Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,800 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Screen cracked already.. :(

Tip us?

gijoe69
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Factory warranty covers you

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

AznDud333
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Well this is rather scary..what caused it?

AznDud333
Old
Thanks Meter 123
i took a look around on gorilla glass manufacturing, i think this is actually a manufacturing defect that occurs over time
gorilla is made by heating glass to 400C and dipping it in molten potassium(to rid of the sodium ions in glass and replace it with potassium, which is a bigger ion) what this does is that it creates more surface tension, as the surface of the glass is pushed together, therefore getting rid of "imperfections" and so it does not crack as easily

the con in this process is that the "breathing" room for these ions are gone, so if you were in a really cold place, chances are your screen is a bit cold too..then it gets heated up and the potassium ion has no where to go, therefore forming this hairline crack
The Following User Says Thank You to AznDud333 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

phreshjoker
Old
Thanks Meter 158
Dude you rock... I ain't taking my phone no where cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDud333 View Post
i took a look around on gorilla glass manufacturing, i think this is actually a manufacturing defect that occurs over time
gorilla is made by heating glass to 400C and dipping it in molten potassium(to rid of the sodium ions in glass and replace it with potassium, which is a bigger ion) what this does is that it creates more surface tension, as the surface of the glass is pushed together, therefore getting rid of "imperfections" and so it does not crack as easily

the con in this process is that the "breathing" room for these ions are gone, so if you were in a really cold place, chances are your screen is a bit cold too..then it gets heated up and the potassium ion has no where to go, therefore forming this hairline crack

AznDud333
Old
Thanks Meter 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by phreshjoker View Post
Dude you rock... I ain't taking my phone no where cold

the idea isnt that the phone cracks when it's cold
it's that when it's suddenly heated from a lower temperature it may or may not crack due to the increased surface tension(not entirely cracking, just the surface of one of the sides)
The Following User Says Thank You to AznDud333 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

maybememe
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Galaxy Nexus Screen Cracks Far TOO easily!

My GN screen hair line cracked mysteriously.
http://youtu.be/7rkz36Q-xZY

Others have no idea how itís happened to their phones as well!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1425382

Maybe itís the new fortified glass design thatís flawed?
Maybe itís weather related, from indoor to cold outdoors?
Maybe itís just a bad design overall?

I just want to warn others of itís extreme fragility.

jaekidd1012
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I've had a D30 case and screen protector on my phone from day one and have dropped it too many times (s*** happens, right?) Without a scratch, crack or blemish. It takes away from the aesthetics but its better than replacing a $500 phone. I would love to look at my phone without the case but this thing is too expensive to take out into the world commando.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
Current Lineup:
Samsung Galaxy Note II 16 GB [UNROOTED]

Former Devices:
Samsung Galaxy S III 16 GB [ROOTED][SOLD]
Samsung Galaxy S II [ROOTED][GAVE TO GF]
Motorola Xoom MZ604 [ROOTED]

HP Touchpad 32 GB
[SCREEN CRACKED][GAVE TO FRIEND]
HTC G2/Desire Z [SOLD]

iLeopard
Old
Thanks Meter 170

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnice564 View Post
i have no idea. i doubt it because my phone was in my pocket jus like i always carry my htc sensation and that never happened.i dont think gorilla glass would crack that easy
I don't think gorilla glass is any harder to break. It only increases the resistance to scratches. Someone else confirm this?

Longcat14
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by makomek View Post
The phone is too big to go in your pocket ,cause when you sit down you are putting pressure on the thin phone and sometime the plastic flex a little will crack the glass. Not like HTC where they have metal in the back . Samsung Phones are allways built like toys.thats the reason why I don't like Samsuk.
And if you drop a heavy thick craps phone (HTC) from more then 2 feet, it'll shatter like a iPhone 4.

People have taken hammers to the SGS and SGS II and not even managed to crack the screen.

The plastic body is also better because, unlike "metal" like HTC, it won't deform from a drop, just scratch up a bit if it's a bad drop.

That's really weird that the screen cracked already, but now that I know that cold thing, NO COLD PLACES FOR ME PHONE.
Current Phone

Samsung Galaxy S5 - AT&T
-----------------------------------------
Rooted
-----------------------------------------

Previous Phone(s):
HTC One M8 - Samsung Galaxy S III Pebble Blue - Apple iPhone 4S

Rekzer
Old
Thanks Meter 31
I live in Winnipeg where its -40 regularly during the winter. No cracks on my phone. Ive had it exposed to the air to. I dont think warm or cold really has an effect, I honestly think its manufacturing defects. We know we have screen issues already...