Galaxy tab 8.9 forum

Search This thread

jeromepin

Mar 12, 2011
Hi,

There is no Galaxy Tab 8.9 forum ? Why ?

PS: sorry for my bad english ;)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

jeromepin

Mar 12, 2011
It's the same but we don't know if it's possible to install 10.1 ROM (or something else) on the 8.9

jeromepin

Mar 12, 2011
For all android devices : the root is available before they are released (or just after) but not for our 8.9 ? It's not a bad tablet ! Come on !

antnyp85

Feb 20, 2010
Morris County, NJ
I've had the Tab 8.9 for about 4 days now, and I keep looking online every day to see if there's a forum for the Galaxy Tab 8.9 but nothing yet. I tried Androidforums as well, and there's minimal posts on it, guess because of how new it is? Idk :-(

phonic

May 30, 2008
Florida
1) You cannot install 10.1 Roms (at least I couldn't).
2) You can easily root the 8.9 using the 10.1 patch file method. Upload the one that's posted on here in another thread to the device, reboot in recovery mode, install the patch, reboot, and it's rooted.
3) Last night someone posted a way to get Netflix working on the 8.9, which wasn't working up until then. The instructions for this are also posted in this forum.

Yes I agree that there doesn't seem to be too much activity or forums/threads on specifically the 8.9 model, but it's brand new and will become more popular over time. I was a bit upset without finding a way to root or get Netflix working, but now that I have, I am in love with this little device. It does everything I want to do.

Also, on a side note, if you want OpenVPN support, it has the tun module integrated directly into the kernel (unlike the 10.1 apparently), so it's easy to get it working if you're rooted. And Samsung just released the kernel source so there should be custom roms and kernels coming soon.

jeromepin

Mar 12, 2011
Upload the one that's posted on here in another thread to the device, reboot in recovery mode, install the patch, reboot, and it's rooted.
3) Last night someone posted a way to get Netflix working on the 8.9, which wasn't working up until then. The instructions for this are also posted in this forum.

You say "upload the one thats posted on here" Where/what is here ?
And " the instructions for this are also posted in this forum"... what is "this forum" it's xda ?

CanEpia

Sep 12, 2008
hard to post when there is no forum for it yet. I have to go searching all the other tablet forums to find info now which is no fun.

Need it's own forum

weltwon

Jul 29, 2010
Henderson NV
Rooting, adding Ad-HOC Modding Galaxy Tab 8.9

Like those of you who have already posted on this thread, I spent hours looking for any person or group that was focusing on the Galaxy Tab 8.9 and found nothing but bits and pieces that forced me to experiment on my own.

I did find out how to safely and easily root the device, how to replace the wpa_supplicant to easily add Ad-HOC support for wirelessly tethering to a smartphone, and how to restore the stock ROM using ODIN. If you want further details, go to epinions.com and look for my review of the Galaxy Tab 8.9 16GB.

Haven't seen anyone working on any custom ROM for the 8.9 but I did try to install one for the Tab 10.1 and it nearly bricked my 8.9 Tab (put me into a boot loop).

Last edited:

s14tam

Nov 30, 2007
Just flood the existing galaxy tab forums until someone gets the picture. That was a joke. Please don't ban me.