[GUIDE] Set Tasker to AutoReboot on Loss of Signal (LOS)

OP Snazzytime

13th October 2011, 07:27 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Champaign, IL
Thanks Meter: 19

37 posts
More
Loss of Signal (LOS) is annoying. A quick reboot gets signal back. Why wait until you notice you have LOS to reboot? You could be missing phone calls and messages. This will have your phone reboot automatically (unless you're using it), and also record a timestamp of when it happens so you can keep track of it!

All you need: Tasker!

Here is the XML file of this profile.
  1. Open Tasker.
  2. Create new profile, call it whatever (I called it 'LOS')
  3. First Context: State -> Variable Value
  4. Variable Value Name: %CELLSRV, Matches, Value = 'noservice' (no quotes)
  5. Hit Done -> New Task (Call it whatever)
  6. Add: Alert -> Vibrate (for any amount of time. I use 600ms since it'll probably be in my pocket when it happens, but I'd still like to know just in case)
  7. Add: Alert -> Popup (To let you know whats going down)
  8. Add: Task ('Tasker' for older versions) -> Wait (Give it like 30 seconds to give you time to react if you're using phone. If I don't want it to reboot, I would turn airplane mode on, or you can have it check if the screen is off)
  9. Add: Task -> If (%CELLSRV ~ noservice) (Checks again if its still LOS)
  10. Add: Task -> If (%AIR ~ off) OR Add: Task -> If (%SCREEN ~ off) (To check if you're using the phone)
  11. Add: File -> Write File -> File: Tasker/LOS.txt (or whatever file you want to log to), Text: %Date, %Time. Check 'Append'! Done.
  12. Add: Misc -> Reboot
  13. Test and enjoy
Alternatively, if you want to stop the task once it's started, just open tasker, edit the task, and select Killall.

NOTE: Tasker will say that there is no active profiles when you have signal. This is fine! Once you lose signal, it will run the script and then the profile will be active.

How you can test this outside of Tasker's test option is by turning on airplane mode, waiting a few seconds, and turn airplane mode off again. When airplane mode turns off, you initially have no signal until it connects, thus running the script.

Now this is all customizable to fit your needs. Some have added an option to send a text message to themselves upon getting a LOS, letting them know that way when it was. I prefer logging in a txt file, but up to you.

I just found the variable names and values here, and put them to work.
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguid...variables.html. Its just under cell service state and airplane mode status.

Hope that helps guys. I only learned how to use Tasker last night, so if you have better ideas on how to go about this, please reply.
Last edited by Snazzytime; 27th October 2011 at 09:42 PM.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Snazzytime For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2011, 07:44 PM   |  #2  
Flag Vancouver, WA
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
More
Works great but your steps #8 and #9 should be listed as add Task, not add Tasker. Just a little confusing for a newb like me. But other than that......WORKS GREAT!!!!!
13th October 2011, 07:51 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Champaign, IL

37 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentspink

Works great but your steps #8 and #9 should be listed as add Task, not add Tasker.

Well here's the thing. The If and Wait commands are found under: Add new task -> Tasker -> If/Wait. This is why I wrote it as such.

Maybe its just the version I'm using. Glad its working well for you!

Edit: Here's what is shown for me (older versions).
http://i.imgur.com/9Ek9s.jpg
Last edited by Snazzytime; 13th October 2011 at 08:03 PM.
13th October 2011, 07:56 PM   |  #4  
Flag Vancouver, WA
Thanks Meter: 1

31 posts
More
Hmm, yes its different for me. I got newest versions of both quickboot and tasker last night after I saw this developing. Anyway, thanks man. I got a LOS in the last minute or so and it rebooted with no action required from me, restarted tasker after boot and is ready for another LOS. Sooooo nice not having to look at the phone every 10 minutes to ensure I won't miss a call and that the battery isnt quickly draining!
13th October 2011, 08:05 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 178

958 posts
Donate to Me
Why not instead of all that convoluted vibration, popup and airplane mode why don't you just "if it" to %SCREEN ~ off

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

* "if" the reebot task that is
Last edited by reinaldistic; 13th October 2011 at 08:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to reinaldistic For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th October 2011, 08:05 PM   |  #6  
OP Member
Flag Champaign, IL

37 posts
More
Yeah it's probably because I don't have the latest version. I updated the guide. Thanks for the heads up.
13th October 2011, 08:17 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Champaign, IL

37 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinaldistic

Why not instead of all that convoluted vibration, popup and airplane mode why don't you just "if it" to %SCREEN ~ off

Thanks, I didn't think of that. Like I said in the first post, I only got Tasker last night and started playing with it. Still learning the possibilities.
13th October 2011, 08:37 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 53

369 posts
You have the XML file for this task?

- Z
13th October 2011, 08:45 PM   |  #9  
Forum Moderator
Flag Des Moines, IA
Thanks Meter: 1,899

2,039 posts
Donate to Me
More
I love this workaround for LOS but man, Tasker is an expensive app...not to mention needing quick boot plus. Ticks me off that Sprint can't get their s*** figured out and we're forced to pay 8 bucks, and have bright people like you all create a fix, for such a basic part of our service with them.

I'm ready for an OTA fix like a week ago.
13th October 2011, 08:49 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 53

369 posts
What is the other way to reboot without Quick Boot Plus?
Last edited by zzelinka; 13th October 2011 at 08:53 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread