5,593,458 Members 36,801 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL][UV][CWM] Entropy's Daily Driver-GB, 03/07/2012 (Small Fixes))

Tip us?

Entropy512
Old
(Last edited by Entropy512; 24th February 2012 at 05:26 PM.)
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 23382

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rav4kar View Post
Entropy,

It seems even XWKL1 + UCKH7 (combo) is not an exception as far as wifi drain is concerned

with this combo, battery drains upto 5% on some wifi's, but it for sure drains only 1 or less than 1% on carrier's 3G/HSPA,etc

Edit: %/Hour
Hmm interesting... And it's XWKL1 or UCKH7, you can't have both... Unless you're using some frankenfirmware.

If you're talking about the baseband firmware, that has zero effect on wifi. It's only for the cell radio.

When this happens, it would be interesting to see the Wireshark caps. Note that some apps can still explicitly use more data when on wifi than when not. I know as one example, Skype REALLY misbehaves in situations where multiple devices on the same network behind a NAT firewall are in play. No firmware can protect you against such situations.

As an easier option than Shark - when this is happening, turn the screen on and off a few times and take a dmesg. Look for the following happening repeatedly:
Code:
bcm4330: early_suspend processing disabled, suspend_disable_flag is set by system.
Any time you see this, it means that all of the packet filters that SHOULD have been enabled when the screen turned off weren't - this happens all the time on XXKI3, but only right after connecting to a network in XWKL1 and XWLA4 in my experience.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

rav4kar
Old
(Last edited by rav4kar; 24th February 2012 at 06:59 PM.)
Thanks Meter 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Hmm interesting... And it's XWKL1 or UCKH7, you can't have both... Unless you're using some frankenfirmware.
I should have mentioned KL1 Base Firmware + KH7 Modem in first place, this is what I meant it to be in my earlier post.

I will give it a try as you mentioned and see what it really does on wifi, I had one wireshark report earlier when I had KK6 Base (Unnamed v221) + KH7 Modem, it should be somewhere in this thread.

KK6 Base is good on one (1% drain home)wifi and not good on other (5% drain work)wifi.
KL1 Base is good on one (1% drain home)wifi and not good on other (5% drain work)wifi.

so it turns out to be related to somewhere in the network config. of the routers,etc not with the Base Firmware, Or every Firmeware has same or unique issue related to wifi?

But for me KL1 Base Firmware + KH7 Modem has increased throughput on cell network, this combination is best for me sofar. In places where I used to get 3-4Mbps with KK6 Base and Modem get 6+ Mbps with KL1 Base + KH7 Modem.But I did not try KL1 Base + KK6 Modem yet.

So, I am forced to turn off wifi radio in some wifi's that I know will drain battery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120224-125259.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	918034  
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
**Wasting Food is a crime against humanity, Buy less Eat more. **

jhermit
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Entropy,

My experience is that on my S2, the ROM and the Kernel really have not had a significant effect on the problem. I am currently running UCKH7 based ROM that seems to do better, but only slightly. I did find out that I have 90 days warranty for refurbished and not 30 like I said, so I am going to try all sorts of crazy things in my search for an answer.

I have stopped going from ROM to ROM for now in order to isolate some variables. My project for this weekend is to convert my router (a Linksys WRT400N) from the Linksys firmware to the DD-WRT open source firmware. I read that this router runs a LOT cleaner with DD-WRT firmware. I will report if this move has any impact on the "idle" battery life.

mkosmo
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
I don't know if this will be of any use to you, but I just encountered a strange SoD like occurrence on 2/07. I pulled last_kmsg and it was all kinds of garbled. A straight cat of it and tail of it also produces junk on console as well.
Attached Files
File Type: gz last_kmsg_20120224_1437.txt.gz - [Click for QR Code] (140.9 KB, 0 views)

ryude
Old
Thanks Meter 643

DONATE TO ME
So I know you use BFQ as the default scheduler, but I'm curious why. I just want to know if there's any disadvantage to using SIO over BFQ.

khartaras
Old
Thanks Meter 110
Entropy, can I use this kernel on the international SGS2? I see developers on the i9100 side of town using i777 sources (hardcore's Speedmod), but can this particular kernel run on i9100 hardware?
google nexus 5 | back to Android after a long while

Waddle
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by khartaras View Post
Entropy, can I use this kernel on the international SGS2? I see developers on the i9100 side of town using i777 sources (hardcore's Speedmod), but can this particular kernel run on i9100 hardware?
No. No kernal will work on a device that it isn't meant for. Youll screw up your phone if you do this.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
If I helped, press thanks...
UnNamed Orange Theme http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1457742
Battery Mods for UnNamed, CM7, ICScrewD, and ShoStock http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1446170

msgfromside3
Old
Thanks Meter 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryude View Post
So I know you use BFQ as the default scheduler, but I'm curious why. I just want to know if there's any disadvantage to using SIO over BFQ.
Have you read this already?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1496777

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App

RTFM Before Asking and Whining
Disable Location Reporting to minimize NlpWakeLock and NlpLocationLocator wakelocks.
Nexus 5 [TMO]: Stock + Root + Franco Kernel
Samsung Galaxy S2 [ATT]: CM10.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab [TMO]: CM9

ryude
Old
Thanks Meter 643

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgfromside3 View Post
Have you read this already?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1496777

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App
Yes, I've read a looooot of threads about schedulers BUT, each kernel dev uses his own settings and tweaks for governors and schedulers, therefore it's best to ask the dev what is best. CFQ is default, but does that mean the other schedulers exhibit stability problems with this kernel?

shoman94
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 11745

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryude View Post
Yes, I've read a looooot of threads about schedulers BUT, each kernel dev uses his own settings and tweaks for governors and schedulers, therefore it's best to ask the dev what is best. CFQ is default, but does that mean the other schedulers exhibit stability problems with this kernel?
I believe he defaults to bfq yes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
<a href=http://forum.xda-developers.com/signaturepics/sigpic1670609_1.gif target=_blank rel=nofollow >http://forum.xda-developers.com/sign...c1670609_1.gif</a>
IRC: freenode|#shostock

Asus Transformer Prime[32gb]
Stock-JellyBean

Asus Transformer[16gb]
ICS RevolutionHD

Tags
cwm, kernel