Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,771,312 Members 52,704 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Give me a good reason to put the new SIM card in

Tip us?

Lucas155
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Give me a good reason to put the new SIM card in

Is there any reason to put the new SIM card that came with my phone in? I put in the same one that I've been using for years (Dash->G1->G2->SGS2) and it works fine. 4G shows at the top of the screen. I haven't tried a speed test yet, but I'd bet I get 4G speeds the same way I did on my G2.

So, what good reason is there?

Adj.
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Right now, there is no reason. When the wifi calling becomes available it will require the new Sim.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

BiGMERF
Old
Thanks Meter 51
do you have some sort of sentimental connection to that sim? why not just use the new one to make sure yoour up to date?

OuncE718
Old
Thanks Meter 307
Where did you guys find the new sim card? Is it in the plastic wrapper with the manual/user guide? I don't see it in the box and I haven't opened up the plastic wrapping the manual/user guide is wrapped in. Fyi I did buy my phone from a T-Mobile.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

ryan562
Old
Thanks Meter 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas155 View Post
Is there any reason to put the new SIM card that came with my phone in? I put in the same one that I've been using for years (Dash->G1->G2->SGS2) and it works fine. 4G shows at the top of the screen. I haven't tried a speed test yet, but I'd bet I get 4G speeds the same way I did on my G2.

So, what good reason is there?
I replaced my five yr old sim card with it because my old one seemingly caused some bad 3g data issues. I found this out by swapping sim cards with a friend who just signed with T-Mobile and an SGS2. I replaced my old one with the one that came with the SGS2 and now I'm not only seeing improved 3g speeds but also better call reception.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Samsung Galaxy Note n7000
ClockworkMod-Based Recovery
Criskelo's ICS Touchwiz Rom v3
Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
LPY Kernel

Apple iPad (3rd Gen)

Asus Transformer Prime Tablet
ClockworkMod Recovery 5.5.0.4
Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich
Virtuous Prime Rom S Series 9.4.2.15 v1

http://www.youtube.com/boloe562

mikea3000
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quick question, my sim is about 3 months old. Will it work with wifi calling when it is released or is the SIM in the box even more "updated" than a 3 month old sim?

dbiggss
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea3000 View Post
Quick question, my sim is about 3 months old. Will it work with wifi calling when it is released or is the SIM in the box even more "updated" than a 3 month old sim?
No, the GS2 and Amaze 4G are the first phones to shop with the new sim cards.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

quest4fire
Old
Thanks Meter 27
You need new Sim in order to get ota updates.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App
Current: TMobile Samsung Galaxy S2 Hercules. ROM: CM9
Samsung Galaxy Nexus GSM ROM: Stock Jellybean (on loan)
LG G2x. ROM: Eaglesblood (Sold)
TMobile Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant. ROM: Bionic 1.3.1 (Sold)

mikea3000
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by quest4fire View Post
You need new Sim in order to get ota updates.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App
Are you sure about this? where Did you get this information? sounds a bit unrealistic that ota. Uupdates are tied to the sim in the box.

Adam7986
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea3000 View Post
Are you sure about this? where Did you get this information? sounds a bit unrealistic that ota. Uupdates are tied to the sim in the box.
They aren't. They are tied to IMEI's. Two things you really need it for; 1. If you want to use WiFi calling after the maintenance update in a couple weeks, you will absolutely have to have this SIM card. No questions. It will not work. 2. After time, the older SIM cards will fail. This could lead to data access, call drop, sms sending/receiving and signal issues. If you have one now to activate, saves you a call and a trip to the local store for a replacement.