Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 41,405 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can the Sony Tablet S Accept 64gb SD Cards?

Tip us?

sonus
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsky View Post
you can use an external HD as long as it is formatted FAT32 and it is up to 500gb, that's at least confirmed by Sony.
Any idea if it supports partitions? My external is bigger than 500GB, but I could make a 500GB partition, if that would indeed work.
Phones
SonyEricsson T68i / SonyEricsson T616 / HTC Tornado/ HTC Touch Cruise / HTC Touch Diamond 2 / Apple iPhone 3G / LG KS20 / SonyEricsson Xperia X1a/ LG Optimus 7 (e900h)/ Sony Xperia SL...like my old WinMo devices, it gets buggier with every update

Tablets
HP Touchpad/ HTC Flyer/ MS Surface / Sony Vaio Duo i7 & iPad Mini

pauLegend
Old
Thanks Meter 1
My hitachi 1TB external hard drive works well! yes it has to formatted in fat32 and had to be self powered but im about to exchange movie files easily!

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 PM ----------

one partition btw!

ps3taker
Old
Thanks Meter 40
I tried two 500gb drives and they don't get enough power from the tablet. A work around is two use y-split usb cable and power one end from a laptop or similar unless your drive comes with the separate power adapter already. I wonder if there is a drive which would get enough juice from tablet alone somehow.

Sent from my R800i

pratishk
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Anyone else used 64gig cards on the tablet yet?

Evo 4G63
Old
Thanks Meter 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratishk View Post
Anyone else used 64gig cards on the tablet yet?
I'm not using a 64gb card, but I am using a 128gb card. It works fine so far; I am able to transfer files easily and I can play music off of it with PowerAmp. The only problems I have so far are my Astro file manager won't detect the card so I can't browse through my files, and my QuickPic is unable to load my images in the card. I'm not sure if it's the software issue or not.
Another problem is that the card came in formatted as the exFat format; a format my Tablet S won't read. And since Windows won't allow anything over 32gb to be formatted to Fat32, I had to use a third party program to format it. I used EASEUS Partition Master to format it. It's a free and works great. Sorry, I can't post the download link yet until I get some more post counts .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evo 4G63 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pratishk
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks Evo 4G63,

Just what I needed to know. I could not format to FAT32, windows only ever let me format exFAT32.

Will look at the progam you mentioned, annoyingly I sent my 64gig back!might have to order agiain...

datshim
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratishk View Post
Thanks Evo 4G63,

Just what I needed to know. I could not format to FAT32, windows only ever let me format exFAT32.

Will look at the progam you mentioned, annoyingly I sent my 64gig back!might have to order agiain...
Can anyone confirm that this worked? Thanks

nismo929
Old
Thanks Meter 1
This might be the best news since sliced bread!! No issues with that big of a card?

File manager HD is a great apk too for sorting out your files from your sd and your internal. But as mentioned in an above post....you can only play movies one at a time....which isn't so bad, but when you have 178 pictures you want to show....individually...its a pain in the butt. I will be testing out a 128gb sdxc card very soon myself. This would eliminate having to swap my movies all the time.
Thanks for the info....

Silver-Eye
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo929 View Post
This might be the best news since sliced bread!! No issues with that big of a card?

File manager HD is a great apk too for sorting out your files from your sd and your internal. But as mentioned in an above post....you can only play movies one at a time....which isn't so bad, but when you have 178 pictures you want to show....individually...its a pain in the butt. I will be testing out a 128gb sdxc card very soon myself. This would eliminate having to swap my movies all the time.
Thanks for the info....
For the pictures I use quickpic app, a bit more slow than the native app, but does the job.. oh yeah it reads from the sd card

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver-Eye For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pratishk
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by datshim View Post
Can anyone confirm that this worked? Thanks
Hi datshim,

Yes it works. Ordered another card, tried various fat32 formatters with no joy. Used the one mentioned by Evo 4g63 and it worked a treat! I only got 60gig, but hey my whole music collection is copying over as i type!