Fix for GPS issues in Gingerbread

Search This thread

aaldiar

Sep 21, 2010
I found a fix on XDA forums right here. Instead of 'asia' I input north-american into the gps.conf file. For those of you that don't want tolook for the file, I have supplied the gps.conf file for you to download right here. Post responses with how well this works. Works 100% of the time for me nearly instant locks on all gingerbread ROM's I put on my device.

If you are downloading my file, simply use adb to push it to /system/etc/ and you are golden.

**Warning|Disclaimer|Blah Blah**

If you brick your phone I am not responsible ... yadda yadda, ya'll know the drill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WhoWhere

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
thank you! that did solve the problems i've been having with the latest cm builds.

skulnik

Apr 15, 2010
Kansas City
OnePlus 7 Pro
Wow! Thank you so much! I went from a 2+ minute lock to a <20 second lock.
I did find a method to make this adjustment simpler. I used root explorer, available in the market, then simply copied your 'gps.text' file to system/etc. I then deleted the gps.conf file and renamed gps.text to gps.conf. Finally, I rebooted and opened maps, enabled gps, and waited for a lock. Then, after I was locked I did one final reboot and behold, locked in less than 20 seconds.

So, maybe not simpler but it can all be done without adb, straight from the phone.

Nevertheless, thank you, thank you, annnnnd thank you!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

jacewt

Mar 7, 2009
Los Angeles
Did you guys use his file or make your own? Mine already said North America but was missing the extra servers.

skulnik, is your phone s-off? I can never make that kind of change with root explorer. It acts like it did something, but it doesn't. Same with ADB if the phone is on.

I read on another thread that apparently if you are s-off, you need to go into recovery, mount system and then use adb to push the files.

I am not sure this worked for me though, once I got the file in there, nothing much changed. I used the old fix which involved putting the cm6 gpslib.so file into the system/etc folder. Using both, I seemed to get a quick lock.

I made flashable fix for myself that includes both fixes and the wifi fix (just in case) and things seem better on both CM7 and the xm rom based on CM7.

aaldiar

Sep 21, 2010
The extra servers is what made the difference for me. Glad that this is helping. I stopped using cm7 for the longest time because GPS wouldn't lock for me. I loaded the xm7 and is was so awesome I just HAD to find something to make GPS work because I rely on it all the time. Downtown San Antonio is very easy for me to get lost in and MapQuest was never reliable.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
I used a different file after reading his method. However same concept of replacing the config file. I'm just rooted without s off. Another method to replace the file is to mount via clockwork and use android commander to push the file. :) FYI after this i now I get an accurate gps lock in under 10 seconds.

txdeathray

Jan 2, 2011
Houston
Just want to make sure i get the steps right, all i have to do is unzip the .zip file, put gps.conf in platform-tools folder for android sdk, run adb and type "adb push gps.conf /system/etc/" right? It's been a while since i did any sort of work with adb, so i don't want any major goof-up.

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
Just want to make sure i get the steps right, all i have to do is unzip the .zip file, put gps.conf in platform-tools folder for android sdk, run adb and type "adb push gps.conf /system/etc/" right? It's been a while since i did any sort of work with adb, so i don't want any major goof-up.

You could do that or a more foul proof method would be to use android commander. Just mount the system in clockwork plug your phone in "assuming you already have adb, jdk etc. Installed" and push it that way. Android commander is pretty much a gui for adb... also could push it in terminal emulator if you were feeling adventurus. :) hope this helps. Android commander is most likely going to be the safest method for you. That way you can easily do a backup of the file. Though I would do a nandroid backup just to be safe. :)

Reactions: txdeathray

txdeathray

Jan 2, 2011
Houston
You could do that or a more foul proof method would be to use android commander. Just mount the system in clockwork plug your phone in "assuming you already have adb, jdk etc. Installed" and push it that way. Android commander is pretty much a gui for adb... also could push it in terminal emulator if you were feeling adventurus. :) hope this helps. Android commander is most likely going to be the safest method for you. That way you can easily do a backup of the file. Though I would do a nandroid backup just to be safe. :)

Haha thanks, definitely gonna give Android commander a try. And definitely gonna remember that nandroid backup (lol, learned it the hard way today).

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
Sorry guys, no dice for me, same performance as before.... dunno why...

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using xda premium

hmm can't imagine why it would be different for you. Did you push the correct GPS file for your location & confirm that it took the change /view the file after you pushed the file/rebooted your phone?

Ekorshus

Sep 2, 2010
Yeah, took the midwest file & moved it to the system/etc folder & removed the old file., did it all w/ root explorer rebooted the phone & everything... got the same performance as I did before, 2 min or so for a lock. Then consecutive, immediate locks as long as I didn't leave the maps app alone for too long.. @ one point I wound up using gpsfix to actually get a damn lock, it was so bad....

I'll just have to settle for slow locks.

WhoWhere

Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, took the midwest file & moved it to the system/etc folder & removed the old file., did it all w/ root explorer rebooted the phone & everything... got the same performance as I did before, 2 min or so for a lock. Then consecutive, immediate locks as long as I didn't leave the maps app alone for too long.. @ one point I wound up using gpsfix to actually get a damn lock, it was so bad....

I'll just have to settle for slow locks.

Hmm. I wonder if it's a hardware or driver problem. One thing I did want to note; I had tried using the latest version of root explorer to replace the file, mounting the system as write, etc prior to using adb. The result showed the file as being replaced however after rebooting to confirm changes the file was back to default. It might be worth double checking the file to confirm that the replacement actually took. If not possibly mount the system in clockwork and push the file using adb.

Last edited:

Ekorshus

Sep 2, 2010
Hmmmmm, good call, I DID make sure to mount the system as r/w as opposed to r/o but I didn't chk to see if the file got overwritten by the system on restart (if I'm understanding you correctly?).

I'll try it again, this time using adb...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I found a fix on XDA forums right here. Instead of 'asia' I input north-american into the gps.conf file. For those of you that don't want tolook for the file, I have supplied the gps.conf file for you to download right here. Post responses with how well this works. Works 100% of the time for me nearly instant locks on all gingerbread ROM's I put on my device.

If you are downloading my file, simply use adb to push it to /system/etc/ and you are golden.

**Warning|Disclaimer|Blah Blah**

If you brick your phone I am not responsible ... yadda yadda, ya'll know the drill.
    You just used the gps.conf file right? Nothing else?

Yep thats all I did. But you may want to use a different file based off your location if you aren't in that area of the us