Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,569 Members 44,240 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Which radio?

Tip us?

salmon123a
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Which radio?

Could someone tell me which radio I should flash? I have a T-Mobile UK Atrix. I have unlocked the bootloader and rooted it. I'm running Mega Orange 1.1 deBlurred + 2.1 update.

Thanks

salmon123a
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Wow this rom has awful battery life. Using cyanogenmod now, its way cooler and doesn't use so much battery and my phone seems to have stopped randomly turning off :)

Maringer
Old
Thanks Meter 69
I've just bought an Atrix myself and have installed CM7. Battery seems to be draining a little faster than I expected under the stock radio included in CM7 and signal strength seems to be lower than on my old Defy. On the Defy, I had full signal at work but I only seem to get 2 bars on the Atrix.

I'm with giffgaff and have just installed the Bell radio linked in the first post of the CM7 thread. Signal strength seems to be the same but I'll have to see if battery drain is less.

I think I may have been spoilt with my undervolted Defy which easily achieved over 2 days usage with light use. Hopefully, I can set up the Atrix to manage the same in due course!

Clienterror
Old
Thanks Meter 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maringer View Post
I've just bought an Atrix myself and have installed CM7. Battery seems to be draining a little faster than I expected under the stock radio included in CM7 and signal strength seems to be lower than on my old Defy. On the Defy, I had full signal at work but I only seem to get 2 bars on the Atrix.

I'm with giffgaff and have just installed the Bell radio linked in the first post of the CM7 thread. Signal strength seems to be the same but I'll have to see if battery drain is less.

I think I may have been spoilt with my undervolted Defy which easily achieved over 2 days usage with light use. Hopefully, I can set up the Atrix to manage the same in due course!
You really need to look at db for signal. My torch 9810 shows full bars at my house and my atrix shows one but the db is within like 3 of one another. The torch just has really over inflated bars. Just something to be aware of.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Maringer
Old
(Last edited by Maringer; 22nd September 2011 at 04:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clienterror View Post
You really need to look at db for signal. My torch 9810 shows full bars at my house and my atrix shows one but the db is within like 3 of one another. The torch just has really over inflated bars. Just something to be aware of.

Yeah, I realise that this could be a possibility. My thinking is that the number of bars on show may relate to similar signal levels as both phones are Motorola devices. That's probably too logical, however!

I think I'll probably check the db levels with my Defy when I find the time - either to set my mind at rest or leave me frustrated with the Atrix reception!

Edit: Nope, reception is definitely worse with the Atrix. I was hoping for better reception due to the larger size of the phone and (I assume) a better aerial.

Testing at my desk, the Atrix has a signal between -103 to -107 dBm with 3 or 4 ASU.

Using the same SIM in my Defy, signal is between -93 and 97 dBm with 8 to 10 ASU.

This isn't too much of a problem here at work or around most of my home town where giffgaff reception is good, but I'm a bit worried I'll be without a signal too often once I'm out of town.

After trying the ATT and Bell radios which both seem to have similar reception, perhaps I need to go looking for others. I wonder if the Orange France Gingerbread will be any better? I'm in the UK but perhaps a radio designed for Europe will be an improvement over one designed for the US.