5,599,616 Members 43,573 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Fix for GPS issues in Gingerbread

Tip us?

aaldiar
Old
(Last edited by D.O.C; 9th April 2012 at 09:14 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113
Default Fix for GPS issues in Gingerbread

I found a fix on XDA forums right here. Instead of 'asia' I input north-american into the gps.conf file. For those of you that don't want tolook for the file, I have supplied the gps.conf file for you to download right here. Post responses with how well this works. Works 100% of the time for me nearly instant locks on all gingerbread ROM's I put on my device.

If you are downloading my file, simply use adb to push it to /system/etc/ and you are golden.

**Warning|Disclaimer|Blah Blah**

If you brick your phone I am not responsible ... yadda yadda, ya'll know the drill.
Samsung Galaxy S4
Mist Black/16GB
SlimBean 4.3

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0
White Model
Unofficial CM11 (Lastest)

Samsung Galaxy S III <now my mothers phone>
Pebble Blue/16 GB
Stock Based Custom Rom

Red MyTouch Slide 3G <got run over by angry Ex-GF>
Rooted, S-Off, MTD Partitions
CM7 RC2 W/ Custom Theme
The Following User Says Thank You to aaldiar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

WhoWhere
Old
Thanks Meter 84
thank you! that did solve the problems i've been having with the latest cm builds.

skulnik
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Wow! Thank you so much! I went from a 2+ minute lock to a <20 second lock.
I did find a method to make this adjustment simpler. I used root explorer, available in the market, then simply copied your 'gps.text' file to system/etc. I then deleted the gps.conf file and renamed gps.text to gps.conf. Finally, I rebooted and opened maps, enabled gps, and waited for a lock. Then, after I was locked I did one final reboot and behold, locked in less than 20 seconds.

So, maybe not simpler but it can all be done without adb, straight from the phone.

Nevertheless, thank you, thank you, annnnnd thank you!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App

jacewt
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Did you guys use his file or make your own? Mine already said North America but was missing the extra servers.

skulnik, is your phone s-off? I can never make that kind of change with root explorer. It acts like it did something, but it doesn't. Same with ADB if the phone is on.

I read on another thread that apparently if you are s-off, you need to go into recovery, mount system and then use adb to push the files.

I am not sure this worked for me though, once I got the file in there, nothing much changed. I used the old fix which involved putting the cm6 gpslib.so file into the system/etc folder. Using both, I seemed to get a quick lock.

I made flashable fix for myself that includes both fixes and the wifi fix (just in case) and things seem better on both CM7 and the xm rom based on CM7.

aaldiar
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 113
The extra servers is what made the difference for me. Glad that this is helping. I stopped using cm7 for the longest time because GPS wouldn't lock for me. I loaded the xm7 and is was so awesome I just HAD to find something to make GPS work because I rely on it all the time. Downtown San Antonio is very easy for me to get lost in and MapQuest was never reliable.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
Samsung Galaxy S4
Mist Black/16GB
SlimBean 4.3

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0
White Model
Unofficial CM11 (Lastest)

Samsung Galaxy S III <now my mothers phone>
Pebble Blue/16 GB
Stock Based Custom Rom

Red MyTouch Slide 3G <got run over by angry Ex-GF>
Rooted, S-Off, MTD Partitions
CM7 RC2 W/ Custom Theme

WhoWhere
Old
Thanks Meter 84
I used a different file after reading his method. However same concept of replacing the config file. I'm just rooted without s off. Another method to replace the file is to mount via clockwork and use android commander to push the file. :) FYI after this i now I get an accurate gps lock in under 10 seconds.

ovar
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWhere View Post
I used a different file after reading his method... after this i now I get an accurate gps lock in under 10 seconds.
What file did you use or what did your file contain? Locks are still taking around a 1 min for me.

WhoWhere
Old
Thanks Meter 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovar View Post
What file did you use or what did your file contain? Locks are still taking around a 1 min for me.
I used the gps.conf file for the us midwest file on this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=953630

ovar
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
I used the gps.conf file for the us midwest file on this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=953630
Thanks a ton. Instant locks!

jacewt
Old
Thanks Meter 59
Quote:
You just used the gps.conf file right? Nothing else?