Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,194 Members 42,107 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Nook Touch kernel hacking

Tip us?

GabrialDestruir
Old
Thanks Meter 504
It'd be nice if we could get one of these kernels running with underclock below 300 and overclock above 600. Just an idea though.
Nexus 4 - Paranoid Android
Nexus 7 - Stock Rooted
Nook Glow - Stock

case-sensitive
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoow View Post
Positive side effect of all of this is that now I've quite rich kernel with :
- CFQ iosched
- reiserfs/ext4/ntfs enabled
- DroidWall support (iptables match target)
- Group process scheduling
- UTF8 enabled (can't switch to it entirely cause B&N stuff uses non utf all around the place)
- half of kernel debugging off
- PM debug off
- fastfpe works quite fine
- ondemand cpu governor

If anybody was interested in config or binaries then give me a shout please. I really need somebody to give me a hand with SGX and WLAN sources in order to push it forward.
Is this modified kernel stable for normal, day-to-day use? How difficult would it be to install this modified kernel on a rooted NST? Are you able to sync with google contact with no additional hack?

I really miss droidwall. Google contact would be a huge bonus :) I can follow instruction but I'm not a developer/hacker :(

Thanks!

Renate NST
Old
(Last edited by Renate NST; 26th February 2012 at 06:00 PM.)
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 775
Getting all the debug messages on the graphic systems turned off would make life easier when dealing with logcats. Filtering always makes you lose something important.

Also: I got my old Microsoft USB GPS block to spit out stuff using USB host mode.
The baud rate on the driver defaults to 9600. I got my NMEA data, I just need to get a LocationProvider.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1457971

bisbal
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Guys what a cliff hanger this thread is, everyday I wake up hoping you guys got all the bits put together, and that we all can install custom roms, and icecream, and... :)~~

sokoow
Old
Thanks Meter 6
All,

I'll try to post all needed files together with some instructions as a separate thread. Hopefully will manage to do it later this week. I've been using it for quite a while now - seems to be stable. Hopefully we'll move it a bit further, but it's already hard as there's half of sources missing.

Greetings, Karol
The Following User Says Thank You to sokoow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrWax
Old
(Last edited by mrWax; 6th March 2012 at 04:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 19
Default no-refresh implementing?

Any chance of implementing "always on" and "contrast settings" for no-refresh from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1502723

darkguy2008
Old
(Last edited by darkguy2008; 25th March 2012 at 02:33 AM.)
Thanks Meter 223

DONATE TO ME
Hey guys, I read the whole thread and this all seems very interesting.

I know a lot of coding, but alas, compiling a kernel always makes me rip my hair off because it never works .

Anyways, I'd be really glad if someone here could provide me a small guide on how to get on compiling the B&N source code (nook2_1-1.tgz) and installing it on my device (or SD card, as I saw on a post around the first pages)... I see lots of theories and verbose info, which is useful, but nothing that I can really understand.

Like... a toolchain? what's that? how do I get it? I've heard about codesorcery, okay cool, which one to download? latest one or the one it says in the OMAP wiki? what to do after I download & extract it? where to put the B&N source code?... stuff like that, you know...

Not everybody knows how to compile this, yet they know how to code. I could give you guys a hand in this as I want a custom ROM for my NST, but it's impossible if I can't build a ROM/kernel for saving my own life, and there is no step-by-step guide, as most stuff assumes the user already knows things :/.

Thanks in advance!
- DARKGuy

---
EDIT: Nevermind, I found this -> http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch/Kernel . Let's see how it goes...

---
EDIT 2: Okay, compiled very well, woo-hoo!

I need to find out how to put it in though. I'm making a SD card now to give my compiled images a try, however, I have a question:

The only way to modify init.rc is to unpack the already-built uImage? isn't there a way to edit it before compiling? how are those files generated anyways, if they don't exist in the filesystem?

---
EDIT 3:

I also followed the instructions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=44 to build a bootable SD card. It seems to boot, but it doesn't mount /system correctly.

ADB seems to work, but it doesn't output anything:

Code:
darkguy@cave:~/dev/nst/src/fullImg$ adb devices
List of devices attached 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX    device

darkguy@cave:~/dev/nst/src/fullImg$ adb logcat
- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -
Any ideas?
Current devices:
ZTE Grand X V970M ["Mimosa X"]
B&N Nook Simple Touch

Previous devices:
HTC Magic 32A (stolen) - FroyoDragon ROM developer
Motorola Defy+ MB525 (sold)

darkguy2008
Old
Thanks Meter 223

DONATE TO ME
BumpBumpityBump.

I hate bumping, but I'm not the only one in this thread.

Also, I checked the mmcblk0 & 1 with fdisk -l when inserted into the nook and both numbers and sizes are the same.
Current devices:
B&N Nook Simple Touch

Previous devices:

darkguy2008
Old
Thanks Meter 223

DONATE TO ME
Bumpin'TheBumpityBumpBump thread.

Man, this thread is active like hell. It sure motivates me to keep working on this -.-"
Current devices:
B&N Nook Simple Touch

Previous devices:
The Following User Says Thank You to darkguy2008 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mali100
Old
Thanks Meter 129

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkguy2008 View Post
EDIT 2: Okay, compiled very well, woo-hoo!

I need to find out how to put it in though. I'm making a SD card now to give my compiled images a try, however, I have a question:

The only way to modify init.rc is to unpack the already-built uImage? isn't there a way to edit it before compiling? how are those files generated anyways, if they don't exist in the filesystem?
init.rc is in the uRamdisk not the uImage and uRamdisk doesn't get generated when you compile the kernel, but when your make build a complete android system. So the easiest way is to unpack the uRamdisk, make your changes and repack it.
Quote:
---
EDIT 3:

I also followed the instructions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...7&postcount=44 to build a bootable SD card. It seems to boot, but it doesn't mount /system correctly.

ADB seems to work, but it doesn't output anything:

Code:
darkguy@cave:~/dev/nst/src/fullImg$ adb devices
List of devices attached 
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX    device

darkguy@cave:~/dev/nst/src/fullImg$ adb logcat
- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -
Any ideas?
I never tried it this way. The easiest solution is to create a noogie sd-card and replace the uImage on the /boot-partition. If I remember correctly it should also be possible to put your kernel and a uRamdisk from the nook (not the one included in noogie) on the sd-card, this way the uRamdisk and the uImage from the sdcard are used, the rest of the system gets booted from the internal memory.

The Following User Says Thank You to mali100 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]