Post LTE Upgrade Xoom Battery is Horrid. Any fixes?

OP Err0xx

16th October 2011, 06:31 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham, Alabama
Thanks Meter: 155

568 posts
More
Got my LTE upgrade done on my Xoom and now the battery is a joke. I went into settings and disabled the LTE connection, so that now 3g is only used. I also turn wifi on when at home. Currently my Xoom is draining 4ish% per hour while in standby. That means this damn thing won't last a day just sitting there, locked, with no screen on. In Honeycomb 3.0 and 3.1 I could get a days of use with 4-5 hours of screen on time and about 22-26 hours of total unplugged time. Now, under 3.2.2 my battery is totally dead after 18 hours of unplugged time with around 1-1.5 hours of screen use. This is virtually unuseable for taking notes in graduate school after work, when being close to an outlet is impossible.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Tried using Watch Dog and System Panel to see if any apps were going nuts with random CPU usage or RAM usage and everything seems to be in-check in terms of system resource usage. Considering I have 4g totally turned off and wifi enabled when I'm in range of wifi (most of the day) I don't have a clue where this power drain is coming from. Any assistance is highly appreciated given how much I rely on my Xoom for day-to-day use. 3.2.2 seems to have killed it for me.

Please help! Will try any suggestions.

Thanks.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium
Last edited by Err0xx; 16th October 2011 at 06:38 PM.
16th October 2011, 08:37 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 25

130 posts
Have you tried disabling mobile data entirely? When I'm in wifi, I disable the cellular connection but haven't performed any in-depth trials on battery life.

"Settings" > "Wireless & networks" > "Mobile networks" > deselect "Data enabled"
17th October 2011, 12:45 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

47 posts
Its not just you, mine is the same way it sucks big time. There really isn't anything that I've found to fix it.
I loved how I used to be able more than a day out of a charge...

Anybody have any ideas? Maybe undervolt kernel???

17th October 2011, 02:15 AM   |  #4  
Flag Chino Hills, CA
Thanks Meter: 0

85 posts
More
I just received my zoom Lte upgrade and haven't had any battery issues.
17th October 2011, 02:50 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham, Alabama

568 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PengLord

Have you tried disabling mobile data entirely? When I'm in wifi, I disable the cellular connection but haven't performed any in-depth trials on battery life.

"Settings" > "Wireless & networks" > "Mobile networks" > deselect "Data enabled"

I haven't but this isn't feasable. I use mobile internet for everything and even take notes and such on Google docs. Even though I'm near wifi for most of a given day, I shouldn't be bothered by manually turning mobile data on and off just to have power- mobile data should be mostly killed when wifi is active. That's how this Xoom worked before. A tablet without internet is nothing more than a paperweight to me. 2 classmates with LTE upgraded Xooms are having identical problems. No fixes found yet. Any other suggestions? This battery life is really, REALLY bad.

Tried going a factory reset and battery life is the same, horrid short, running nothing but stock apps.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Err0xx; 17th October 2011 at 02:52 AM.
17th October 2011, 02:53 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Birmingham, Alabama

568 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredup

I just received my zoom Lte upgrade and haven't had any battery issues.

How long ago did you receive it? The degraded battery seems to have started shortly after the first initial charge after the LTE install.

17th October 2011, 04:14 PM   |  #7  
Flag Tyler, TX
Thanks Meter: 3

283 posts
More
Same problem here, but I have the mobile network completely turned off and it still does this! Even with the switch to CDMA only!

I will keep reading this thread (only read the about half the posts before posting) so hopefully a solution will show up. But you're not alone in the horrible battery life post LTE upgrade!
17th October 2011, 04:21 PM   |  #8  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 75

327 posts
More
I've had my Xoom back since last Wed.

No higher battery drain than previously.

I'm on wifi 90% of the time in home and office.

Yesterday I was all over north San Diego county using 4g. Got home with 60% charge which is about the same as for a prior trip with 3g.
17th October 2011, 04:23 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 26

509 posts
Put your xoom back the way it was. The new hardware sucks the battery a little more. Buy a thunderbolt and then say the xoom battery life sucks. Never charged it during the day before the upgrade. Oh well, that's the price if 4g.

Sent from my ADR6400L using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to hammer4203 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
17th October 2011, 04:31 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 113

612 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Err0xx

Got my LTE upgrade done on my Xoom and now the battery is a joke. I went into settings and disabled the LTE connection, so that now 3g is only used. I also turn wifi on when at home. Currently my Xoom is draining 4ish% per hour while in standby. That means this damn thing won't last a day just sitting there, locked, with no screen on. In Honeycomb 3.0 and 3.1 I could get a days of use with 4-5 hours of screen on time and about 22-26 hours of total unplugged time. Now, under 3.2.2 my battery is totally dead after 18 hours of unplugged time with around 1-1.5 hours of screen use. This is virtually unuseable for taking notes in graduate school after work, when being close to an outlet is impossible.

Any ideas as to what's going on? Tried using Watch Dog and System Panel to see if any apps were going nuts with random CPU usage or RAM usage and everything seems to be in-check in terms of system resource usage. Considering I have 4g totally turned off and wifi enabled when I'm in range of wifi (most of the day) I don't have a clue where this power drain is coming from. Any assistance is highly appreciated given how much I rely on my Xoom for day-to-day use. 3.2.2 seems to have killed it for me.

Please help! Will try any suggestions.

Thanks.

Download Auto Airplane Mode by DON from the market. It will help BIG TIME!! It does just what the title states, it puts the Xoom into airplane mode automatically as soon as the screen goes off. When you turn the screen back it, the data comes right back in 3 -4 seconds and you're good to go!

Also, you don't have to uncheck any settings or turn 4G off.

The Following User Says Thank You to z06mike For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread