Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,106 Members 40,950 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Converting .jar file

Tip us?

kiltedthrower
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
Default [Q] Converting .jar file

I found some pretty cool looking games for android that aren't on the market. They're in a .jar format. I couldn't find much through google on getting them to an .apk file so I can fun them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rooted Galaxy Note

quarlow
Old
Thanks Meter 309
Are you sure they are meant for android? When I had a Motorola SLVR or my LG flip-phone the game files were jar files. They ran in a Java environment.

I know android uses jar files, but I thought they were more like setting or system files.

But I have never written an android app. Maybe you need to compile them with the sdk.

Sent from my LG Thrill Faux G
i-mate JAQ > HTC 8525 > iPhone 3G > iPhone 3GS (it was a dark time in my life, I was confused) > Palm Pre > HTC Aria > Samsung Captivate > LG Thrill > Samsung Focus > Samsung Galaxy S II (I777) > HTC One X > Samsung Galaxy Note II (I317) > Samsung Galaxy S 4 (I337) + HP TouchPad

CallMeAria
Old
Thanks Meter 291

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltedthrower View Post
I found some pretty cool looking games for android that aren't on the market. They're in a .jar format. I couldn't find much through google on getting them to an .apk file so I can fun them.

Any help would be appreciated.
Might just have something to do with uploading/downloading. Just rename the app to end in .apk instead of .jar and try it. Apk is actually just a form of a .jar anyways. Worst case is it wont install.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy SII --CM10.1-- Sold
Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket --CM10.1--Sold (P.O.S)
Samsung Galaxy S4 --Goldeneye mga --CURRENT

kiltedthrower
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 111
The games are over at 3androidapps.

Here are teh instructions and it's the last part that's tripping me up (I've bolded it)...

Download and install the Google Android SDK program and the Android USB drivers.
You need to modify your Android's settings to allow the installation of applications from other sources. Under "Settings," select "Application Settings" and then enable "Unknown Sources." Also under "Settings," select "SD Card" and "Phone Storage," and finally enable "Disable Use for USB Storage"
This last step is easy. Open Command Prompt and type the following: adb install <apk file>

So do I just put this on the root of my SD card? And does <apk file> change it from a .jar file?

Here's the direct link to the game(s)
http://www.3androidapps.com/app/Dark...1.30-2110.html
Rooted Galaxy Note