Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,176 Members 51,429 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Verizon Forced Update ??

Tip us?

diesel43078
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default Verizon Forced Update ??

So verizon forces this update to my phone. Not sure what it was, but it didn't give me an option to cancel, or defer. Now when my phone tries to boot, I get the little android error screen with the triangle and exclamation point, and the phone will not boot. I have already booted into recovery, and wiped everything with no luck at all. Did a full wipe and restore, which had it up and running again, but this morning, same thing. Triangle and exclamation point error screen from where the update was unsuccessful. What do I need to do to block this update so I don't have to do a restore every few hours? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Anthony
Device : Verizon Incredible 2 - S-Off
ROM : Constantly changing

ben805
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Same crap happened to my wife's phone yesterday, she is running Skyraider and VZW keep trying to forced update and fux0r the rom, had to wiped cache/dalvik, reload the rom on top of it so she can retain her data, as soon as I loaded up the phone I turned off the wifi, 3G, and auto sync then immediately performed the following steps to stop that ****.

otacerts.zip (rename it .bak or whatever)
com.smithmicro.dm (freeze it with titanium backup)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ing+OTA&page=2

Glock2005
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I don't have the "donate" version of backup, so I can't freeze the stuff. If I unroot, I assume it will fix the problems.

edster00
Old
(Last edited by edster00; 25th September 2011 at 04:48 PM.)
Thanks Meter 21
Here's what I did after accepting the update:

I am rooted (stock rom) and accepted the OTA, after the install the phone will not boot completely it will fail with a white triangle, yellow exclamation point and blue android. To get the phone working again pull the battery, re-insert after a bit and boot into hboot, go to recovery and clear cache partition, this will put the phone back into service. I didn't wipe the davlik.

I got another forced OTA d/l yesterday and had to redo the above. I have renamed the otacerts.zip to .bak and I am anxiously waiting what happens the next time the OTA tries to d/l.

CrazyFireman
Old
Thanks Meter 2
there are 2 otacerts.zip files:

etc/security

system/etc/security

which one needs to be renamed?

thanks.

sixteen2nd
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock2005 View Post
I don't have the "donate" version of backup, so I can't freeze the stuff. If I unroot, I assume it will fix the problems.
I used AntTek App Manager (free in the Market) to freeze it.

ben805
Old
(Last edited by ben805; 25th September 2011 at 08:10 PM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tincbtrar View Post
You are kidding right? The one app that just about everyone should have (and support the developer so he can continue to provide support to us) and you resort to Warez?

Lame.

And to the OP - once you have secured the donate version of TiBu you can freeze the com.smithmicro.dm file like stated before.
I paid for mine and many other apps, and I have donated to devs who gave us root. As you said Titanium Backup is one of those must have apps that we all should buy, but don't be so arrogant to assume everybody has the extra cash to pay for the apps.

xHoLyx
Old
Thanks Meter 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben805 View Post
I paid for mine and many other apps, and I have donated to devs who gave us root. As you said Titanium Backup is one of those must have apps that we all should buy, but don't be so arrogant to assume everybody has the extra cash to pay for the apps.
If you have paid $100~300 for a smartphone and pays $30 a month, I think you can pay $6. If you can't pay for one time deal, why would you have a smartphone that costs you $30+ a month? Promoting warez site is against the XDA rule and no respect to developers

Sent from my Incredible 2 using xda premium
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

IRC: #TeamSbrissenMod
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xHoLyx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tincbtrar
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben805 View Post
Maybe I was a bit harsh - and I am sorry for calling you out.

Its just that I would find it hard to believe that the OP couldnt afford a 6 dollar app after paying a couple hundred bucks for the phone and about 70 to 100 a month for service.

Its like buying a luxury car but not being able to pay for the maintainence and upkeep.

cac2us
Old
(Last edited by cac2us; 25th September 2011 at 11:58 PM.) Reason: an option
Thanks Meter 55
Smile anti leach

I proudly pay what little money I can to developers.
If I "Try" an app and plan to use it, then I pay for it.
I try to show some form of dignity to people that follow my lead..

An option would be to unroot and do what vomitrizen wants you to do.

If you can't afford to support the development community you should not be here.

And to crazyfireman, the same file is showing in two paths only because there second folder containing actual file.
Change either one and youwill be good.

Have a nice day...
Rest In Peace Baby Brother....8-7-10..

Of course they better Watch out for Ricochets..

The Following User Says Thank You to cac2us For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]