[REF] Known identified battery drainers

27th October 2011, 07:55 PM   |  #31  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,415

13,305 posts
Donate to Me
More
Maybe try using SetCPU to force the max clock down while you play.

I think there are advanced scripting tricks (like maybe Tasker) that let you automate this, but not sure.
27th October 2011, 08:25 PM   |  #32  
Thanks Meter: 21

121 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

I think there are advanced scripting tricks (like maybe Tasker) that let you automate this, but not sure.

This is a good idea. At 1.4ghz the phone gets extremely hot while playing Sentinel for any longer than half an hour. at 800mhz the game still runs smoothly without heating up.
28th October 2011, 02:37 AM   |  #33  
SoFla
Thanks Meter: 11

121 posts
More
Entropy512, is it safe to post a pcap file here? or does it have sensitive information? I am looking at it in wire shark and dont really know what I am looking for, I do my HTPC/server showing up alot as a SSDP protocol which seems to be related to a UPNP server, which could also be related to my Plex Media Server or iSedora media server.. I also see some UDP destination port 32412, plex port is 32400 so I am assuming it may be related to my plex server somehow.. ( I do have a plex app, but it doesnt always stay connected or anything like that)
28th October 2011, 03:16 AM   |  #34  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,415

13,305 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by penskyc

Entropy512, is it safe to post a pcap file here? or does it have sensitive information? I am looking at it in wire shark and dont really know what I am looking for, I do my HTPC/server showing up alot as a SSDP protocol which seems to be related to a UPNP server, which could also be related to my Plex Media Server or iSedora media server.. I also see some UDP destination port 32412, plex port is 32400 so I am assuming it may be related to my plex server somehow.. ( I do have a plex app, but it doesnt always stay connected or anything like that)

Normally no, but it depends on how it was captured. Wireshark has an option to capture the first N bytes of a packet - 68 is enough to catch all IP and TCP or UDP headers, and identify the protocols used, while having a fairly low risk of exposing personal information.

A full capture - posting that would be inadvised.

This issue is why I still haven't posted a Shark for Root tutorial, I need to make sure, without a doubt, that it can do the packet truncation stuff, both for privacy and file size reasons.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
28th October 2011, 02:36 PM   |  #35  
Flag Lexington
Thanks Meter: 5

62 posts
More
Could someone please look my wakelocks and see if anything is out of sorts?
Attached Files
File Type: txt wakelocks.txt - [Click for QR Code] (2.7 KB, 105 views)
28th October 2011, 03:04 PM   |  #36  
Thanks Meter: 40

221 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

I've been looking into this becuase I love words with friends and I hate what it does to my battery. As far as I can find yes you can downclock the CPU for specific apps using tasker, but you have to use a couple other apps along with it. It is discussed here about 1/2 way down the page.

I found another battery drainer I think. It may be this is a known issue and I'm just not aware of it becuase I'm so new to android. When I switched to Launcher pro I left my TW screens configured (all 7 of them). I noticed that I was getting wakelocks from widget programs I wasn't even running and it dawned on me that those widgets were present on the TW launcher screens. I cleared them all off and I did not get any wakelocks from those programs today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide. For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th October 2011, 09:38 PM   |  #37  
Flag Oregon
Thanks Meter: 25

655 posts
More
Anyone had issues with GPS Status? After about 15% overall battery used today, it was at about 16% itself despite me not using it in days.
31st October 2011, 02:10 AM   |  #38  
Southern Maine / Seacoast NH
Thanks Meter: 702

2,410 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrie1121

Anyone had issues with GPS Status? After about 15% overall battery used today, it was at about 16% itself despite me not using it in days.

Yes, saw similar behaviour the first couple days I had the phone. Just deleted the app since I have had no problems with GPS on this device, so no troubleshooting by me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
31st October 2011, 03:03 AM   |  #39  
Flag Oregon
Thanks Meter: 25

655 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrumheller

Yes, saw similar behaviour the first couple days I had the phone. Just deleted the app since I have had no problems with GPS on this device, so no troubleshooting by me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

I deleted as well, just am curious what other people have seen.
31st October 2011, 05:47 PM   |  #40  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 79

337 posts
I had wakelocks issue with K9 mail app. By default it uses push for receiving new email. I get moderate number of emails daily and I noticed that my phone spends too much time woke up with K9 being the reason. There is a report that K9 doesn't let the phone go for at least a minute after each push notification.

Things go back normal after I disabled push, switched to poll every hour and only first-level imap folders. Also increased default value imap-idle refresh timeout.

hope this will help others.

-- vlad
Last edited by vladm7; 31st October 2011 at 05:51 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread