5,597,937 Members 38,781 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] Speed up Market 3.xx using WiFi

Tip us?
 
temasek
Old
#1  
temasek's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 61330
Posts: 19,427
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Singapore
Default [HOW-TO] Speed up Market 3.xx using WiFi

I'm presently using Market 3.1.5 and using wifi it is really really slow. The issue lies with the DNS resolution time. The new market uses url like v11.lscache3.c.android.clients.google.com. The delay to resolve this url over wifi takes usually over 10 seconds. ( +/-). Apparently the new market over mobile network isn't affected by this.

Now how to speed up new market? Since it is a DNS resolution issue, I think Google should do something about it but in the mean time something a user CAN do to speed up the new market.

I use Set DNS to change my DNS servers to use OpenDNS (there are other choices like GoogleDNS, etc). Once set, the new market opens almost instantly.

Set DNS
https://market.android.com/details?i...e.setDNS&hl=en

Bye bye sluggish market.

Enjoy
Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 - CM11.0 SelfKANG ( KANG Thread / CHANGELOGS )
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - hltexx (N9005) - CM11.0 SelfKANG ( KANG Thread )
Nexus 7 3G Tilapia - CM11.0 SelfKANG

Vadonka's temasek.hopto.org: temasek
Dev-Host: temasek
AndroidFileHost: temasek

Twitter: temasek71

The Following 110 Users Say Thank You to temasek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Mungulz
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 82
Posts: 463
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sydney
Can confirm it works, went from 5-6 seconds before image load to about 1 seconds, thanks for this tip !
The Following User Says Thank You to Mungulz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
luka2858
Old
#3  
luka2858's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 203
Join Date: Jul 2011
I realy works!

Sent from my LG-P990 using XDA App
 
temasek
Old
(Last edited by temasek; 9th October 2011 at 09:27 AM.)
#4  
temasek's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 61330
Posts: 19,427
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Singapore
Of cuz it works. I won't dare to post if ain't working good.

Kinda sick of the sluggish new market for some time now so tried several ways to speed it up.

This is the best for now, at least for me.
Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 - CM11.0 SelfKANG ( KANG Thread / CHANGELOGS )
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - hltexx (N9005) - CM11.0 SelfKANG ( KANG Thread )
Nexus 7 3G Tilapia - CM11.0 SelfKANG

Vadonka's temasek.hopto.org: temasek
Dev-Host: temasek
AndroidFileHost: temasek

Twitter: temasek71

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to temasek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
stevvie
Old
#5  
stevvie's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 35
Posts: 363
Join Date: Jan 2009
My market already opens instantly as I have set open DNS in my router
That explains the longish wait when I'm around my mates.
 
temasek
Old
#6  
temasek's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 61330
Posts: 19,427
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevvie View Post
My market already opens instantly as I have set open DNS in my router
That explains the longish wait when I'm around my mates.
So now u set it on your phone and u don't have to worry about sluggish new market anywhere over wifi.
Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 - CM11.0 SelfKANG ( KANG Thread / CHANGELOGS )
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - hltexx (N9005) - CM11.0 SelfKANG ( KANG Thread )
Nexus 7 3G Tilapia - CM11.0 SelfKANG

Vadonka's temasek.hopto.org: temasek
Dev-Host: temasek
AndroidFileHost: temasek

Twitter: temasek71

 
salisbury_steak
Old
#7  
salisbury_steak's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 598
Posts: 2,110
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manila
I had no idea that Market over 3G was faster. Thanks for the tip Temasek!
Thank you for thanking!

LG G2 D802 ESA
ROM: Stock (4.4.2) rooted
LG Optimus 2X P990
ROM: CyanogenMod 7 Temasek Unofficial (2.3.7)
Recovery: CWM Recovery (6.0.2.5)

Acer Iconia Tab A510
ROM: Stock (4.2.2) rooted
Recovery: CWM Recovery (6.0.1.9)


Don't have Dropbox yet? Get an additional 500MB cloud storage free (on top of 2GB) by clicking this referral link!
 
Treatcon
Old
#8  
Treatcon's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 155
Posts: 767
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mons, Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by temasek View Post
I'm presently using Market 3.1.5 and using wifi it is really really slow. The issue lies with the DNS resolution time. The new market uses url like v11.lscache3.c.android.clients.google.com. The delay to resolve this url over wifi takes usually over 10 seconds. ( +/-). Apparently the new market over mobile network isn't affected by this.

Now how to speed up new market? Since it is a DNS resolution issue, I think Google should do something about it but in the mean time something a user CAN do to speed up the new market.

I use Set DNS to change my DNS servers to use OpenDNS (there are other choices like GoogleDNS, etc). Once set, the new market opens almost instantly.

Set DNS
https://market.android.com/details?i...e.setDNS&hl=en

Bye bye sluggish market.

Enjoy
AWESOME, thanks!!

Xperia Z1 6906 (Honami)
[ROM] 14.3.A.0.681 Stock
[Android] 4.4.2 by [NUT] with Root
[Bootloader] Locked

LG Nexus 4 E960 (Mako)
[GPL] [KK 4.4.2 KVT49L] PURITY ROM
Semaphore

Galaxy Nexus I9250 (Maguro)
Rooted Android 4.3 (JWR66Y)
I9250XXLH1
PRIMELC03

Nexus One (Passion)
[ROM] Jelly Bean 4.2.2 - v6.0
[Recovery] RA-nexus-v2.2.1-CM
[Radio] 32.50.00.32U_5.12.00.08
[HBOOT] 7.35.5017(BlackRose 2012.04.21)
Partitions 260-10-166
 
temasek
Old
#9  
temasek's Avatar
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 61330
Posts: 19,427
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by salisbury_steak View Post
I had no idea that Market over 3G was faster. Thanks for the tip Temasek!
That's a 'bug' due to DNS resolution delay (I cannot confirm but that's my bet). Wifi usually should be faster.
Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 - CM11.0 SelfKANG ( KANG Thread / CHANGELOGS )
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - hltexx (N9005) - CM11.0 SelfKANG ( KANG Thread )
Nexus 7 3G Tilapia - CM11.0 SelfKANG

Vadonka's temasek.hopto.org: temasek
Dev-Host: temasek
AndroidFileHost: temasek

Twitter: temasek71

 
75markus
Old
#10  
75markus's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1549
Posts: 1,666
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: ★★ 127.0.0.1 Device : Nexus, what else ★ born to be root ★
fine tip, thx !

Tags
fix, market, slow, wifi
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes