Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,638 Members 54,225 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Gestures for multitasking?

Tip us?

irishtexmex
Old
(Last edited by irishtexmex; 17th October 2011 at 05:00 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Default Gestures for multitasking?

I dont know if this is possible within the framework of Honeycomb, but I was wondering if I was possible to add gesture control using a root-access app?

Personally, I'm only looking for one feature: WebOS style task switching. I love the way Honeycomb multitasks, but I wish I could just swipe up from the bottom of the screen (starting on the bezel below the screen) and have it open up Honeycomb's app switcher. For reference, WaveLauncher implements similar WebOS-lite utility with a similarly implemented gesture implementation.

And just for the hell of it, I think it would be great if there could be an option to open the task switcher horizontally across the middle of the screen. I know I know, "Go buy a touchpad!" I'm just saying I think it would be awesome, and I'm certain others would think so too.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App

billylim99
Old
Thanks Meter 2
there's this app call dock4droid. you can find it in the market. some member post about this app some time ago here. I am using that app now. it works great.you can choose to put it on left/right top or down, anywhere you like. it will show recent app, and you can customize what app to appear on that dock.

sorry for my poor explanation. download it and have a try, it should fits what you want. I think. There's a free version of it.

p/s : i never touch the multitask button ever since i used this app it's kinda lag for me

Sichroteph
Old
Thanks Meter 56
I am I afraid there is no good solution, and each app that overlay your screen like this one will make your tablet lag :(

Patrul
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Normaly I switch betwen 2 apps, it would be nice being able to one click switch between them

irishtexmex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrul View Post
Normaly I switch betwen 2 apps, it would be nice being able to one click switch between them
I agree. Just a "Quickswitch" button that switched between the last 2 used apps would be awesome.

hebbe
Old
Thanks Meter 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtexmex View Post
I agree. Just a "Quickswitch" button that switched between the last 2 used apps would be awesome.
hmm, we already have something like a "2-click-switcher"...

but the idea of swithcing tasks like in webos is really charming :))

would love to have this, too.

irishtexmex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbe View Post
hmm, we already have something like a "2-click-switcher"...

but the idea of swithcing tasks like in webos is really charming :))

would love to have this, too.
I was thinking more along the lines of an individual button next to the task switcher. It's surprising how much quicker & intuitive things feel when there is only one action needed to be performed (one swipe, one button press, etc.).

Anyway, I'm just sorta spitballin' in this thread. I've been using an Android phone for over a year now, and my tablet for a few months, and I still haven't been able to get over missing WebOS style multitasking. That's not to say I'm dogging on Android's, it works well, it's just not the absolute best.

Patrul
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Is there any minimize button? It wold be what I need

apDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrul View Post
Is there any minimize button? It wold be what I need
The home button :-p

This is a great idea, but may only be possible on rooted phones with custom ROMs. I am going to look into an implementation that does not toll performance or battery. Perhaps a simple widget at the bottom of the home screen? Then again that would require going home first, making the widget redundant.
T-Mobile Vibrant (retired - backup and dev)
Galaxy Nexus - best phone ever made

Galaxy Tab 10.1
Nexus 7

.torrented
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1471

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtexmex View Post
I dont know if this is possible within the framework of Honeycomb, but I was wondering if I was possible to add gesture control using a root-access app?

Personally, I'm only looking for one feature: WebOS style task switching. I love the way Honeycomb multitasks, but I wish I could just swipe up from the bottom of the screen (starting on the bezel below the screen) and have it open up Honeycomb's app switcher. For reference, WaveLauncher implements similar WebOS-lite utility with a similarly implemented gesture implementation.

And just for the hell of it, I think it would be great if there could be an option to open the task switcher horizontally across the middle of the screen. I know I know, "Go buy a touchpad!" I'm just saying I think it would be awesome, and I'm certain others would think so too.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using XDA Premium App
So exactly like the blackberry Playbook... that's exactly what it does ... swipe from bezel to open multitasking