Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,852 Members 42,347 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy Tab 8.9 Root

Tip us?

mramirezusa
Old
(Last edited by mramirezusa; 4th October 2011 at 12:59 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 351
Default Galaxy Tab 8.9 Root

Please find bellow an easy way to root the new Galaxy Tab 8.9:

1. Download and install the USB drivers from here:
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/do...GT-P7310MAAXAR

2. Transfer the attached file root.zip to the galaxy tab 8.9, this can be done in different way as follow:
* If you send an email to an actual email account on your galaxy tab with the attached file, just open the email on your galaxy tab 8.9 and saved the attached file under the SDCARD
* Using Samsung Kies tranfer the attached file to the Galaxy tab 8.9 under SDCARD
* Or the last way to do it using ADB as follow: adb push root.zip /sdcard/root.zip

3. Turn off the Galaxy Tab 8.9

4. Turn on holding Volume Down button (right side one) + power button for 15 sec, until two icons show up on the scree

5. Release buttons and press once Volume Down button (right side one) to select "Recovery Mode" is the little box icon

6. Now Select "Recovery Mode" pressing once Volume Up button (left side one)

7. Wait until "Recovery Mode" screen show up

8. Use Vol down or Vol up to select apply .zip from sdcard and press power button to select the option

9. Look for the file root.zip under the SDCARD and select it with power button

10. Apply root.zip

11. and then Reboot

12. Install SuperUSer from the market and DONE!
Attached Files
File Type: zip root_original.zip - [Click for QR Code] (154.4 KB, 65448 views)
The Following 66 Users Say Thank You to mramirezusa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

phonic
Old
Thanks Meter 411

DONATE TO ME
Awesome, thanks. I'll have to try this when I get home.

Is it really that easy? I thought the 10.1 instructions were much more complicated (ie: having to burn a new bootloader with odin, etc.

mramirezusa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonic View Post
Awesome, thanks. I'll have to try this when I get home.

Is it really that easy? I thought the 10.1 instructions were much more complicated (ie: having to burn a new bootloader with odin, etc.
Yeap easy as hell, now happy camper already running root explorer and titanium backup... Now doing some teawks, deblotware, so far doing great...
The Following User Says Thank You to mramirezusa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

phonic
Old
Thanks Meter 411

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mramirezusa View Post
Yeap easy as hell, now happy camper already running root explorer and titanium backup... Now doing some teawks, deblotware, so far doing great...
Have you figured out a way to get Netflix working? I've tried every apk I could find, but can't get it to stream videos. Always get the 12001 error. I've been trying to find a work around online, but nothing.

Thanks.

peterochford
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonic View Post
Have you figured out a way to get Netflix working? I've tried every apk I could find, but can't get it to stream videos. Always get the 12001 error. I've been trying to find a work around online, but nothing.

Thanks.
I've got Netflix working on mine with version 1.3.0 build 246, copied over from the APK I had installed from my Xoom. File name is com.netflix.mediaclient_246.apk, and looks to be a user-edited version from a few months ago. Found it somewhere on XDA, probably in the Xoom forums.

Still waiting for a real release, though. HD streaming is lacking.

VouSDru
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Does this root applicable to 8.9" 3G ?

Skrilla360
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I get this message when attempting to install the update:

E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 6)

phonic
Old
Thanks Meter 411

DONATE TO ME
I downloaded that file (com.netflix.mediaclient_246.apk), but it's the same file as two others I tried before:
Quote:
e944b8450ef401177f851705c672dbde com.netflix.mediaclient.1.3.apk
e944b8450ef401177f851705c672dbde com.netflix.mediaclient-1.apk
e944b8450ef401177f851705c672dbde com.netflix.mediaclient_246.apk
The other two (...-1 and ....1.3) didn't work. I'll try the ..._246 version just to see if that somehow makes a difference, but I doubt it.

How were you able to get Netflix running on yours? Do you have the standard US 8.9 Wifi tablet? Did you have to install/uninstall anything else or do any tweaks to get it loaded?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, since you're the first person to say they have gotten Netflix running.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to phonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mramirezusa
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla360 View Post
I get this message when attempting to install the update:

E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 6)
Ummm it seems you have the wrong file because my attached zip file is "root.zip" insteed of package.zip as you posted
The Following User Says Thank You to mramirezusa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

schillaj
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default recovery mode

i cant get my 8.9 to boot into recovery, ive pressed voume down and power for 20 plus seconds and it doesnt do anything at all, still blank. please help!

The Following User Says Thank You to schillaj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]