Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Official ROM v3.42/3.62 (European Viewpad 7's)

OP astuermer

29th September 2011, 11:51 AM   |  #11  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 103

631 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosty_uk

hardware version 106 is ITE i have this also,

mine is also andriod 2.2.2

glad to know the compass issue is a universal thing not just cuz i rooted my device.

Hmm, is rooting directly related to the compass issue?
I always rooted my VPAD7 after receiving it...
29th September 2011, 03:16 PM   |  #12  
Flag Metro NY/NE Region
Thanks Meter: 188

761 posts
More
For making phone calls & Google Voice, I've rather use a Bluetooth headset - it's much easier (and safer if driving - and, if I can figure out a secure & solid way to mount it solid inside the car as oversized GPS for navigation - with the screen saver disabled .... looking for the Car Mode apk that's on our smartphone but isn't on the Vpad7)

With a better quality (noise-cancelling is best) stereo corded headset - the sound is quite good, no Bose but it's good enough when we travel - it's easy to connect to any 3.5mm with a patch cord.

The compass/calibration aren't a problem for mine (HWver 107 with ITE) and it certainly isn't resetting or losing settings every few minutes - at least no popup about need to configure/calibrate or simply "losing" orientation.

I fine tuned all the related GPS settings and also run the GPS Status & Tool apps from the Market, so fresh positioning data are updated every 2 hours as needed.

As for using the Vpad7 in portrait mode once it started up, I'm using the VTL Launcher (link posted elsewhere in this (sub)forum - just "search") along with Widgetsoid from Market - which provided a lot more options to quickly access, change, turn off/on features as needed (i.e. reboot device) without going thru all the hidden menus (as if anyone will likely remember them) and this combination is making it less likely to swing or rotate 90 degree back to landscape mode or worst, turn upside down. Give it a try & easily uninstalled if you decided later that you don't want to use it.

Cheers !
29th September 2011, 08:41 PM   |  #13  
Flag Aalborg
Thanks Meter: 13

208 posts
More
Wink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitride

For making phone calls & Google Voice, I've rather use a Bluetooth headset - it's much easier (and safer if driving - and, if I can figure out a secure & solid way to mount it solid inside the car as oversized GPS for navigation - with the screen saver disabled .... looking for the Car Mode apk that's on our smartphone but isn't on the Vpad7

Car mode: https://market.android.com/details?i...rdashboardfree

Screen always on for certain apps: https://market.android.com/details?i...iddev.ScreenOn
29th September 2011, 09:25 PM   |  #14  
Flag Metro NY/NE Region
Thanks Meter: 188

761 posts
More
Red face
Quote:
Originally Posted by LayZeeDK

Car mode: https://market.android.com/details?i...rdashboardfree

Screen always on for certain apps: https://market.android.com/details?i...iddev.ScreenOn

Thank you kindly for (sharing) the link - d/l the "ScreenOn" apps - (edit: tested as working) "on the road" in NAV - just what I need to make it a true 7" portable GPS (hell, it sure will knock my old HTC Eris with its (small'ish) 3.2" touch screen or even the HTC Inc2 global that I'm planning to upgrade to with 4" screen running Google Maps. That might just permanently retired the yet to be replaced Garmin 4.3" GPS (it "quit working" for good) & one less gadget to take along on out-of-town trips with carryons.

The other annoying functionality about our VPad7 is when watching YouTube, the screen orientation will turn whichever ways it feel like, no matter what settings that I try to lock it in .... oh, well - limitations of all android devices, until someone comes along with a brighter idea (fix/patch)

Cheers !
Last edited by Letitride; 30th September 2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: ScreenOn tested as working - nicely using Google Maps 5.2 - accurate, no FC or crashes, etc.
30th September 2011, 12:43 AM   |  #15  
Thanks Meter: 2

187 posts
stay tuned, im working on a mount atm, i have to make a phone call about it tomorrow, to see how much it will cost, it will be custom fabricated so should be secure. ill work out the screen connecting side when i have a suitable mount for it.

on the upside i used it for navigation and it was as good as my desire, i have yet to put it through my tracks to see how acurate it really is, but it kept to the road, only messing up twice when i accellerated hard on a roundabout, it took the wrong turn but corrected itself after a few 1/2 secs.
30th September 2011, 12:16 PM   |  #16  
Flag Aalborg
Thanks Meter: 13

208 posts
More
No problem, Letitride

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App
4th October 2011, 12:08 PM   |  #17  
Flag Riga
Thanks Meter: 32

146 posts
More
Everything is working...
9th October 2011, 12:09 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 4

95 posts
More
I have updated my VP7 by this. Unfortunately now the device is not able to make connection to internet thru SIM card. Phone call is working.
Last edited by kocir; 9th October 2011 at 06:42 PM.
11th October 2011, 01:27 PM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 6

71 posts
Talking ...
Hi friends.\

Please someone explain what excactly is ITE hardware touchscreen ? I search but everyone talks about it and nowere can find any info.

Is it good to have ITE or not?

Mine says

SWVer=3.420
Model: FM6-0001
HWVer: 103

I have ITE or non-ITE version ?
11th October 2011, 02:18 PM   |  #20  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 103

631 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectons2000

Hi friends.\

Please someone explain what excactly is ITE hardware touchscreen ? I search but everyone talks about it and nowere can find any info.

Is it good to have ITE or not?

Mine says

SWVer=3.420
Model: FM6-0001
HWVer: 103

I have ITE or non-ITE version ?

1.03 is non-ITE

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread