[GUIDE] Basic Tips to avoid Bricking your phone

OP shrome99

19th September 2011, 02:34 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Chandigarh
Thanks Meter: 1,530

3,516 posts
More
Hey guys, if you've read around this forum, you must be familiar with the infamous bricked eMMC problems. This, sadly, is a hardware issue, and once it's bricked, you have no choice but to get the eMMC replaced by a professional. Following the popular saying, "Prevention is Better Than Cure", here are a few tips to prevent the eMMC chips from burning

=> Do not download multiple apps at once from the market. Even two simultaneous apps can screw your phone up.

=> Never Use the "UPDATE ALL" feature from the market. Update each app separately.

=> When you flash a new ROM, restore your apps using titanium backup before adding a Google Account. This will prevent the market from restoring all your apps at once.

=> NEVER EVER PULL THE BATTERY This is very important. Pulling your battery out is the most prominent cause of eMMC bricks. Use alternatives like -

=> Use ADB Commands to reboot into recovery

=> Press the Volume up, Volume Down and Power buttons together to reeboot the phone. In a bootloop, take off the battery cover (without pulling the battery) and press the buttons. The phone will turn off for 2-3 seconds before it turns back on. That's your window. Pull the battery in this time.

=> If you absolutely have to pull the battery, re-insert it at least 30 seconds later.
The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to shrome99 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
19th September 2011, 03:03 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag London, Colchester, Wivenhoe
Thanks Meter: 1,909

4,937 posts
More
Lightbulb ADB Commands
ADB Commands

You'll obviously need ADB on your PC, so download and extract the adb & fastboot onto your PC which you'll see in a link in my signature. Ensure that you have HTC drivers on your PC if not also download and install the link in my signature.

Plug phone into PC by USB cable.

Then fire up a CMD on your PC, go to directory where you put adb and issue the command
Code:
adb devices       ---- what is the result?
If your device appears to be recognised that's good, so next try

Code:
adb reboot recovery

OR 

adb reboot bootloader
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ben_pyett For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2011, 11:50 AM   |  #3  
Flag Germany
Thanks Meter: 18

220 posts
Donate to Me
More
I just purchased a new desire s. Is there still a chance that i will get a faulty eMMc chip?
20th September 2011, 12:16 PM   |  #4  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag Chandigarh
Thanks Meter: 1,530

3,516 posts
More
yes, sadly there is.

Run this command in the terminal app or ADB

cat /sys/devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host/mmc0/mmc0:0001/name

Post the result. If it's M4G2DE, your with us, faulty eMMC
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shrome99 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th September 2011, 01:08 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 480

2,077 posts
Nice guide. However, where is it confirmed that only M4G2DE chips are faulty? And if they are, surely not all of them have the fault. Didn't someone report the failure with the other chip too? I have the M4 chip, I've updated many apps at a time, pulled battery numerous times (inserted immediately as well), but never had any issues. I guess it could be safe to say there is no way to actually know for sure which chip is faulty and that everyone should follow this guide regardless.
20th September 2011, 01:31 PM   |  #6  
Flag Germany
Thanks Meter: 18

220 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsubtronic

Nice guide. However, where is it confirmed that only M4G2DE chips are faulty? And if they are, surely not all of them have the fault. Didn't someone report the failure with the other chip too? I have the M4 chip, I've updated many apps at a time, pulled battery numerous times (inserted immediately as well), but never had any issues. I guess it could be safe to say there is no way to actually know for sure which chip is faulty and that everyone should follow this guide regardless.

good argument...will keep that in mind.
20th September 2011, 03:00 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

203 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_pyett

ADB Commands

You'll obviously need ADB on your PC, so download and extract the adb & fastboot onto your PC which you'll see in a link in my signature. Ensure that you have HTC drivers on your PC if not also download and install the link in my signature.

Plug phone into PC by USB cable.

Then fire up a CMD on your PC, go to directory where you put adb and issue the command

Code:
adb devices       ---- what is the result?
If your device appears to be recognised that's good, so next try

Code:
adb reboot recovery

OR 

adb reboot bootloader

can you provide me an instruction on what to type in cmd for me to go to the directory where my ADB is.. for example in local disk D and inside a folder named ADB.. what should i type in cmd? before typing adb devices?
20th September 2011, 03:34 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 480

2,077 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerfdes

can you provide me an instruction on what to type in cmd for me to go to the directory where my ADB is.. for example in local disk D and inside a folder named ADB.. what should i type in cmd? before typing adb devices?

You need to "cd" to the directory where your Android SDK is installed, so eg if it is installed at D:\android-sdk then:

Code:
D:\
cd "\android-sdk\"
And then

Code:
cd "platform-tools"
20th September 2011, 03:45 PM   |  #9  
Flag 1435′N 12058′E
Thanks Meter: 11

163 posts
More
good advice on titanium backup, just after activating my google account on my DS it download all my installed apps. then my phone hangs.
20th September 2011, 03:46 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

203 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsubtronic

You need to "cd" to the directory where your Android SDK is installed, so eg if it is installed at D:\android-sdk then:

Code:
D:\
cd "\android-sdk\"
And then

Code:
cd "platform-tools"

whoa!! im a total noob here.. should i install first android sdk and can you explain to me what is platform tools??

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread