Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,319 Members 53,176 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Attn1 Hack Kit and ROM Questions

Tip us?

techcheat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Attn1 Hack Kit and ROM Questions

I am a noob and recently got my hands on Inspire 4g. I have read the guide posted by Attn1 for hacking the phone. However I have the following questions:

1) Once the phone is hacked how do I install a custom ROM. The attn1 steps are not clear in this regards. I mean I disable fast boot -> Reboot into recover.> select and browse to the ROM file using volume and power? Is that all to it

2) Can I use my SD Card (I have only 1) that I convert for Gold card for other things like pictures, custom roms etc. In other words can I delete my GOLD card and use it for porting ROMs

MMM-BACONSTRIPS
Old
Thanks Meter 1,084
Regarding your first question, it's rather simple. Download the zip file for the specific rom you want. Place that zip file (do not unzip) on your SD card. Boot into recovery. Choose install zip from SD card. Pick the zip file. Wait for it to flash and your done. Reboot and have yourself a beer. Read the rom thread for the rom you want as some may require specific instructions for that specific rom.

Gene Poole
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by techcheat View Post

2) Can I use my SD Card (I have only 1) that I convert for Gold card for other things like pictures, custom roms etc. In other words can I delete my GOLD card and use it for porting ROMs
The gold card is only needed for one step of the process. Once rooted, you cando anything you want with it. Format it, keep it as a spare, exchange it to another device, etc.

techcheat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for all your suggestions. Now I am rooted

The next part is, can someone recommend the best ROM out there for my phone. I specially like the HTC Isnpire ring thingie.

Also would I have to format my SD card (gold card) or can I just place the ROOT on the SD card without formatting. Reason I want to refrain from format is I just downloaded many apps on my SD card.

Wolf
Old
(Last edited by Wolf; 26th September 2011 at 06:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,202

DONATE TO ME
You do not have to format your card. When you wipe before installing a rom it will delete your data in your phone. You need to backup your apps with a program such as Titanium Backup. Only restore apps and their data. Do not restore any system data. You can use Rom Manager to reboot into recovery. Use volume keys for up and down and power to select. Choose wipe option first and wipe cache, dalvik cache, and data/factory restore. Then go back and choose the install file from sd card, select the rom zip file on your card and flash. As far as roms go, it is subjective. It sounds as if you like sense roms. You can look in development. They are all good. Just read the descriptions and try the ones that sound good to you.
Thanks to all who contribute.

techcheat
Old
(Last edited by techcheat; 26th September 2011 at 07:23 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I was looking at CoreDroid's Inspire 4G ROM and it stated that I need to be ENG-OFF. Now as far as I know I am Radio S-OFF as per ACE hack kit. Please validate that the two are different.

Also can you please ellaborate on the backup of current ROM procedure before proceeding with installing the new ROM. I had done the following:

1) Installed ROM Manager and booted into Recovery and created a backup of my current ROM

2) I now can place the zip file on my SD card and boot into recovery and do one of two things:

a) Clean/Wipe and than select ZIP file
b) Just select the ZIP file without cleaning or wiping

3) If for some reason the ROM fails, can I just use ROM manager and backup my original ROM

I dont care about programs much as I have just been 4 hours with the phone and dont care if all data is lost. Just dont wanna brick it.

4) The CoreDroid ROM is asking me for Radio upgrade. I am guessing I have to use the ENG-OFF tool before upgrading Radio. Just a dumb noob question, cant I use my stock radio with the ROM that came as a part of ACE Hack kit. I am little worried about upgrading radio as Attn1's post mention phone can be bricked

MMM-BACONSTRIPS
Old
(Last edited by MMM-BACONSTRIPS; 26th September 2011 at 07:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1,084
[/COLOR]
Quote:
I was looking at CoreDroid's Inspire 4G ROM and it stated that I need to be ENG-OFF. Now as far as I know I am Radio S-OFF as per ACE hack kit. Please validate that the two are different.

Also can you please ellaborate on the backup of current ROM procedure before proceeding with installing the new ROM. I had done the following:

1) Installed ROM Manager and booted into Recovery and created a backup of my current ROM

2) I now can place the zip file on my SD card and boot into recovery and do one of two things:

a) Clean/Wipe and than select ZIP file
b) Just select the ZIP file without cleaning or wiping

3) If for some reason the ROM fails, can I just use ROM manager and backup my original ROM

I dont care about programs much as I have just been 4 hours with the phone and dont care if all data is lost. Just dont wanna brick it.

4) The CoreDroid ROM is asking me for Radio upgrade. I am guessing I have to use the ENG-OFF tool before upgrading Radio. Just a dumb noob question, cant I use my stock radio with the ROM that came as a part of ACE Hack kit. I am little worried about upgrading radio as Attn1's post mention phone can be bricked
I don't believe you have to be eng-s off to flash coredroid. I flashed coredroid and I'm only S-off. Radio's vary from person to person. One radio for "x" person may be awesome but you try the same radio and the results are sub par. If the rom recommends a radio, I typically flash the radio since the rom includes that RIL for the recommended radio.

As for flashing radios, I know the eng-s off way is risky which is why I never tried it. I know there is a radio thread in the Dev section and if you search the specific rom thread you'll probably find someone who already made the "PD98IMG.zip" file for those who are s-off only. The Dev section radio thread will have the .zip file made and ready. Pretty much once you get the PD98IMG.zip file (yes, it MUST be named PD98IMG.zip). you put it on the root of your SD card. Restart into bootloader, and run Hboot. It will find the img and boom, flashed radio. Someone else is gonna have to chime in on this for how to check as I'm not near my phone to see what apps I use, but you'll also notice that there are the md5 sum checks, that's just to a safeguard to be sure that the file isn't corrupt. If the file is corrupt and you try to flash the radio, nothing good can come from it. Hope that helps. A little tip with flashing radios, once you download the radio file, and you check the md5 sum numbers. If you try to flash the radio and the bootloader tells you img not found, and you renamed the file yourself and you added ".zip" to the end of the file, try removing the .zip because I did that once and the name the phone was recognizing was "PD98IMG.zip.zip"

techcheat
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Guys I am stuck and need urgent help.

I wanted to try the Revolution HD ROM and tried the following:

•Download ROM and place it on your SD card
•Download "Super Wipe" script & place it on your SD card (optionally if coming from earlier version of my ROM, obligatory if coming from stock or other custom ROM)
•Boot your phone in recovery mode (vol down + power)

As soon as I booted my phone with vol down + power my phone vibrated three times. Now its showing a blank screen and green light. I dont know what to do. Urgent help appreciated.

Wolf
Old
Thanks Meter 1,202

DONATE TO ME
You do not need to be Eng-S-off. Grab the PD98IMG file from the radio thread. Flash it in Hboot as per the directions. I am not at my computer right now, but go to the themes thread and find the boot splash thread by mudknot. Look for one of the last posts made by me. Download and run the MD5 checking program I posted. It is an easy way to check MD5 sums.
When you make a backup via rom manager, you back up the entire rom. If you restore it you restore the entire previous rom. You make backups in case of emergencies. If you don't care about your data then just wipe and flash after backing up.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Guys I am stuck and need urgent help.

I wanted to try the Revolution HD ROM and tried the following:

•Download ROM and place it on your SD card
•Download "Super Wipe" script & place it on your SD card (optionally if coming from earlier version of my ROM, obligatory if coming from stock or other custom ROM)
•Boot your phone in recovery mode (vol down + power)

As soon as I booted my phone with vol down + power my phone vibrated three times. Now its showing a blank screen and green light. I dont know what to do. Urgent help appreciated.
Pull your battery out, put it back in, and try rebooting your phone.
Thanks to all who contribute.

azhar.vista
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Unhappy Urgent help needed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf_2 View Post
You do not need to be Eng-S-off. Grab the PD98IMG file from the radio thread. Flash it in Hboot as per the directions. I am not at my computer right now, but go to the themes thread and find the boot splash thread by mudknot. Look for one of the last posts made by me. Download and run the MD5 checking program I posted. It is an easy way to check MD5 sums.
When you make a backup via rom manager, you back up the entire rom. If you restore it you restore the entire previous rom. You make backups in case of emergencies. If you don't care about your data then just wipe and flash after backing up.

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Pull your battery out, put it back in, and try rebooting your phone.
hey guys ...i just need your help...I have stock Android 2.2 Inspire 4G and I want to root & unlock it through HACK ACE KIT.

I have some problems:

1) IS IT POSSIBLE TO RUN HACK KIT ON STOCK FROYO INSPIRE 4G AND THEN MANUALLY UPDATE IT TO OFFICIAL ATT GINGERBREAD UPDATE?
WILL ROOT, S-OFF AND RECOVERY REMAIN AFTER 2.3 UPDATE?

2)OR SHOULD I MANUALLY UPGRADE TO OFFICIAL GINGERBREAD FIRST AND THEN RUN THE HACK KIT?

I DONT WANT CUSTOMS ROMS..ONLY HTC ATT STOCK
ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED

Android L Will Have Data Encryption Turned On by Default

Android L, once it is eventually released, will featuredata encryption turned on by … more

Lock Apps and Functions Easily with Droid Protector

Access and security are some of the key issues facingmobile technology. Whether … more

ARChon Lets You Run Android Apps in Google Chrome Browser

Not too long ago, Google added the ability torun select Android applications on … more

Flyme OS Finds Its Way to the Google Nexus 5

Flyme OS is a heavily modified Android variantdeveloped by the Meizu team for their MX … more