Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Give me a good reason to put the new SIM card in

OP Lucas155

15th October 2011, 07:14 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

56 posts
Is there any reason to put the new SIM card that came with my phone in? I put in the same one that I've been using for years (Dash->G1->G2->SGS2) and it works fine. 4G shows at the top of the screen. I haven't tried a speed test yet, but I'd bet I get 4G speeds the same way I did on my G2.

So, what good reason is there?
15th October 2011, 08:01 AM   |  #2  
Flag Boise
Thanks Meter: 1

47 posts
More
Right now, there is no reason. When the wifi calling becomes available it will require the new Sim.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
15th October 2011, 04:26 PM   |  #3  
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 51

710 posts
More
do you have some sort of sentimental connection to that sim? why not just use the new one to make sure yoour up to date?
15th October 2011, 04:38 PM   |  #4  
Flag DC by way of BK
Thanks Meter: 315

2,020 posts
More
Where did you guys find the new sim card? Is it in the plastic wrapper with the manual/user guide? I don't see it in the box and I haven't opened up the plastic wrapping the manual/user guide is wrapped in. Fyi I did buy my phone from a T-Mobile.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
15th October 2011, 05:23 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 63

992 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas155

Is there any reason to put the new SIM card that came with my phone in? I put in the same one that I've been using for years (Dash->G1->G2->SGS2) and it works fine. 4G shows at the top of the screen. I haven't tried a speed test yet, but I'd bet I get 4G speeds the same way I did on my G2.

So, what good reason is there?

I replaced my five yr old sim card with it because my old one seemingly caused some bad 3g data issues. I found this out by swapping sim cards with a friend who just signed with T-Mobile and an SGS2. I replaced my old one with the one that came with the SGS2 and now I'm not only seeing improved 3g speeds but also better call reception.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
15th October 2011, 06:18 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 19

375 posts
Quick question, my sim is about 3 months old. Will it work with wifi calling when it is released or is the SIM in the box even more "updated" than a 3 month old sim?
16th October 2011, 01:43 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 20

112 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea3000

Quick question, my sim is about 3 months old. Will it work with wifi calling when it is released or is the SIM in the box even more "updated" than a 3 month old sim?

No, the GS2 and Amaze 4G are the first phones to shop with the new sim cards.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
16th October 2011, 02:05 AM   |  #8  
Flag Washington, DC
Thanks Meter: 27

294 posts
More
You need new Sim in order to get ota updates.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App
16th October 2011, 02:08 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 19

375 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4fire

You need new Sim in order to get ota updates.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

Are you sure about this? where Did you get this information? sounds a bit unrealistic that ota. Uupdates are tied to the sim in the box.
19th October 2011, 05:16 AM   |  #10  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 10

44 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea3000

Are you sure about this? where Did you get this information? sounds a bit unrealistic that ota. Uupdates are tied to the sim in the box.

They aren't. They are tied to IMEI's. Two things you really need it for; 1. If you want to use WiFi calling after the maintenance update in a couple weeks, you will absolutely have to have this SIM card. No questions. It will not work. 2. After time, the older SIM cards will fail. This could lead to data access, call drop, sms sending/receiving and signal issues. If you have one now to activate, saves you a call and a trip to the local store for a replacement.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread