Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,535 Members 39,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL][UV][CWM] Entropy's Daily Driver-GB, 03/07/2012 (Small Fixes))

Tip us?

Entropy512
Old
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 24119

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinji257 View Post
Just to let you know I was running the 2/18 builds (the one actually dated 2/18) and had the weird shutdown issue. Upon turning on the button leds flash real quick then a normal boot. An attempt to get a /proc/last_kmsg failed as it didn't exist. Ideas?
Was this when connected to a charger?

Which 2/18 build? A or B? Were you on 15C before?

crash-to-LPM is pissing me off - it's damn near impossible to get a log.

I'm going to look into maybe putting something in the initramfs to dump last_kmsg in LPM.
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

shoman94
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12168

DONATE TO ME
I want to say that 2/15c is awesome on my rom so far. 2/18b was a step backwards. I know the changes aren't great and I don't understand why the big difference but it is. Finally something better then 12/8/11.
Take it for what it is.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
IRC: freenode|#shostock

Asus Transformer Prime[32gb]
CROMBi-kk-4.4.2

Asus Transformer[16gb]
KatKiss-4.4.2
The Following User Says Thank You to shoman94 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Red5 Old
Thanks Meter
Another thumbs up for 2/15-C, awesome!

Entropy512
Old
(Last edited by Entropy512; 28th February 2012 at 09:08 PM.)
Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 24119

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
I want to say that 2/15c is awesome on my rom so far. 2/18b was a step backwards. I know the changes aren't great and I don't understand why the big difference but it is. Finally something better then 12/8/11.
Take it for what it is.....

PLEASE compare 18A to 18B!!!!!! The ability to do so is the whole point of releasing kernels with one patch per release. Also provide more details as to the circumstances where it performs more poorly power-wise.

I'm much more inclined to investigate/rework/revert the patch in 18A than 18B. The 18B patch is from Linux mainline, which means - it's gonna be in ICS whether you like it or not.

Red: Can you confirm again that 26 was the one problematic for you? I've already decided to revert that patch for now and investigate other solutions for Nizda1's issue (if he even has it again, ashmem may have been a red herring) because unlike shoman94, you narrowed it down exactly to a specific patch and you were able to see a night-and-day significant difference. (I don't think I've seen any feedback on 18A from shoman.)
*so much sig updating needed*

My Github profile - Some Android stuff, some AVR stuff

An excellent post on "noobs vs. developers"

A few opinions on kernel development "good practices"

Note: I have chosen not to use XDA's "friends" feature - I will reject all incoming "friend" requests.

Code:
<MikeyMike01> Smali is a spawn of hell
<shoman94> ^^^ +!
Code:
<Entropy512> gotta be careful not to step on each other's work.  :)
<Bumble-Bee> thats true
<jerdog> compeete for donations

rav4kar
Old
Thanks Meter 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post
Was Android OS percentage very high along with lots of wlan_rx wakelocks in the kernel wakelock list? If so - this is one of two widely documented bugs with the UCKK6 base.
Entropy,
We can add even XWKL1 base to bug list; in idle state, XWKL1 base drains 10%/ hour on my work wifi with AOS topping >67% with lots of wlan_rx wake locks.
AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4
**Wasting Food is a crime against humanity, Buy less Eat more. **

jazzboyrules
Old
(Last edited by jazzboyrules; 28th February 2012 at 09:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzboyrules View Post
Hi Entropy,

These are the logs I got after I kept my phone running on battery for about an hour at home.
logcat, dmesg log (after setting debug_mask = 35 ): http://db.tt/zZVL7NNn
BBS log: http://db.tt/8HJk20yv
About 28k wakelocks in an hour!
I looked for wake_lock_destroyed in dmesg but didn't find it heavily populated with those. What else should I look for in it?

I did not get that many wakelocks at work, but still heavier than usual battery drain.
logcat, dmesg log (with debug_mask = 35): http://db.tt/LwMkZVEb
BBS log: http://db.tt/w9iS8XRX
1698 wakelocks in 38 mins.

At home, I have D-Link DIR-655 router and Microcell.

I will be testing 02/26 overnight. Tomorrow, I will switch back to 02/15-C and post similar logs.
Bump!
Probably this post was missed. It shows that 02/26 was a problem for me.

BBS log of 02/26 overnight with Wi-Fi on.
Staying on 02/26 overnight was a disaster too. Weird.. if I turn off Wi-Fi, I get deleted wake locks and if I keep Wi-Fi on during night, I get wlan_rx wake locks (because of the bug in 2.3.6). Then what's the point of turning off Wi-Fi? Above logs are for 2/26 on SHOstock 1.9.2.

Now I am testing a different ROM on 2/15-C
Nexus 4 16GB | PA 4.0 beta

shinji257
Old
(Last edited by shinji257; 28th February 2012 at 09:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Was this when connected to a charger?

Which 2/18 build? A or B? Were you on 15C before?

crash-to-LPM is pissing me off - it's damn near impossible to get a log.

I'm going to look into maybe putting something in the initramfs to dump last_kmsg in LPM.
I believe it was 2/18b (confirm definitely 2/18b) since the kernel was actually dated 2/18. It was charging via PC USB rather than the standalone adapter. I had skipped 2/15c coming from build 1/30/12.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium
Current: HTC One (Stock, Rooted, Unlocked, S-OFF HBOOT 1.56, Tampered flag removed)
Backup:
Samsung Captivate (CyanogenMod 11 Nightly)
Tablet: Nexus 7 (Rooted, TWRP Recovery (I think)) Android 4.4.2

Defunct: Samsung Galaxy S2 AT&T (CyanogenMod 11 Unofficial)

Thank god for having spare cell phones and custom roms that make them survive for a bit longer.
Red5 Old
Thanks Meter
Quote:

Red: Can you confirm again that 26 was the one problematic for you? I've already decided to revert that patch for now and investigate other solutions for Nizda1's issue (if he even has it again, ashmem may have been a red herring) because unlike shoman94, you narrowed it down exactly to a specific patch and you were able to see a night-and-day significant difference. (I don't think I've seen any feedback on 18A from shoman.)
Ya let me go back through both 2/18's and then 26. Give me some time though as I want my phone to use then for a bit to be double sure.

shoman94
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 12168

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
PLEASE compare 18A to 18B!!!!!! The ability to do so is the whole point of releasing kernels with one patch per release. Also provide more details as to the circumstances where it performs more poorly power-wise.

I'm much more inclined to investigate/rework/revert the patch in 18A than 18B. The 18B patch is from Linux mainline, which means - it's gonna be in ICS whether you like it or not.

You haven't seen any feedback on 18a yet because I haven't used it. I can only run one kernel at a time and I need a full day so I can test it. I was planning on flashing 18a tonight.
So again I will be flashing 18a tonight and report at the end of the day tomorrow.
Between 15c and 18b I haven't had any problems but 15c just performed a touch better and was quite a bit better on battery life.

IRC: freenode|#shostock

Asus Transformer Prime[32gb]
CROMBi-kk-4.4.2

Asus Transformer[16gb]
KatKiss-4.4.2

Alucardis666
Old
Thanks Meter 229
Running the latest release and things seem super stable and battery is much improved. Thanks again.

If anything in this post helped or amused you, please hit the thanks button.

Nexus 5 32GB Black on AT&T + Spigen NeoHybrid Slate
Macbook Pro 13" Retina 512GB Haswell [Fall 2013]
Retina iPad Mini 32GB Space Grey with Apple Black Leather Smart Case

Tags
cwm, kernel