Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

No micro-sd slot, why bother (for most)?

OP rushless

29th September 2011, 06:52 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 315

3,265 posts
Unless planning on only using as an ereader and web device, the less than seven gigs of total usable storage between apps and data/media storage kind of makes the device pointless.

Why bother? Especially people that dwell in these forums.
29th September 2011, 08:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 43

455 posts
I dont know, I'm more of a "glass is half full" person. Considering the price point and Amazon's excellent return policy, I dont see the harm in getting it into your hands and deciding then.
29th September 2011, 09:12 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 11

128 posts
I for one do not use a huge amount of storage space. I don't keep music or movies on my phone. But the SD card is still useful for backing up my apps and data. I'm mostly concerned about how the lack of an SD card is going to impact your ability to hack stuff.

As long as I can hack the thing to run stock Android, I don't care about the lack of an SD card.
30th September 2011, 02:06 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

36 posts
More
I think it's best to think of the built-in storage as cache. Amazon is trying to everything on its cloud. Books, videos, music... all stored on their cloud. When you need it, it'll cache it locally.

Same goes for backup. No need to backup to a SD card because it'll automatically be backed up to their cloud.
30th September 2011, 02:23 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 70

712 posts
Err..

I think there is a certain missed point here that the author felt was going to be picked up. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

First, you can only keep AMAZON purchases in the cloud.

Second, while the processor is impressive.. they ripped out a lot of "nice" things which would have been cool to have.. I mean if it didn't have dual core 1ghz processor.. it would just be another "value tablet" or hell it would be frowned upon more than that due to the lack of bells and whistles.

So, the problem we have.. Is if you plan on doing anything besides ereading you are out of luck.. (and lets be real here.. if this was only being looked at as an ereader, it wouldn't have a forum here.)

Since you can't load whatever you want to the cloud, your stuck with 8 gigs which might be "ok" if it was *ONLY* an ereader.. However, honestly.. by the time you root it.. install the latest version of Cyanogen and possibly load a few songs on there.. most of your space is done.

Aside from that, the fact that it has no optional SD card slots may complicate the rooting/unrooting process. I would buy a Nook Color for 50$ more, because I can run CM7 from an SD card and not void my warranty since I could dual boot it. Especially if the kindle fire ends up unable to go back to stock.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snow_fox For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th September 2011, 04:16 AM   |  #6  
Flag inside
Thanks Meter: 104

814 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow_fox

Aside from that, the fact that it has no optional SD card slots may complicate the rooting/unrooting process. I would buy a Nook Color for 50$ more, because I can run CM7 from an SD card and not void my warranty since I could dual boot it. Especially if the kindle fire ends up unable to go back to stock.

Except with new nook colors on the way, the original isn't going to cost more than the fire anymore. I can imagine new condition original NCs going for $150 or less over the holidays.

The fire is a sweet tab at a nice price and I've been eagerly awaiting details all summer, but for some folks the slot is going to be important. I boot my TP2 android build from the SD card, and I like the low risk nature of it. Not sure if with a NC I would go nand or sd, but I like having the option.
30th September 2011, 04:31 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 70

712 posts
Honestly for 150$ i'd probably grab the Nook Color..

unless the lenovo A1 was priced the same and had equal dev support.

I'm definitely holding off on kindle to see what else comes out... I am wondering if others are going to try to beat kindle to the punch.. or if they are going to think it is worth it..

I mean it is hard to compete if amazon takes a loss on hardware in hopes of making it up in software.
30th September 2011, 04:53 AM   |  #8  
Flag willard
Thanks Meter: 21

479 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless

Unless planning on only using as an ereader and web device, the less than seven gigs of total usable storage between apps and data/media storage kind of makes the device pointless.

Why bother? Especially people that dwell in these forums.

Dwelling.......... Here.

sent from my Infuse at Tranquility Base.
Last edited by shadow65781; 30th September 2011 at 04:58 AM.
30th September 2011, 06:17 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 6

75 posts
Ive got a Viewsonic gTablet which has around 16GB of internal space
Ive run Cyanogen and it takes up maybe a half a gig of room, that would leave around 7GB of storage
most of the apps I use are installed on and stored on the internal parition which is around 2GB, so that leaves around 1.5GB of usable space of which my apps take up about 500MB
out of the 14GB I have on the second parition of the 16GB onboard SD card I have 9.3GB free, and its storing all my ROMs...
I use less than 5GB for storage, so 8GB seems like plenty to me for now

I wont be keeping terabytes of video and music on this tablet so it doesnt matter to me personally

even with my gtablet I use less than 8GB, I stream most everything I watch on it as well
wouldnt be any different for the Kindle Fire...

I would prefer some kind of external storage option, but thats ok, its not required
30th September 2011, 07:03 AM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

26 posts
More
A SD slot would be nice but not that big of a deal. I already have my on
pre-order. Most Rooting and Roms can be done with out a removable SD
card, the Nexus S 4g doesn't have a removable SD. I have rooted and gone
back and forth from stock to custom works just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to drumking For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread