Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,606 Members 47,192 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Evo 4g Touchstone wireless induction charging mod.

Tip us?

asmd6230
Old
(Last edited by asmd6230; 26th September 2011 at 09:26 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Default Evo 4g Touchstone wireless induction charging mod.

I recently got a HP Touchpad bundle and while the Touchpad is pretty darned decent and definitely worth a hundred bucks, what really impressed me was the touchstone charging dock. Its brilliant.

I looked into it and found the the palm pre also had this and some chap on the net had figured out how to shoehorn the unit into an evo.

I did the mod to mine and its amazing. No more charging cables. Yay!

This is my take on it - tutorial with pictures: http://asmd.wordpress.com/2011/09/26...-modification/

This should come standard in all wireless devices!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to asmd6230 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mbaseball3
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Nice mod! Looks better and I'm sure doesn't fail as bad as the powermat charger.

Sent from my Gruesomes Rom using Tapatalk

Blackcircle
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Nice mod. Thanks for sharing.

via EVO.
ROM: NFSFAN 6.5 V1 Final---HTC Touch
ROM: EnergyROM 23559 April 18th, 2010 Co0kie 1.7.1 Sense 2.5---HTC Touch Pro 2

HTC Evo 4G-MikG 2.2
HTC Evo 4G-Synergy
HTC Evo 3D-Virus Eternity
HTC Evo 4G LTE

haroldgv
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Hi, this is a great mod!

Noob question: I noticed the charging light but the charging icon does not change on your screen. Just curious if once that the battery is completely charged, the icon will turn green. If so I wonder if the charging unit from the Pixi will stop charging the battery once it's full.

Also, compared to charging it directly from the AC Adapter, how long does it take to get a full charge? Is it the same aprox?

I'm planning on taking a look at my Inspire and see if the back cover allows me to put the charging unit there.

Thanks in advance

uniquenameevo
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I did this about a week after launch. Very cool...but over time the novelty wore off.

I got sick of the bulge and ripped it out.

jdgiotta
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Nice! I wonder if I do the same with the Powermat case...

I have the Powermat, but the only caveat is that it requires a bridge connector between the case and micro-usb port.
Device: Samsung Galaxy SIII
ROM: CyanogenMod 10.1 NIGHTLY
Kernel: CM

asmd6230
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldgv View Post
Hi, this is a great mod!

Noob question: I noticed the charging light but the charging icon does not change on your screen. Just curious if once that the battery is completely charged, the icon will turn green. If so I wonder if the charging unit from the Pixi will stop charging the battery once it's full.

Also, compared to charging it directly from the AC Adapter, how long does it take to get a full charge? Is it the same aprox?

I'm planning on taking a look at my Inspire and see if the back cover allows me to put the charging unit there.

Thanks in advance
Im running MikG v2.5 Rom and the charging icon flashes between the lighting bolt charging icon and % so you can see at what % the battery is at while charging. When i took the picture, it was showing %, but rest assured it flashes between the two just as if it was plugged in the usb cable.

The Induction charging puck is dumb, it only supplies power much like a usb cable. The charging circuit in the Evo decides when the battery is fully charged and stops charging. The Evo for all intensive purposes acts and behaves exactly as if the usb cable was plugged in. It cant tell if power is coming from the puck or the usb cable. I wouldnt plug in the cable while its on the puck though. Although the voltage will remain the same, about 5 volts, the amperage will increase, a doubling in amperage shouldnt break anything but i havent found out the hard way.

The puck takes the same amount of time to charge as the usb cable. I havent seen any significant difference between the two.

There really isnt much of a bulge of the back case with using 30 awg wire. Just seat it flat and make sure nothing from the cover crimps on it, and its pretty much neat and tidy.

Ive seen this mod done with flat ribbon cable which would work just as well, although in not sure how it was routed through the phone.

regards,
asmd.
The Following User Says Thank You to asmd6230 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

asmd6230
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquenameevo View Post
I did this about a week after launch. Very cool...but over time the novelty wore off.

I got sick of the bulge and ripped it out.
30 awg wire or flat ribbon cable solves the bulge problem. Ive got pucks everywhere, several at home, several at work... and its great not to have to plug it in.

It serves as my phone holder and charging unit. i've set the phone screen not to go to sleep while charging, so it makes for a nice display as well. With the screen left on, it does take longer to charge though.

regards,
asmd.

Childofthehorn
Old
(Last edited by Childofthehorn; 27th September 2011 at 08:21 PM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 161

DONATE TO ME
Yeah,

I did this a Loooooong Time ago using the Palm Pixi touchstone cover.
http://doesitpew.blogspot.com/2011/0...nd-one-of.html
Here is what it looks like with a custom clear back cover.

The Pixi cover is substantially thinner than the Pre cover and can be fit easily without bulge.

It actually held my phone up hovering in the car while driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to Childofthehorn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

asmd6230
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgiotta View Post
Nice! I wonder if I do the same with the Powermat case...

I have the Powermat, but the only caveat is that it requires a bridge connector between the case and micro-usb port.
Its been done. Apparently its quite easy to replace the powermat induction unit with the pixi unit. and the cover fits perfectly.

I opted not to get the powermat case as i wasnt keen on the bridge with the usb dongle sticking out the bottom.

Ive havent heard many good things about it, pretty much nothing but complaints about the powermat induction charging unit which is why i decided on this mod and i can tell you it works, it simply works, perfectly every time.

[IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

regards,
asmd.