[DEV][CDMA/GSM] Group Effort to Optimize Existing HoneyComb Ports

26th September 2011, 03:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 84

797 posts
Full credit goes to Ssserpentine, SpaceMoose, and OldMacnut for their work on their united efforts to port Honeycomb to our tablets! It seems they are no longer working on it so I decided to create this thread and see what we all could to do together to improve what they have given us!

The point of this thread is to find ways to gather anyone with knowledge on developing, even if its just the "lowly 7-Zippers" like me, to see how we can remove minor bugs and small issues from the ROM. I know Oldmacnut was going to pick it up, but he has a lot on his plate right now and he has been in pain and is more interested in finishing the CM7 Port instead. I respect his decision, but so many people want honeycomb working on our tabs. So I am turning to the dev community here to see if we can group together and fix things in this rom together. If we cant solve the major bugs, lets address all the little things, cuz the little things add up.

Spacemoose made a list of suggestions from users earlier on how to solve minor issues, and little workarounds, but I would like to see if there is a way to roll up those fixes into one full updated ROM flashable through a zip/odin/heimdall file, and see if we can come up with more. You can see this post here, but I have added them to the second post as well in a more organized form.

Some Useful Links as Well:
SpaceMoose's Github
6-19-11 Apps Confirmed Working on [CDMA] / [GSM] Honeycomb Alpha 2.5

Currently Known Bugs:

CDMA

A) Red Border Around Screen at Random Times
B) Constant Gallery Force Close
C) Stock Launcher hangs for many seconds at a time randomly
D) SD Card Does Not Mount
E) Youtube app does not work
F) Orientation Sensor is not functional
G) Honeycomb thinks Device Keyboard is enabled by default

H) When pressing Quick Settings, an image that is semi transparent that is supposed to cover the entire screen isnt scaled properly
I) HQ Youtube does not work (LQ does on the mobile site)
J) Quick Settings Shortcut on Bottom Right Side (Wi-Fi Toggle, Brightness Slider, etc) appears for a second but disappears afterwards.
K) Flash Player is not Fully Functional

GSM - Please Submit or confirm if the above bugs are the same and/or you have different ones!

Red - Signifies an issue that is unaddressed or has not been solved yet.
Orange - Signifies a Temporary Fix or Workaround is mentioned in the post I linked to.
Blue - Will signify a temporary fix or a work around that we have been able to include in a flashable file
Green - Will signify a bug that has been completely fixed in a flashable file.

------------------------------------------
Lets put our minds together and see what we can do guys! Btw this was inspired by Rodderik's thread [SPRINT][CDMA]Galaxy Tab (SPH-P100) Mega Development Starter Thread (CWM, EF17 TAR), so if youre interested in this, you might like his thread too!
Last edited by speedysilwady; 26th September 2011 at 08:10 AM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to speedysilwady For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th September 2011, 03:18 AM   |  #2  
OP Senior Member

797 posts
Current Workarounds/Temporary Fixes:

Letters correspond to the bugs listed in the OP.

A)
Quote:

Ssserpentine:
1) Open up Dev Tools
2) Go to Development Settings
3) StrictMode Visual Indicator - turn it off
4) back out of app and now open it again.
5) If this doesn't get rid of MOST of the red borders, REBOOT and open app again.

B)
Quote:

anfalas:
"Get Gallery3D to play nice by going into settings, applications then 'Clear Data' - works great, can change wallpaper etc. Only downside is it has to be done each reboot....."

C)
Quote:

Ssserpentine:
“WANT IMPROVED UI, LESS RED BORDERS, LESS FC'S AND SCROLLING AND SOFT KEYS THAT PLAY NICER? Try adw launcher. for some reason just having it installed helps just as much as using it.”

D)
Quote:

mattman83:
"to mount UMS if you have no external SD then use the below line. Same changes as above... echo /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 > /sys/devices/platform/s3c-usbgadget/gadget/lun1/file"

or
Quote:

corodius:
"if you have an external sd, by extending the commands to: su mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/sdcard/ mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd/ This will mount the cards the way they are originally mounted in the samsung/overcome roms."

E)
Quote:

Use m.youtube.com to play LQ videos

F)
Quote:

ztag100:
"If you download barcontrol from the market, you can set it so that a notification links to the rotation app, thus when the notification is clicked it will change the orientation."

G)
Quote:

"one way to load keyboards On the language/keyboard settings page, turn physical keyboard to "no" or "off" or something like that. Now when on a text field, you should see a small keyboard tray in bottom right corner.."

H) ---

I) ---

J) ---

K) ---

----------------------------
Submit a New Bug or Fix:
Please submit bugs using the color coded system I explained in the OP. If you are submitting information on solving a bug please address the bug by the corresponding letter so that we can stay organized and know what youre talking about. If you have a new bug please check the OP to make sure I havent listed it, then post it on here and dont worry about the letter, I will alphabetize them. Of course I will credit you in the OP for any fixes or workarounds you may find! Good luck to us all!
Last edited by speedysilwady; 26th September 2011 at 07:56 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to speedysilwady For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th September 2011, 03:18 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

797 posts
Reserved as well!
The Following User Says Thank You to speedysilwady For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th September 2011, 03:29 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 7

30 posts
Thumbs up Yes, please
I would really love a Honeycomb ROM for the Galaxy Tab. There are many reasons why I want to put Honeycomb onto the original Galaxy Tab.

Just see the difference for yourself: Blank space, single pane, one-category-at-a-time menus in Gingerbread

VS.

Less blank space, concise, dual pane interfaces in Honeycomb.

Gingerbread apps are just designed for smaller smartphone screens, so they look too big and spaced-out on the 7-inch Galaxy Tab for my taste. I would really love to see some tablet-optimized apps on the Galaxy Tab!

-------------------------

And yes, I respect the developers and appreciate them so much for the time they put into making custom roms a reality for us!
26th September 2011, 05:29 AM   |  #5  
Flag Hull
Thanks Meter: 891

4,092 posts
Please make the thread for GSM also.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheATHEiST For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th September 2011, 07:19 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

797 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheATHEiST

Please make the thread for GSM also.

Are the bugs the same? Or are there others that I havent mentioned? I will try to make a section for both tabs if theres different bugs in each one.
26th September 2011, 08:02 AM   |  #7  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 4

27 posts
Why no mention of ssserpentine?
In op or thread tittle?
He worked on the GSM version.
Moose did the major part of the port and the cdma version.
That other person stumbled, or so he claims, on a audio fix. Never saw a release of this apparent audio fix.
Wonder how many donations he got on open thread with no release posted.
Hmm.
Makes ya wonder why that thread is even there.
Dole out the credits properly.
Just know it needed to be said, and go ahead and get mad. Truth hurts.
alot of angry responces coming, maybe, but dare ya to point out a single lie in this post. Even an exaggeration.

Moose did hc for MONTHS and noone offered any valid help, except ssserpentine, why do you think anyone is gonna get off their but now?
Why don't you, punkrock?
Cause I know how utterly hopeless this task is.
Why don't you all just wait for the leak of the next os?
That so much closer than some random Joe, or Joe's on xda getting hc ported at this point .
is the dead horse braised yet?

Still, hope is eternal, I suppose
The Following User Says Thank You to PunkRock For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th September 2011, 08:05 AM   |  #8  
OP Senior Member

797 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkRock

Why no mention of ssserpentine?
In op or thread tittle?
He worked on the GSM version.
Moose did the major part of the port and the cdma version.
That other person stumbled, or so he claims, on a audio fix. Never saw a release of this apparent audio fix.
Wonder how many donations he got on open thread with no release posted.
Hmm.
Makes ya wonder why that thread is even there.
Dole out the credits properly.
Just know it needed to be said, and go ahead and get mad. Truth hurts.
alot of angry responces coming, maybe, but dare ya to point out a single lie in this post. Even an exaggeration.

Moose did hc for MONTHS and noone offered any valid help, except ssserpentine, why do you think anyone is gonna get off their but now?
Why don't you, punkrock?
Cause I know how utterly hopeless this task is.
Why don't you all just wait for the leak of the next os?
That so much closer than some random Joe, or Joe's on xda getting hc ported at this point .
is the dead horse braised yet?

Easy man, in my frenzy of trying to organize the thread, I forgot to credit Ssserpentine in the OP, youre right he did contribute a lot, no need to be rash, I will update it right now.

EDIT: btw oldmacnut did make an audio fix, im running his rom right now, I downloaded it when he had it posted before he took it down, and Im sure some of the bugs I mentioned are fixable on the rom level rather than through adb. My goal wasnt to debug the rom completely, it was to incorporate all the existing bug fixes and workarounds into one rom, while possibly solving others. Also the GSM devs are aplenty here, while we barely have any CDMA, Im sure we have enough talent to make it better than what it is. It might not be flawless, but Im sure we can squeeze more functionality out of it.
Last edited by speedysilwady; 26th September 2011 at 08:20 AM.
26th September 2011, 02:41 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 446

534 posts
Donate to Me
More
Its weird,

Honeycomb is more or less froyo based, obviously as we had hc long before gb, so at the time when I started getting into this whole dev thing hc/froyo seemed just different to me.

But after working on the abortion called gingerbread, and working onbthe kernel stuff, froyo to me, is starting to look like a much more viable and dev friendly option.

Alot if the work Dan did in hc was from scratch, or from the sdk, etc. The audio fix I did was from both.

The big issue on getting hc up and going into a usuable rom is source, we really really need that source for hc. Otherwise, its going to be a long drawn out road of trial and error building with alot of these issues never really getting fixed.

Truth is,
No device with our hardware exists with hc, so no drivers that we need.
We need Google to release the hc source.

I liked hc on my tab just like y'all, but.......I know its just a novel weekend fun toy till we get better resources.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using xda premium
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldmacnut For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th September 2011, 02:52 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

797 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmacnut

Its weird,

Honeycomb is more or less froyo based, obviously as we had hc long before gb, so at the time when I started getting into this whole dev thing hc/froyo seemed just different to me.

But after working on the abortion called gingerbread, and working onbthe kernel stuff, froyo to me, is starting to look like a much more viable and dev friendly option.

Alot if the work Dan did in hc was from scratch, or from the sdk, etc. The audio fix I did was from both.

The big issue on getting hc up and going into a usuable rom is source, we really really need that source for hc. Otherwise, its going to be a long drawn out road of trial and error building with alot of these issues never really getting fixed.

Truth is,
No device with our hardware exists with hc, so no drivers that we need.
We need Google to release the hc source.

I liked hc on my tab just like y'all, but.......I know its just a novel weekend fun toy till we get better resources.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using xda premium

Yeah I know, the lack of source sucks along with the fact we dont have drivers. I dont think we'll have everything working anytime soon at all, if ever even, but I think some of the minor annoyances like the disappearing quick settings toggle, sdcard mounting issues, and graphical errors can be solved without that kind of stuff. Me personally, Id just like HQ Video Playback and 3D Graphics working a hundred percent along with orientation, but as you said no drivers so idk how easy that'd be. Still, Im sure we could solve some of these minor issues. I keep browsing over the Nook Color Forums trying to find hints to solving some of these things

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread