XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Screen cracked already.. :(

Tip us?

Longcat14
Old
Thanks Meter 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekzer View Post
I live in Winnipeg where its -40 regularly during the winter. No cracks on my phone. Ive had it exposed to the air to. I dont think warm or cold really has an effect, I honestly think its manufacturing defects. We know we have screen issues already...
Yeah, but apparently this is something with Gorilla Glass, so basically any Samsung phone would have this problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
Current Phone

HTC One M8 - AT&T
-----------------------------------------
ROM: Stock
Kernel: Stock
Radio: Stock
-----------------------------------------

Previous Phone(s):
Samsung Galaxy S5 - Samsung Galaxy S III Pebble Blue - Apple iPhone 4S

MrBewst
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longcat14 View Post
Yeah, but apparently this is something with Gorilla Glass, so basically any Samsung phone would have this problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium
Not so fast, the Samsung GN doesn't have Gorilla glass.

However, it just clicked that this might be related to specific processes of any 'fortified glass' or for that matter Samsung manufacturing procedures. Both GSII and GN having this problem? Gorilla glass and some unknown 'fortified glass'?

Seems a little fishy. Maybe this unknown fortified glass is the same thing as Gorilla glass. Or maybe it's just the way both glasses are made... who knows.

AznDud333
Old
(Last edited by AznDud333; 25th January 2012 at 12:57 AM.)
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekzer View Post
I live in Winnipeg where its -40 regularly during the winter. No cracks on my phone. Ive had it exposed to the air to. I dont think warm or cold really has an effect, I honestly think its manufacturing defects. We know we have screen issues already...
you're failing to see the point in this

gorilla glass is manufactured by replacing smaller sodium ions with larger potassium ions, so in lesser space a larger ion has to fill the spot the sodium ion once filled, this creates a pressure that pushes the glass together and rids of "imperfections" on the glass

now on to the hot and cold part
you ever wonder why the electricity lines are tight in the winter and loose in the summer? same logic here..

what happens is that if your phone screen gets to a certain temperature and is heated suddenly, the material wont have enough time to adopt to the new temperature, and since heat causes expansion, the potassium ions would create a even larger pressure and pushes the glass apart
jusy my 2 cents, since gorilla glass i created by dipping glass in 400C molten salts, id assume only the surface is "gorilla'd", which is the reason why only a side of it would crack

edit:
the screen defect is not related to this at all
the screen defect is caused by the circuit behind the screen not being able to provide equal power to all parts of the screen, it has nothing to do with the glass

now this is rarely an issue on LCDs, but amoleds consists of numerous of oleds per pixel, so each of them is powered and signaled through some sort of controls, some of these oleds dont get enough currents, which is why this issue exists

MrBewst
Old
(Last edited by MrBewst; 25th January 2012 at 08:49 PM.) Reason: Likely misread quoted text
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDud333 View Post
edit:
the screen defect is not related to this at all
the screen defect is caused by the circuit behind the screen not being able to provide equal power to all parts of the screen, it has nothing to do with the glass

now this is rarely an issue on LCDs, but amoleds consists of numerous of oleds per pixel, so each of them is powered and signaled through some sort of controls, some of these oleds dont get enough currents, which is why this issue exists
Please forgive me, what is the defect that you are referring to?

I thought we were talking about cracks....

Some people have referenced the fact that some point of the manufacturing process might be causing initial cracks that grow over time with additional temperature change.

edit: I might have read you wrong...you might be referring that the hairline cracks are not created during user use. I'd agree with that. Most electronics can survive what humans can't. Although a crack could grow like on a car window after the initial damage.

magnum_touchpro
Old
Thanks Meter 15
this is weird, i have a samsung infuse that has a hair line crack on the top of the screen near the FFC out of nowhere.

glad my s2 is ok, did you have any type of screen protector on it?? i think ill go get the ghost protection just incase

Cocaine Samsung Galaxy Note II

AznDud333
Old
Thanks Meter 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBewst View Post
Please forgive me, what is the defect that you are referring to?

I thought we were talking about cracks....

Some people have referenced the fact that some point of the manufacturing process might be causing initial cracks that grow over time with additional temperature change.

edit: I might have read you wrong...you might be referring that the hairline cracks are not created during user use. I'd agree with that. Most electronics can survive what humans can't. Although a crack could grow like on a car window after the initial damage.
Manufacturing defect is not necessary to cause this, all materials are formed with bonded atoms, therefore there will be imperfections between them

Anyway, imagine one side of the glass expanding while the other gets compressed

Erikdrakon
Old
Thanks Meter 20
gsII screen crack is a known issue within tmo if you take it in to a store or call in it should be replaced without much of an issue... covered under warranty no charge for the replacement.

Xhyperion
Old
Thanks Meter 55

DONATE TO ME
The screen is flush with the sides of the phone. It's going to come in contact with things other than your fingers. My epic had a slightly recessed screen with no protector or case and I never had a scratch or crack on the screen.

This phone really does need a case and protector even with gorilla. One straight hit to a concrete edge and you are done sir.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium
Did I help you? Please donate to 1Kc4EvLjXuGdVz9bi6hjyAD9zw3Z7zgCew

PrasanRocks
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Samsung Galaxy S2 Hairline Crack

I also have the same hairline crack problem under the glass, after 6 months of use. Can't explain it. Like everyone says can't see it with the screen guard on, and the phone works fine. The guy at the store who changed the screen guard only noticed it. From what I read it seems to be a common problem. Never dropped it but had it in my front pocket. I bought it without warranty so I m doomed....

If it is a manufacturing defect, then Samsung and the likes are cheating us.(I bought the phone in Sri Lanka and I wanted to get the MHL adaptor and asked from Samsung agent, and the sales girls had no idea what it was!!!)

Shame on Samsung!!!!!!!

sunburn12
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Sorry for resurrecting this topic.

Newbie here. I have the same issue my T989 was 3 month old then while holding it the LCD totally cracked inside and can't be use anymore. I never dropped it or done anything harsh to it's LCD. I'm just holding it then when I was going to check the time. Boom! LCD is totally gone! Only the top part is visible.