Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,293 Members 38,556 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] Flashing OLD/NEW Baseband Using KDZ + Rooting + Installing Custom Recovery

Tip us?

terratrix
Old
Thanks Meter 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremaldin View Post
KDZ can brick your phone permanently. Dont use KDZ unless there is no other option, and using KDZ just to flash baseband is just dumb since there are better and safer methods. KDZ wipes out everything, so there is a high chance to brick, and it can't be fixed other than by going to the service center. This thread by doktornoktor is safer.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1149530

Thanks anyway for sharing.
I think KDZ is quite a safe method, rather than the LGMDP incorrectly backing up your NV2 and losing IMEI etc
Thinking of posting your own cooked rom? Read here first!

deniso177
Old
(Last edited by Zecanilis; 31st October 2011 at 04:17 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
KDZ can brick your phone permanently. Dont use KDZ unless there is no other option, and using KDZ just to flash baseband is just dumb since there are better and safer methods. KDZ wipes out everything, so there is a high chance to brick, and it can't be fixed other than by going to the service center. This thread by doktornoktor is safer.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1149530

Thanks anyway for sharing.
As you already quoted it, i said that this method is different from Doks.

As for wiping all data completely, so its all brand new and neat, then try to fiddle around with internals and possibly have a bug result from it.

KDZ is what is used to UNBRICK your phone in the first place, so go do some research before posting unnecessary things.

Lastly how about you show some respect and keep your negative and rude comments to yourself, if you dont like this method dont do it, dont abuse people in the process.
Android Phones:

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Samsung Galaxy S2
LG-P500
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deniso177 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deniso177
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by terratrix View Post
I think KDZ is quite a safe method, rather than the LGMDP incorrectly backing up your NV2 and losing IMEI etc
And yep exactly, i personally prefer completely reinstalling something to make it work properly, then doing things dodgy.
Android Phones:

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Samsung Galaxy S2
LG-P500

ichigo200
Old
Thanks Meter 3
tried using gingerbreak to root my device but stuck in rooting and exploit ph0ne does not reboot..

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium

deniso177
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo200 View Post
tried using gingerbreak to root my device but stuck in rooting and exploit ph0ne does not reboot..

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda premium
it means your phone is past the firmware update that gingerbreak works on,
as it says in the first post, use kdz and the file in the link to flash your phone to that firmware, and then gingerbreak will work
Android Phones:

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Samsung Galaxy S2
LG-P500

Gremaldin
Old
(Last edited by Gremaldin; 5th November 2011 at 08:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 20
You guys will only learn when you finally end up with a bricked phone. It has happened to several people, including me. I am not a noob, I have used KDZ before and I know very well how to use it. Most of the time, everything goes smoothly. But even if we follow all instructions to the letter, there is a chance of KDZ bricking our phone for good.

http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-...ml#post3328455

Quote:
A warning to anyone tempted to do this. Like the original poster, I also have an LG Optimus T. I am technically savvy (15 years IT experience) and I followed the directions to the letter, but the end result is a bricked, unrecoverable phone. Had I known the risks involved, I would have been perfectly content with Froyo and waited for the official upgrade to arrive.

Here is how mine failed: during the kdz update process, while the phone was on the "Emergency Mode" screen, the kdz updater program threw an exception and crashed. This caused the phone to be permanently locked in emergency mode. The buttons are unresponsive and the only way to turn it off is to remove the battery. With the battery in, it immediately goes to the emergency screen. No combination of button presses (eg, hard reset) does anything. The computer will still see the devices but only if I remove the battery and start the phone up by inserting the USB cable.

I have tried every method for recovery I could find including the following. In each case, I tried it with the modem device listed in device manager both disabled and enabled, as instructed in other recovery threads I found.

Flashing the original .kdz ROM in emergency and cs_emergency modes. When I did, it failed with an exception 4008.
Flashing the original .dz ROM with all of the tools I could find. LGMDP and LGDP2 could see the phone's COM port but beyond that, they could not communicate with the phone in any way. I couldn't even retrieve the IMEI number.
Updating the phone with the LG update software. It actually detects that the phone needs an update and starts to do one but it fails at the point where it tries to communicate with the phone.
Based on other posts I found for the same problem, I believe the phone is completely unrecoverable. I spent over six hours trying to solve the problem and I'm kicking myself for even trying this. I have put in a repair claim with LG and I'm waiting for instructions on how to proceed.

I would not recommend you try this unless you are not worried about destroying your phone. I imagine most installs go without a hitch but if the buggy kdz updater software crashes like it did for me, your phone will likely be bricked permanently.
http://androidforums.com/optimus-one...ml#post3301128

Quote:
In short, don't mess with KDZ unless you really have to.
IF you still think KDZ is safe, then go ahead, use it. I don't care if you end up with a bricked phone.

EDIT: The guys at the service center favour LGMPD over KDZ too

terratrix
Old
(Last edited by terratrix; 5th November 2011 at 09:04 AM.)
Thanks Meter 253
Quote:
You guys will only learn when you finally end up with a bricked phone. It has happened to several people, including me. I am not a noob, I have used KDZ before and I know very well how to use it. Most of the time, everything goes smoothly. But even if we follow all instructions to the letter, there is a chance of KDZ bricking our phone for good.

IF you still think KDZ is safe, then go ahead, use it. I don't care if you end up with a bricked phone.

I have used KDZ more than 2 dozen times -.- Just used it again this morning. I never ended up with a bricked phone mind you. They favour LGMPD since it's more updated, while KDZ is a little old but still very good.

There is a fairly equal share of bricked phones using LGDMPD, eventhough they got it back by using other people's NV2, they need to hope they are lucky to escape the long arm of the law.
Thinking of posting your own cooked rom? Read here first!

deniso177
Old
(Last edited by deniso177; 7th November 2011 at 12:02 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:

Mate your the one who clearly doesnt get it.

And i read your post on androidforums, you even managed to brick your phone installing custom recovery, clearly your phone software is buggy, not kdz, kdz is capable of recovering while in emergency mode as well, but of course there are freak accidents.

EVERYTHING has a WARNING.
Every single Rom, Kernel, Recovery also carry a chance of bricking your phone.
I have used Kdz dozens of times and never had a problem with it, in fact, its what solved my problems in the first place.

And exactly wat terra said, the way LGDMPD works can also cause bricked phoes or taking shortcuts to make things half work.

You have to know what your doing, and follow instructions TO THE WORD, and you should be fine, if your going to skim read then you brick your phone doing the simplest of tasks (such as repeatedly flashing zips without reloading recovery...)

I will always prefer kdz as thats what the firmware comes with originally + i prefer doing clean installs any day.
Android Phones:

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Samsung Galaxy S2
LG-P500
The Following User Says Thank You to deniso177 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shreyas.kukde
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Unhappy Please Help...

Guys please help me. everything was running fine until I decided to switch to stock 2.3.3. I was unaware with this baseband thing. I switched to stock 2.3.3. I did not like it, so decided to roll back to cm7, I did, and here i am with no signal in my phone... I did flash the old baseband, but am still stuck with no signal... am in real trouble, and now if I again switch to stock 2.3.3, then also I dont get a network coverage at all. Please help me buddies

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

And yes one more thing, even if I flash back the old stock froyo, via kdz or lgmdp, I cant get the network coverage... the guy at LG service center says there's some problem with the board... but I dont think its the board problem, is there any way to diagnose this issue or am I *ucked?

deniso177
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyas.kukde View Post
Guys please help me. everything was running fine until I decided to switch to stock 2.3.3. I was unaware with this baseband thing. I switched to stock 2.3.3. I did not like it, so decided to roll back to cm7, I did, and here i am with no signal in my phone... I did flash the old baseband, but am still stuck with no signal... am in real trouble, and now if I again switch to stock 2.3.3, then also I dont get a network coverage at all. Please help me buddies

---------- Post added at 04:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

And yes one more thing, even if I flash back the old stock froyo, via kdz or lgmdp, I cant get the network coverage... the guy at LG service center says there's some problem with the board... but I dont think its the board problem, is there any way to diagnose this issue or am I *ucked?
Hey mate, well no gsm is normally caused by the wrong baseband, so flashing back to the old one should fix the problem, try to re-flash the stock froyo given in the link on first post and see if that works, and if still no coverage then its a hardware problem and Lg should replace it for you, just dont forget to flash back to stock again if you rooted it, then they should fix it within the warranty.
Android Phones:

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
Samsung Galaxy S2
LG-P500