Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,180 Members 46,803 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ALL Galaxy Tab 8.9 Questions Go Here

Tip us?

ftgg99
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 2044
Root your device. Buy titanium backup or bloat freezer. Then use it to freeze or uninstall as much as possible. I'm sure there's plenty of folks that will provide a list of stuff that's safe to remove...

Jade Eyed Wolf
Old
Thanks Meter 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by dornier View Post
Just picked up the 8.9 and love the size, but can't stand the lag. I really want to keep this thing, but the home screen lag is very annoying. I'm not running live wallpaper and only running two Widgets. I removed all of the Widgets and it helps a little, but not enough. Is this a touchwiz or honeycomb 3.1 issue. Does anyone think Samsung will address this issue soon?

Thanks,

GP
Use ADW EX launcher instead of touchwiz. Also, don't be so quick to get rid of your device just yet. You gotta bear in mind, this is still a very new device on the market, so there hasn't been a whole lot of development for it yet. Hell, we still don't even have our own forum! Believe me, once the ball gets rolling for us, all the little niggles we have now will be addressed.

sanjmur
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Had downloaded ROM from sammobile.com, but I am not quite sure how to use Odin... Which files (PIT, BOOTLOADER, PDA, CSC) should be selected to flash wifi model?

Jade Eyed Wolf
Old
Thanks Meter 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjmur View Post
Had downloaded ROM from sammobile.com, but I am not quite sure how to use Odin... Which files (PIT, BOOTLOADER, PDA, CSC) should be selected to flash wifi model?
Make sure you're using the P7310 firmware for the wifi model and not the P7300, otherwise you'll brick your device. The .tar files go in the PDA section. .pit files in the pit section etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jade Eyed Wolf For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sanjmur
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks! I have one last question, should I flash all 4 files?

luminouche
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Eyed Wolf View Post
Make sure you're using the P7310 firmware for the wifi model and not the P7300, otherwise you'll brick your device. The .tar files go in the PDA section. .pit files in the pit section etc.
Are u sure ?
The P7300XWKI1 downloaded on Sammobile is a .tar archive, so directly flashable in Odin 1.85 (PDA section) ?
Correct me if i'm wrong, but no need to disassemble .tar archive, it's directly flashable isn't it ?
I have too many devices... but it's not a reason to buy Galaxy S5 !

Jade Eyed Wolf
Old
(Last edited by Jade Eyed Wolf; 17th October 2011 at 07:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by luminouche View Post
Are u sure ?
The P7300XWKI1 downloaded on Sammobile is a .tar archive, so directly flashable in Odin 1.85 (PDA section) ?
Correct me if i'm wrong, but no need to disassemble .tar archive, it's directly flashable isn't it ?
My understanding is that the KI1 firmware is a non-wipe flash, as long as you're only flashing the .tar file in the PDA section and nothing else. I haven't done this yet myself as there is no need for me as far as I can tell (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!) But to answer your question, no, you don't need to decompile or unzip the .tar file; it is directly flashable from Odin.

The point I was trying to make in my previous post was that the KI1 firmware is for the 3G 8.9 tab, NOT the wifi only 8.9. So if you have the wifi only tab, I would NOT recommend flashing the KI1 firmware.

johnd603
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
....The point I was trying to make in my previous post was that the KI1 firmware is for the 3G 8.9 tab, NOT the wifi only 8.9. So if you have the wifi only tab, I would NOT recommend flashing the KI1 firmware.
Having flashed a number of ROMs in the past for various tablets - I think Jade Eyed Wolf is right on target with that advice. Once the wifi ROM is up, I'd like to play with some aspects of this Tab, but I really do want to have an "escape hatch" when/if things go wrong....

:)

John

dornier
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Use ADW EX launcher instead of touchwiz. Also, don't be so quick to get rid of your device just yet. You gotta bear in mind, this is still a very new device on the market, so there hasn't been a whole lot of development for it yet. Hell, we still don't even have our own forum! Believe me, once the ball gets rolling for us, all the little niggles we have now will be addressed.
If I install ADW EX, will it give me the option to disable touchwiz? Could I disable touchwiz without rooting or using ADX EX?

Thanks,

GP

aabritt
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Awesome review of our Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 done by the awesome folks over at AndroidCentral.com.

http://www.androidcentral.com/galaxy-tab-89-review

Sent from my GT-P7310 using xda premium
Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant (9-30-10) HTC myTocuh 4G (5-23-11) Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (10-12-11)