Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,782 Members 38,239 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL][UV][CWM] Entropy's Daily Driver-GB, 03/07/2012 (Small Fixes))

Tip us?

avidmovies
Old
Thanks Meter 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romee74 View Post
+1
I am running ICScrewed 2.0.1 with 2/07 kernel with no issues and awesome battery life.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
Same for me!
Thanks for an amazing kernel!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium
Check out the SGH-i777 AOKP FAQ (ICS | JB)

LG G2 (D800)
Stock LG ROM | Custom Debloated

dandrumheller
Old
Thanks Meter 688
Also on ICScrewD 2.0.1, no init.d scripts, no OC/UV. Finishing out day 4 on 02/07 kernel. Battery life is moderately better than siyah kernels, zero issues with SoD or other strange behavior. touch key lights seem to be more responsive when set to "on in the dark" now as well...not sure if anything changed in that regard from earlier kernels or I just happen to be working in slightly different lighting conditions though.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App
Current: AT&T LG Optimus G (E970) BeanStalk
ASUS Transformer TF101: EOS / KAT

Vizio VTab 1008 Stock Honeycomb (doomed to a rootless existence)

Still around: AT&T HTC Aria - Gene Poole's Liberated Aria

Gone: SGS2 i777 and random stuff dating back to an analog Mitsubishi phone circa 1996.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarlow View Post

If you give a man a blanket you keep him warm for the night. If you light him on fire he is warm for the rest of his life.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)
RESISTANCE

NJGSII
Old
Thanks Meter 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
OK. Also, before unplugging the device, first try quickly tapping Power to see if the battery icon shows up.

Battery icon showed up both times when I did that after each time it happened.
Current Devices:

AT&T HTC One M8

Former Devices:

Google LG Nexus 5
AT&T HTC One M7
AT&T Moto X
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S II
Google Asus Nexus 7
AT&T HTC One X
Apple iPhone 1st gen
Apple iPhone 3G
Apple iPhone 4

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 24127

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGSII View Post
Hmm... So it's crashing into LPM. Grr... This is gonna be a bitch to debug!!!!! (There's a good useful /proc/last_kmsg when the battery icon is up - but no way to pull it without blowing it away! Pull the charger and it's gone, power up by rebooting and it's probably gone...)

I may need to revert most of the patches from 2/7 and 1/30 out except the critical fixes (BTHID and the video/cpuidle interop fix), then go "patch a day" after that until I'm back at the 2/7 patch level. This way the exact problem patch can be identified. (There may be two of these - one for the SoDs some have had with 2/7, one with the crash-to-charging others have had starting with 1/30.)

Too bad "git bisect" is almost unusable when you need to wait a few days for feedback... It's easier to go patch-by-patch one per day (or maybe two per day... People can revert a half-day if a problem starts happening.)

I'm likely to start this tomorrow.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Red5 Old
Thanks Meter
We all aplrociTe your efforts and time. Thanks for diving into this trying to figure it out, even though you seem to be going in blindly.

-Red5

DeXel55
Old
(Last edited by DeXel55; 15th February 2012 at 07:44 AM.)
Thanks Meter 17
I had SoD or another another shut down during charging ( big battery charging animation). Now, I have no idea which one it is, but it only happens (I am still not 100% sure) when widget locker installed. So I guess it is SoD because I remember you mentioned it can cause that. There is my last_kmsg. Hope it helps. Thanks for everything you have done!

As for Widget locker settings, it has root helper enabled, and I can post everything else if anybody wishes to try to reproduce these shut downs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGSII View Post
Same thing with my phone.
Attached Files
File Type: zip last_kmsg.zip - [Click for QR Code] (13.6 KB, 0 views)

Dungeon47
Old
Thanks Meter 438

DONATE TO ME
I get the same SoD without widget locker.

Sent while riding a buffalo.
Nexus 5 | OMNI | FrancoKernel | Xposed | How to Battery
Support your devs. Search, read OP before asking. Android Wishlist

DeXel55
Old
(Last edited by DeXel55; 15th February 2012 at 08:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Yea, just happened again without it. Another last_kmsg included. It seems totally random. I had few days without turn off, and then installed widget locker and set cpu (I use it only to change governor) and then my phone turned off.

BTW, I use old version of set cpu from amazon app store... will try new one that in this forum.
Attached Files
File Type: zip last_kmsg.zip - [Click for QR Code] (12.5 KB, 4 views)

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 24127

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeXel55 View Post
I had SoD or another another shut down during charging ( big battery charging animation). Now, I have no idea which one it is, but it only happens (I am still not 100% sure) when widget locker installed. So I guess it is SoD because I remember you mentioned it can cause that. There is my last_kmsg. Hope it helps. Thanks for everything you have done!

As for Widget locker settings, it has root helper enabled, and I can post everything else if anybody wishes to try to reproduce these shut downs.

Same thing with my phone.
That was not an SoD. The possibilities are:
Crash-to-LPM (this is new terminology): Phone crashes and reboots to LPM (the powered-off battery charging mode) while plugged in - In this case, tapping Power before unplugging will cause the big battery icon to show. Pressing power for 2 seconds or so causes the phone to boot. Pull a last_kmsg, even though unfortunately it may not be useful as it may just have a log of the LPM charging mode.

Shutdown: Phone is totally shut down, pressing Power for 2 seconds boots it. Given the new evidence for identifying crash-to-LPM, I don't think this has happened to anyone.

Panic reboot: Phone spontaneously reboots during operation. A last_kmsg is VERY important here.

SoD: Phone does not wake from sleep using a short tap of power OR holding Power for 2 seconds. Rebooting the phone requires holding power for 10-15 seconds to force a reset. last_kmsg is important here, it will almost surely contain useful information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeXel55 View Post
Yea, just happened again without it. Another last_kmsg included. It seems totally random. I had few days without turn off, and then installed widget locker and set cpu (I use it only to change governor) and then my phone turned off.

BTW, I use old version of set cpu from amazon app store... will try new one that in this forum.
I have not ever seen SetCPU cause SoDs on kernels with the suspend SoD patch (one of the first things I put into this kernel.)

However I have seen Widget Locker be responsible for SoDs for multiple people on multiple kernels (There's a thread on it somewhere in General or Q&A), so right now my first advice is that if you are having SoD issues and use Widget Locker, ditch it. If you're having SoD issues without Widget Locker I'm very interested to get last_kmsg reports.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rav4kar
Old
(Last edited by rav4kar; 15th February 2012 at 04:07 PM.) Reason: edit#1
Thanks Meter 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
%
so right now my first advice is that if you are having SoD issues and use Widget Locker, ditch it.
%
I use MagicLocker from market (free version), never got any SoDs, guys can give it a try.

edit#1: though I got a reboot (Panic reboot: Phone spontaneously reboots during operation. - Entropy ) with 02/07DD which was discussed very few pages back.
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
**Wasting Food is a crime against humanity, Buy less Eat more. **

Tags
cwm, kernel