Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,452 Members 42,626 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Advice needed : I want to study web design/ ui design

Tip us?

Chad_Petree
Old
(Last edited by Chad_Petree; 11th October 2011 at 09:24 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 163
Default Advice needed : I want to study web design/ ui design

What can i study in order for me to work as a web designer/ ui designer? keep in mind that i don't wanna study engineering , i dont like all of those math courses, algebra, physics ... do they teach it in universities or do i have to sign up in an institute?

I dont think there's a career such as "ui design" but there must a "web design" right? there must a "branch" in graphic design, i dont think im right for grphic design since im terrible at drawing what do you guys think ?
I_am_Error Old
Thanks Meter
It would be IT where I'm going to college. That would include html, mySQL, php, and some other happy fun stuff Possibly Javascript.

-How cruel is the golden rule, when the lives we live are all golden plated-

Archer
Old
Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer - (Un)Recognized Pole Dancer
Thanks Meter 3947
UI design is generally an overlap of developers and graphic designers. A graphic designer is needed to make it look good, but a developer is needed to make it practical. Between them both, you get a good UI. Well, that's the theory anyway.

If you want to do UI design then you need to decide whether you want to do it from the design point of view, or the development point of view. If you want to actually build websites, then go the development route. If you don't, graphic design is probably the best bet.

There's also games development and design, which does have a particular branch that involves GUI design, but that's usually part of a quite heavy games programming course.

I've personally never heard of a UI design course. I'm not saying that there isn't one, but after 15 years in the industry I've never heard of anyone doing it as a job, either, other than in games development.
"I live by my own rules, nobody else's, not even my own."
My xda links

New User Guide | XDA Forum Rules | 10 Posts - Why and How? | Admins & Mods | My xda Bookmarks

Chad_Petree
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncmolyneux View Post
UI design is generally an overlap of developers and graphic designers. A graphic designer is needed to make it look good, but a developer is needed to make it practical. Between them both, you get a good UI. Well, that's the theory anyway.

If you want to do UI design then you need to decide whether you want to do it from the design point of view, or the development point of view. If you want to actually build websites, then go the development route. If you don't, graphic design is probably the best bet.

There's also games development and design, which does have a particular branch that involves GUI design, but that's usually part of a quite heavy games programming course.

I've personally never heard of a UI design course. I'm not saying that there isn't one, but after 15 years in the industry I've never heard of anyone doing it as a job, either, other than in games development.
Thank you, your reply was really helpful , i want to do it from the design point of view, something i've learned here in xda is that a programmer does not make a good designer and viceversa, sometimes people make great programs but they're hideous, with lack of good taste and too many things/colors going on for example

What about " web design" is there a actually a course for that?

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5648
Yup, i studied that. Okay, not web design, but that was included. I studied multimedia design. That included web design, 3D, photography, and film.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium

Scabes24
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 786

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_Petree View Post
Thank you, your reply was really helpful , i want to do it from the design point of view, something i've learned here in xda is that a programmer does not make a good designer and viceversa, sometimes people make great programs but they're hideous, with lack of good taste and too many things/colors going on for example

What about " web design" is there a actually a course for that?
I attended a graphic design program (contuing education) at a college nearby. If you're looking to learn the basics (illustrator, PS, InDesign.. etc.) Then I was would start there. But if you're already familiar with image editing and want to learn how to apply it to mobile UI design you can start by looking here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=916814. But like John mentioned, there are two types of designing regarding UI.. basic modifying of images in the system is quit simple and only requires image editing software and 7zip (might want to learn how to edit mode.9/9patch and m10 images correctly as well). But if you're looking to do some of the more advanced designing you will need to do a bit of reading/searching. Thankfully, you can find all the info here at XDA.

Sent from my HTC Flyer.
Search XDA using Google

Chad_Petree
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazookaAce View Post
Yup, i studied that. Okay, not web design, but that was included. I studied multimedia design. That included web design, 3D, photography, and film.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD using xda premium
multimedia design ? sounds nice, for how long? 4 years?

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5648
I only studied for 1 year, but i did plan on 4 years with 3 of those in Australia, but i got bored and stopped after one. And it was pricey. 20K per year.

Chad_Petree
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scabes24 View Post
I attended a graphic design program (contuing education) at a college nearby. If you're looking to learn the basics (illustrator, PS, InDesign.. etc.) Then I was would start there. But if you're already familiar with image editing and want to learn how to apply it to mobile UI design you can start by looking here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=916814. But like John mentioned, there are two types of designing regarding UI.. basic modifying of images in the system is quit simple and only requires image editing software and 7zip (might want to learn how to edit mode.9/9patch and m10 images correctly as well). But if you're looking to do some of the more advanced designing you will need to do a bit of reading/searching. Thankfully, you can find all the info here at XDA.

Sent from my HTC Flyer.
Did you have a degree before studing graphic design? I need to know basics , since i know nothing, i just have my highschool degree, i want to do this as my career, not just a hobby

LordManhattan
Old
Thanks Meter 5648
I know you're not asking me, but i did not have a degree in "graphics" before i started. It was a private school, so if you show them some "dineros", you're in. But hey, you have to learn it from some place ney? It doesn't hurt knowing some basic stuff in PS or Illustrator though.