Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Let me know the truths.

OP TechnoDahi

8th October 2011, 11:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hi,

I'm thinking to buy a new tablet pc for my school. I'll convert my books into pdf files and will continue lessons with tablet pc.

I need:

- Performance(performance means for me, what is smooth on home screen animations and switching between applications)
- Pen, which is has a thin pointer & body and useful for every app any second
- Screen size

And I searched the market for that options, result is : Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 or HTC Flyer.

Now, I need to know truths about Samsung Galaxy 10.1. Let me know them please..

Firstly when I was searching on the market, I tested the SG 10.1 and saw the:

- Animations are not smooth, I think 1Ghz processor is not enough
- Boot time is so bad, about 25-30 seconds(HTC Flyer is ready in 3 seconds)

What about your lookouts? Battery time on usage and more important question: battery life? I mean is battery time is always same on same usage or its decreasing? (if you use)pen performance, is that a good device to school?

Thanks a lot for your answers.
9th October 2011, 03:20 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

32 posts
yeah the Tab is not performing as expected, too many slow down and bugs, i am quite dissatisfied with mine. It has the best screen out of all the tablets, but that was it, get an Ipad 2 man, your needs is simple enough for a simple device. My two cents.
9th October 2011, 03:46 AM   |  #3  
Flag Bridge Creek, Oklahoma
Thanks Meter: 60

370 posts
More
every android honeycomb tab will perform the same. all have the same processor etc. stock launcher is laggy.Download and install ADW EX, super slick, super smooth, no lag.

As for stylus the Adonit pro stylus is what you will need, costs $30. Gtab 10.1 will be perfect. just switched to it from the eee pad transformer and love it

Battery life is awesome. I am a heavy user and i get about 8 hours. As for overall processor performance ICe Cream Sandwich will be optimized for multiple core processors. When ICS comes out in a few weeks, Tegra 2 powered devices will rip everything else to shreds. that being said performance is great right now.

IPAD 2 IS NOT THE ANSWER! Sheesh! If half the users of Android tabs would just do a little research they would understand that they kick the iPads ass when it comes to functionality.

Also stay away from the HTC Flyer. Number one it runs gingerbread and not the tablet optimized Honeycomb software. It is about to be discontinued, and recently took a nose dive in price to $299, the stylus that you need for it (the official HTC one) costs $80. craziness!! It also only has a single core processor(galaxy tab has dual core) and a 7" screen compared to the 10.1 inch on the galaxy tab
Last edited by brett_day; 9th October 2011 at 04:02 AM.
9th October 2011, 04:05 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 135

461 posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5j2F4VcBmeo

cannot resist .

PS: it's a good tab if you willing to tinker a bit and do lot's of reading/learning.
9th October 2011, 05:19 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 93

562 posts
Quote:

every android honeycomb tab will perform the same. all have the same processor etc. stock launcher is laggy.Download and install ADW EX, super slick, super smooth, no lag.

As for stylus the Adonit pro stylus is what you will need, costs $30. Gtab 10.1 will be perfect. just switched to it from the eee pad transformer and love it

Battery life is awesome. I am a heavy user and i get about 8 hours. As for overall processor performance ICe Cream Sandwich will be optimized for multiple core processors. When ICS comes out in a few weeks, Tegra 2 powered devices will rip everything else to shreds. that being said performance is great right now.

IPAD 2 IS NOT THE ANSWER! Sheesh! If half the users of Android tabs would just do a little research they would understand that they kick the iPads ass when it comes to functionality.

Also stay away from the HTC Flyer. Number one it runs gingerbread and not the tablet optimized Honeycomb software. It is about to be discontinued, and recently took a nose dive in price to $299, the stylus that you need for it (the official HTC one) costs $80. craziness!! It also only has a single core processor(galaxy tab has dual core) and a 7" screen compared to the 10.1 inch on the galaxy tab

How does it kill the ipad2? I just got the tab. I am a graduate student, so money is not loose for me. I need performance and functionality that will last... and I mean last. Not be outdated and useless in a few months like many android devices suffer.

I am debating if the ipad2 might be a better investment. What do you think?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
9th October 2011, 03:37 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4,237

1,491 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGoldAce

How does it kill the ipad2? I just got the tab. I am a graduate student, so money is not loose for me. I need performance and functionality that will last... and I mean last. Not be outdated and useless in a few months like many android devices suffer.

I am debating if the ipad2 might be a better investment. What do you think?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Come on dude. Think before you post. Will the ipad 2 be "useless" when ipad 3 comes out? Every gadget that is made is updated to a newer model every year. But, they all still perform. And work. Only techies and wealthy people update their device every year.

As for OP- go to store and try out different tablets and see if they do what you want them to do. You will never know untill you play around with them. Although, if you searched just a couple of threds here, there seems to be a number of tab owners who do not like the stylus input on their device. I use my tab in my World History classroom, but mostly to supplement a lesson. I absolutely love my galaxy tab, but there are far more useful applications for education on the ipad.

Sent from xda premium app
Last edited by Stardate Tab 10.1; 9th October 2011 at 03:53 PM.
9th October 2011, 03:54 PM   |  #7  
Flag Del City
Thanks Meter: 25

220 posts
More
on the Flyer
Well on the topic of stylus input neither produce the results expected. The galaxy tab doesnt accept a fine enough input to be useful with handwriting, however typing is a breeze from the large screen area and then with a bluetooth keyboard it is almost as good as a full blown laptop, if not as good. The Flyer is a great tablet in its own regard but lack of official Honeycomb drove me away, and the stylus while fairly accurate cannot replace pen and paper and with my larger hands did not jive and palm rejection was lacking. So if stylus input was a hope go demo them and see for yourself!

Oh also I typed all of this on my Gtab
Last edited by glitzbd; 9th October 2011 at 04:54 PM.
9th October 2011, 06:33 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 2

12 posts
More
I use mine for exactly that. My books are in my Tab. I still take notes on paper though, I prefer paper for notes. I've been very happy with mine. I don't turn mine off, leave it in standby
9th October 2011, 06:38 PM   |  #9  
Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Flag Blackpool UK
Thanks Meter: 1,545

9,528 posts
Donate to Me
More
Please use the Q&A Forum for questions Thanks
Moving to Q&A

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
market, pen, performance, search, speed