Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

Gmail 5.0: Material Design and Multiple Account Support

Google started to materialize many of its applications right after announcing the … more

Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

Fix for GPS issues in Gingerbread

OP aaldiar

30th September 2011, 11:59 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 128

277 posts
More
I found a fix on XDA forums right here. Instead of 'asia' I input north-american into the gps.conf file. For those of you that don't want tolook for the file, I have supplied the gps.conf file for you to download right here. Post responses with how well this works. Works 100% of the time for me nearly instant locks on all gingerbread ROM's I put on my device.

If you are downloading my file, simply use adb to push it to /system/etc/ and you are golden.

**Warning|Disclaimer|Blah Blah**

If you brick your phone I am not responsible ... yadda yadda, ya'll know the drill.
Last edited by D.O.C; 9th April 2012 at 09:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to aaldiar For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd October 2011, 11:25 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 89

229 posts
thank you! that did solve the problems i've been having with the latest cm builds.
3rd October 2011, 07:34 AM   |  #3  
Flag Kansas City
Thanks Meter: 2

41 posts
More
Wow! Thank you so much! I went from a 2+ minute lock to a <20 second lock.
I did find a method to make this adjustment simpler. I used root explorer, available in the market, then simply copied your 'gps.text' file to system/etc. I then deleted the gps.conf file and renamed gps.text to gps.conf. Finally, I rebooted and opened maps, enabled gps, and waited for a lock. Then, after I was locked I did one final reboot and behold, locked in less than 20 seconds.

So, maybe not simpler but it can all be done without adb, straight from the phone.

Nevertheless, thank you, thank you, annnnnd thank you!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
3rd October 2011, 02:11 PM   |  #4  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 59

333 posts
More
Did you guys use his file or make your own? Mine already said North America but was missing the extra servers.

skulnik, is your phone s-off? I can never make that kind of change with root explorer. It acts like it did something, but it doesn't. Same with ADB if the phone is on.

I read on another thread that apparently if you are s-off, you need to go into recovery, mount system and then use adb to push the files.

I am not sure this worked for me though, once I got the file in there, nothing much changed. I used the old fix which involved putting the cm6 gpslib.so file into the system/etc folder. Using both, I seemed to get a quick lock.

I made flashable fix for myself that includes both fixes and the wifi fix (just in case) and things seem better on both CM7 and the xm rom based on CM7.
3rd October 2011, 04:40 PM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 128

277 posts
More
The extra servers is what made the difference for me. Glad that this is helping. I stopped using cm7 for the longest time because GPS wouldn't lock for me. I loaded the xm7 and is was so awesome I just HAD to find something to make GPS work because I rely on it all the time. Downtown San Antonio is very easy for me to get lost in and MapQuest was never reliable.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using XDA App
3rd October 2011, 11:22 PM   |  #6  

229 posts
I used a different file after reading his method. However same concept of replacing the config file. I'm just rooted without s off. Another method to replace the file is to mount via clockwork and use android commander to push the file. :) FYI after this i now I get an accurate gps lock in under 10 seconds.
4th October 2011, 04:16 PM   |  #7  
Flag GR, MI
Thanks Meter: 22

263 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoWhere

I used a different file after reading his method... after this i now I get an accurate gps lock in under 10 seconds.

What file did you use or what did your file contain? Locks are still taking around a 1 min for me.
5th October 2011, 12:09 AM   |  #8  

229 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovar

What file did you use or what did your file contain? Locks are still taking around a 1 min for me.

I used the gps.conf file for the us midwest file on this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=953630
5th October 2011, 05:10 PM   |  #9  
Flag GR, MI
Thanks Meter: 22

263 posts
More
Quote:

I used the gps.conf file for the us midwest file on this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=953630

Thanks a ton. Instant locks!
5th October 2011, 08:30 PM   |  #10  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 59

333 posts
More
Quote:

You just used the gps.conf file right? Nothing else?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread