5,597,138 Members 45,021 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Read this before going for eMMC replacement.

Tip us?

amidabuddha
Old
(Last edited by amidabuddha; 26th October 2012 at 11:19 AM.) Reason: Added method for 6.98.1002
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2366
Default [GUIDE] Read this before going for eMMC replacement.

Code:
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
When you see this message in your recovery do not panic.

Setup adb/fastboot on your computer (there is a simple guide in my signature). Then connect your device to the PC, enter recovery, open cmd (command prompt) on the PC and type:
Code:
adb shell
dmesg | grep mmc0
If the output contains the following strings:
Code:
mmc0: failed to get card ready
mmc0: reinit card
mmc0: Starting deferred resume
mmc0: Deferred resume failed
Than you internal memory (eMMC) is corrupted i.e. your chip is "fried". This is a hardware issue (reference here) and the chip has to be replaced. Sorry, no other solutions available.

If not - your chip is not fried!

This message results from a destroyed /cache partition - some relevant info here
Some basic thing has to be done to solve this problem easily:
  • NEVER PULL THE BATTERY! Better have the patience to wait it to be completely drained
  • always keep a Backup of your current ROM and/or the Stock ROM, made from Recovery on your SDcard
  • enable USB Debugging in your Settings -> Applications -> Development and keep it that way
  • disable Fastboot in Settings -> Power to have total shutdown on power off
  • after unlocking (S-OFF) your device with Revolutionary flash an Engineering bootloader (e.g. 0.98.2000) to be able to overwrite it when needed
  • use 4EXT Recovery rather than ClockworkMod it has much better functionality
To restore one of the following has to be done:
  1. restore the Nandroid backup if you have done it

or

2. restore the cache partition - wipe /cache from the Recovery (preferred - thanks forcefreak). If the size of the partition says <null> (when Printing partition info in 4EXT Recovery) connect your device to a PC, go into adb shell (look the link in my signature for adb setup) and type
    Code:
    mke2fs /dev/block/mmcblk0p27
    do not pay attention to the busy partition message, then
    Code:
    reboot recovery
    Note that this option will format your cache as ext2 or ext3 type. If you are using ext4 just use the 4EXT Recovery to reformat them as ext4

or
  3. According to craigcharlie's post
    selecting the Factory reset option in the HBOOT is also a way to boot to Recovery and then flash a custom ROM or restore a backup

or

4. if steps 1/ 2/ 3 are not working flash the relevant RUU (the same or higher version than your current and correct region/brand - you can find the available for Desire S here) when your phone is in FASTBOOT USB mode in bootloader (you may need to reinstall the HTC drivers) [credits go to dave303 and the guide in his blog.]

4.1 If you have a 6.98.1000 hboot
    Change your hboot with this one
    Download PG88IMG.zip, extract it and use Android Flasher to flash the extracted hboot.img
    The hboot version now should be 0.98.2000

Search in this thread for the proper RUU and install it.

4.2 If you have a 6.98.1002 hboot
    Change your hboot with this one
    Download the hboot_0.98.0000.zip and extract it, boot your phone to Recovery, connect to PC, copy the hboot.img file to your SDcard, open command prompt and type:
    Code:
    adb devices (your device serial number should be displayed)
    adb shell (there should be a command prompt with the # symbol in front if not type "su" without the quotes)
    dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    if not working try to unmount/mount the SDcard:
    Code:
    adb devices (your device serial number should be displayed)
    adb shell (there should be a command prompt with the # symbol in front if not type "su" without the quotes)
    umount /sdcard (not a typo the command is umount, not uNmount)
    mount /sdcard
    dd if=/sdcard/hboot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
    Search in this thread for the proper RUU and install it.

NOTE: If you have a custom ROM and no info about your original software version the solution is as follows:
    Connect the device, enter the bootloader and type the following command in the cmd:
    Code:
    fastboot getvar version-main
    This is the number of your original software.

If this number is higher than the one of your RUU and you cannot flash it, change the number with the version of your RUU (be careful - use the correct RUU for your brand/region!) with misc_version that can be found here - post #1, link from step 1.
If you have problems with some of the above post in the Desire S General forum or in this thread to receive support. Some cases can be individual but there is always a chance to fix before going for a replacement
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to amidabuddha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zeekiz
Old
Thanks Meter 176
You should PM ben_pyett, he has full guides on this whole thing. Also so he could add it to the "index" thread ^.^
The Following User Says Thank You to zeekiz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

djpbx
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1561

DONATE TO ME
Wow.sick tutorial. this must get a place in the index in very very big, bold letters.

Sent from my HTC Desire S/S510e using XDA App
~ Cheers! - djpbx
HTC One: OmniROM Nightlies (KitKat)
HTC Incredible S: CyanogenMod 10.1
Asus Nexus 7: AOSP 4.3
History:

Some of the work I've done:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djpbx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

forcefreak
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Default Other way to solve this problem?

Hi

I had the same error after installing a new RADIO version on my Desire S.

-> Market closes unexpected
-> Can't open cache... in recovery

I fixed the problem with CWM Recovery!

1. Restart phone to ClockworkMod Recovery
2. Choose "wipe cache partition"
3. "reboot system now"

DONE
The Following User Says Thank You to forcefreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yeawhatever
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Just checked my chip and luckily I'm not affected. Sympathy to l u guys who are. (

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda premium

amidabuddha
Old
(Last edited by amidabuddha; 3rd October 2011 at 10:27 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefreak View Post
Hi

I had the same error after installing a new RADIO version on my Desire S.

-> Market closes unexpected
-> Can't open cache... in recovery

I fixed the problem with CWM Recovery!

1. Restart phone to ClockworkMod Recovery
2. Choose "wipe cache partition"
3. "reboot system now"

DONE
I have tried this as well but my partition size was null. Tried formatting as Ext3 and Ext4. Honestly haven't tried just to format...

Btw the command mk2fs (the 2nd method in my initial post) makes exactly the same as your solution but from the command prompt. Anyway yours is easier so thanks for the contribution! But keep in mind that in both ways the partirion will be restored as ext3 so you will have to use 4EXT Recovery later to convert if you want to use the advantages of ext4

fbcyborg
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Hello,

I've just one question: why this happens?
Every time I wipe the cache and the dalvik-cache through the Recovery, I get this error. Should be considered as normal hence?
HTC ONE
Rom..................: Stock 3.63.901.2
Radio................: 4A.21.3263.04_10.38m.1157.04L
Android............: 4.3
HTC Sense.......: 5.5

amidabuddha
Old
(Last edited by amidabuddha; 12th October 2011 at 03:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcyborg View Post
Hello,

I've just one question: why this happens?
Every time I wipe the cache and the dalvik-cache through the Recovery, I get this error. Should be considered as normal hence?
"Every time" is definately not NORMAL! Check your partiton type ext2/3/4. If not ext4 format it as such with 4EXT Recovery

And one piece of advice: change your bootloader version, in case you stuck. This cannot be overwritten so you will go straight to replacement (most probably paid by you)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

fbcyborg
Old
Thanks Meter 62
How can I see which filesystem type is it?
Anyway, I use ClockworkMod now, and I don't think it is ext4.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Checked: it is a ex2 partition.
I've just flashed the 4EXT Recovery.

So, you suggest to change the bootloader? Which version?
I didn't understand what could cause the stuck: the partition type change? What cannot be overwritten? Maybe it's not clear to me what is the risk.
HTC ONE
Rom..................: Stock 3.63.901.2
Radio................: 4A.21.3263.04_10.38m.1157.04L
Android............: 4.3
HTC Sense.......: 5.5

amidabuddha
Old
(Last edited by amidabuddha; 12th October 2011 at 07:31 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2366
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcyborg View Post
How can I see which filesystem type is it?
Anyway, I use ClockworkMod now, and I don't think it is ext4.

---------- Post added at 05:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:35 PM ----------

Checked: it is a ex2 partition.
I've just flashed the 4EXT Recovery.

So, you suggest to change the bootloader? Which version?
I didn't understand what could cause the stuck: the partition type change? What cannot be overwritten? Maybe it's not clear to me what is the risk.
The best option IMO is the hboot from my signature: 0.98.2000 (2.0.2002 reduces your cache space and maybe will be useful in future, but for now it isn't)

The reason: Revolutionary/Alpharev is permanent, which means that it cannot be overwritten (I have an untested method that may unlock it but I cannot verify and definitely will not brick my device to try it out ), unlike the other ENG Bootloaders which provide the same functionality but can be easily replaced (by RUU for example) if necessary. Like if you flash some incompatible software that bricks your phone and you are not able (or just do not have) to restore a Nandroid backup there is nothing you can do except to go to a repair center, where they will see that your bootloader is 6.98.1002 and most probably you will pay the repair (the eMMC chip costs about 1/3 of the phone price). On other hand if you can restore the system or at least the bootloader with the Stock one (e.g. from RUU) you can always say that your phone just collapsed and you do not know anything about it. I hope now it will be more clear to you.

P.S.: 4EXT Recovery is the best choice!

The Following User Says Thank You to amidabuddha For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]