[How To] Upload a custom PRL to your Epic Touch 4G
Credit for this should go to Leviuqse
, as I just adapted his guide for the Epic 4G seen here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=898628
USE THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK
What you will need:
Epic 4G Touch Drivers: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45015675/Kie....11071_128.exe
Credit to Korey_Nicholson for finding those
QPST 2.7 Build 323 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45015675/XDA..._build_323.rar
A PRL file
Micro USB cable
Who is this guide for?
-Anyone who wants a different PRL on their device than whats on there already or what the OTA update would give them, or if the OTA update doesn't work
Whats a “PRL”?
-The Preferred Roaming List, this file tells your phone which towers to connect to or in what order. If you have a 1 year old PRL and a new cell phone tower was just installed outside your house 2 months ago, is most likely your phone is not getting the best reception possible.
What are the consequences of roaming?
-While your plan with sprint might show "unlimited" voice and data roaming, that isn't 100% true. Roaming costs sprint money and they don't like paying more for your roaming than they are making off of you. This can result in getting a letter from Sprint saying your contract is being terminated. From what I've seen you don't need to pay an ETF obviously but the amount of roaming that triggers this can vary. But the general guidelines are as follows:
Data roaming > 300mb
Voice roaming > 50% of minutes used
Its best to stay under these if you value your contract but as always there are no guarantees and ymmv.
My samsung phone doesn't get a voice and/or 3G data connection when roaming, (naturally or forced via roam control), why is that?
-The culprit here is the samsung radio bug. There are two bands we get either voice and/or data from, cellular and PCS. Samsung phones cannot roam on the PCS band, this has been a bug for awhile and neither samsung or sprint seem inclined to fix it any time soon. So if your in an area where sprint's roaming partner is broadcasting voice and/or data on the PCS band (and not the cellular) then you won't roam on it.
Getting your SPC\MSL
1. If you have root the MSL reader app (in market) should work (I would assume).
2. Get it from Sprint: this is very easy to do I just opened an Echat and said my phone didn't program itself automatically and the process the rep walked me through involved giving me the MSL.
3. Terminal Method
-change ssh to local
-type a nickname and hit enter/done
-type "getprop ril.MSL" without the quotes, this is case sensitive so some keyboards that screw with capitalization may not allow you to enter this exactly.
The number you see is your MSL.
Updating the PRL
Once you know your MSL, you need to download and install the program QPST 2.7 Build 323, it might be possible to use another version of the program but this guide was made using version 2.7 b323. QPST is not a paid program but is intended for developers, providers and maintenance technicians, according x-drivers.com the software is “freeware”.
1. google, download and install QPST 2.7 Build 323.
2. download the Kies setup program above and install it, included are the drivers you will need.
2.5 Make sure your Epic is not USB debugging mode, to disable, go to settings>applications>development>uncheck USB debugging
3. On your Epic, with the touchscreen dialer, dial ##8778#
4. Change the setting from AP to CP, then hit Home.
5. Connect your phone to your computer with the usb cable.
6. Your computer will automatically install the modem drivers for your Epic wait until you see the “device is ready for use”
7. Open QPST Configurations. Start>All Programs> QPST> QPST Configuration.
8. Click on the “Ports” tab and “Add a new port”
9. Select the “COMXX – USB\QC Diagnostic” and click ok, in my case the port number was 10, your port number will be different, if you see more than one, disconnect all your external devices such as external HDDs, phones, Bluetooth dongles, ect. If you don’t see a port. Disconnect your phone, restart your computer, connect your phone and try again, you might want to remember your Epic’s port number for future use. If you still don't see a port uncheck the box for "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only" and add all of the USB/Unknown ports. One of them should show an active phone.
10. Click “Start Clients” on the top of the program and open Service programming.
11. On the new Phone Selection windows you should see one active phone select it and click ok.
12. Click “Read from the phone” and enter your 6-digit MSL code
13. Click on the “Roam” tab and click the “Browse…” button, here you will need to browse for the PRL file select it and open it.
14. Click “Write to Phone”
15. Your Epic Touch will reboot and you can close all the programs now. On your phone go to settings>about phone>status> and make sure the PRL version matches the PRL number you downloaded, if yes, Congratulations you all done!!
16. Don’t forget to change back the USB settings to AP on the ##8778# menu
Loading different PRLs can allow you to roam on other carriers towers for voice as well as 3G data; just keep in mind that Sprint has terminated accounts due to excessive data and/or voice roaming
. Like I said use at your own risk.
My personal favorite is 11115. This PRL + Roam Control is awesome.
Latest Sprint PRL: 60686
Special Corporate Customer PRLs:
(starting with the most recent)
11119 - Credit to Korey_Nicholson for finding this
I haven't tested 01120, but 11119, 11115 and 11114 allow 3G roaming on Verizon/Alltell towers
In addition from what I understand they are a non-restricted PRL meaning if they can't find a signal listed they will attempt to roam on other signals found even if they aren't on the list
These are modified Verizon PRLs. Your phone won't say its roaming but it is. (check that usage)