Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Is it possible to flash a kernel from fastboot?

OP smarmytime

4th October 2011, 07:42 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Old Bridge
Thanks Meter: 2
 
95 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
I'm trying to install bcblend on my evo, but I'm dealing with the 1.50 hboot, so even though my phone is rooted (currently running Eternity 1.2.2), evidently I can't flash a kernel from recovery. Can I do it from fastboot? If so, what would the command be? I can't quite suss it out myself...my windows command line skills are weak.
4th October 2011, 04:18 PM   |  #2  
triscuit1983's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Laurel
Thanks Meter: 288
 
616 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2009
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarmytime

I'm trying to install bcblend on my evo, but I'm dealing with the 1.50 hboot, so even though my phone is rooted (currently running Eternity 1.2.2), evidently I can't flash a kernel from recovery. Can I do it from fastboot? If so, what would the command be? I can't quite suss it out myself...my windows command line skills are weak.

There are some instructions here on how to do that...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1239821
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to triscuit1983 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th October 2011, 04:09 AM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Old Bridge
Thanks Meter: 2
 
95 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by triscuit1983

There are some instructions here on how to do that...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1239821

Unfortunately, this method did not work for me.
j4n87
5th October 2011, 06:06 AM   |  #4  
Guest
Thanks Meter: 0
 
n/a posts
You need s-off to flash radios and also kernels - correct me if iam wrong.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda premium
5th October 2011, 05:26 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,291
 
1,944 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4n87

You need s-off to flash radios and also kernels - correct me if iam wrong.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda premium

need either s-off or htc unlock method to flash kernels.

if using fastboot to boot the recovery and then flashing kernels from there doesnt work, the only other options i've seen for htc unlocked s-on devices would be to fastboot flash the kernel .img .. downside is you'll have to manually load the modules.

from all the posts, seems fastboot boot recovery and loading a kernel from that fastboot boot'd recovery should work.

keep in mind, you'll always have to fastboot boot recovery.img while using htc's unlock method if you want to flash kernels or ROMs which contain kernels. this is due to a limitation in htc's unlock method not allowing the boot (kernel) partition to be flashed from standard recovery mode.
5th October 2011, 06:57 PM   |  #6  
3bony3dge's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Chattanooga
Thanks Meter: 0
 
12 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeykrim

need either s-off or htc unlock method to flash kernels.

if using fastboot to boot the recovery and then flashing kernels from there doesnt work, the only other options i've seen for htc unlocked s-on devices would be to fastboot flash the kernel .img .. downside is you'll have to manually load the modules.

from all the posts, seems fastboot boot recovery and loading a kernel from that fastboot boot'd recovery should work.

keep in mind, you'll always have to fastboot boot recovery.img while using htc's unlock method if you want to flash kernels or ROMs which contain kernels. this is due to a limitation in htc's unlock method not allowing the boot (kernel) partition to be flashed from standard recovery mode.

Exactly...fastboot into recovery and you can flash whatever you like....works like a charm.
5th October 2011, 09:24 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Old Bridge
Thanks Meter: 2
 
95 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2010
More
The method posted in post #2 was the method I had originally used - I did the HTC unlock, then followed the directions. I was able to flash a ROM, which is great - the ROM I'm using is snappier than stock, and the battery life is significantly better, but I was hoping to be able to flash custom kernels as well. If I can't, it's not the biggest deal in the world (pretty much the definition of 1st world problems), but it's frustrating. Step by step, I had done exactly what that said to do.

Ah well...not to be with this phone, unless someone figures out another way to get around the 1.50 hboot. Thanks, guys.
6th October 2011, 11:47 PM   |  #8  
SPreston2001's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 179
 
822 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2009
More
+1 for fastboot. Launch your recovery via fastboot and flash whatever kernel you want.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes