Please see THIS THREAD before doing this procedure, you might be able to avoid using the HTC unlock.
WARNING: This procedure applies to flyers (not View) only and should be used only if you get the following message when trying to downgrade:
"Main Version is older! Update Fail! Press <POWER> to reboot"
If you upgraded to HoneyComb using the Official OTA perform these steps, otherwise skip to section "Downgrade" below
- Perform a HTC unlock using the HTC unlock website
- Download this recovery download MD5: bb366b025dcc454ffe8b21b8bf0c72d0
- Download superuser from here
- Copy the su zip file to the root of your external SD card.
- Boot the flyer to fastboot mode
- Flash recover
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Reboot to recovery and install the su zip file.
- Reboot to android
- Proceed with the downgradre procedure below.
- First download the RUU for your device from this thread.
If you don't know which RUU to use see post #2.
If there is no RUU for your region/operator, download one of the unbranded ones and create a goldcard
- Download misc_version_universal.zip and extract the misc_version file from it.
- If you don't have adb and fastboot on your PC
- check the version number for your RUU
In my example I am using this RUU: RUU_Flyer_HTC_WWE_2.00.405.3_R_Radio_20.3501.30.08 9BU_3809.05.04.10_M_release_194964_signed.exe
The version is the part highlighted in red.
- Boot your flyer up to android if it's not already on, with usb debugging enabled and connect it to the PC.
- Run the following command:
adb push misc_version /data/local/misc_version
- Run the following commands:
adb shell $ su (make sure your screen is unlocked so you see a toaster notification if it appears) # chmod 777 /data/local/misc_version # /data/local/misc_version -s 2.00.405.3
You will see a message about backing up and writing misc partition
- Reboot to fastboot: Code:
adb reboot bootloader
- Relock the bootloader: Code:
fastboot oem lock
- Run your RUU
If you have correctly completed the process you will no longer get the "Main Version is older! Update Fail! Press <POWER> to reboot" message and you will be able to downgrade to GingerBread.
Note: By choosing an appropriate value for the version it is also possible to return to a specific operator ROM if you have previously upgraded with a goldcard and you have a suitable original RUU. If using the procedure for a downgrade within gingerbread you must first root the flyer and skip step 8. For example you can downgrade from a WWE RUU to an O2 RUU.
Alastor_ru for testing this procedure for me.
Grkdotnot and RMarkland for testing the procedures for BestBuy Flyers
lpasq, RMarkland - Many thanks for the contributions; your donations will be used to facilitate the search for full S-OFF.
For support please join the IRC channel #flyer-downgrade on freenode. If you don't have an IRC client you can use the following link #flyer-downgrade