
hp touchpad running cm9 current

A_Flying_Fox
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdillard343434 View Post
Lol you mean android prpo lol you dont get win took the source code rewrote it pstent it and you would fund that lol

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App
wut

10char

xopher.hunter
Old
Thanks Meter 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Flying_Fox View Post

Also, what's phonemypc? Remote desktop thing for the epic im guessing?
Its this 10 dollar app in the market, yes it is a remote desktop client but very well done and very simple to set up. Its a freaking life saver if you forget something on your computer.

I still haven't been able to install .net 3.5.1, I even dl'd the standalone but it still wanted to use microsoft update to install, and I rebooted it too. Oh well this is why I put this on my old ass laptop. Runs like a champ though only on 1.86ghz and 1.5gb of ram it seems ready for tablets alredy.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium