MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

[Q] Anyone notice the Focus with Mango favoring 3G over WIFI?

13th October 2011, 10:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Omnipresent
Thanks Meter: 16

135 posts
I have terrible 3G signal at home and my office. Since updating to the official ATT release of Mango (From the RTM release), I noticed that the phone will not use the WIFI at times until I turn off the data.

Anyone else notice this?
14th October 2011, 09:14 PM   |  #2  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 230

1,360 posts
More
mine always uses wifi unless it's not connected to a wifi network.

wp7 does seem to shut off the wifi connection when its asleep though and then reconnects when you turn on the screen....
7th November 2011, 11:58 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N!njaDuck

I have terrible 3G signal at home and my office. Since updating to the official ATT release of Mango (From the RTM release), I noticed that the phone will not use the WIFI at times until I turn off the data.

Anyone else notice this?

YES...I have this very problem. At times, my Focus has trouble connecting to wifi, and at times when it is connected it actually uses 3G/3G+ and then the connection
stalls.

In my case the 3G isn't bad, and neither is the wifi...if i turn of either Cellular data or WIFI then the other will work just fine for data. It is as though the phone has trouble switching between the two.

Finally, I have talked to a couple HTC Radar owners with the same problem in another forum. Besides having Mango in common, we all think it might be related to using Internet Sharing (which I 'hacked' onto my Focus). Do you have the Internet SHaring hack on your Focus?
8th November 2011, 02:25 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 6

198 posts
With my Focus (with Mango update) did not have problem.
With Focus S, experiencing disconnects on WiFi.
9th November 2011, 03:40 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 19

265 posts
More
My Focus prefers wifi over 3G.
13th November 2011, 05:02 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Omnipresent
Thanks Meter: 16

135 posts
More clarity on my experience:

It does not favor 3G over WIFI. It does check the 3G signal before WIFI and when in a bad coverage area that has "some" connectivity it seems to time-out prior to using the WIFI.

Any advice would be welcome.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
focus, problem, wifi
Previous Thread Next Thread