OP Entropy512

16th February 2012, 01:14 AM   |  #461  
Union NJ
Thanks Meter: 684

2,291 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

Kernel + system image. Modem has no effect on wifi. Any firmware base should work with a 5 GHz router.

Actually... CONGRATULATIONS! You just found a Hellraiser bug! (Well, not a bug, but something Hellraiser doesn't handle right now.)

There are country code entries in nvram_net.txt and nvram_net.txt_murata in /system/etc/wifi. To be able to see most 5 GHz frequencies used in the USA, you need to change the ccode in nvram_net.txt from GB to ALL and in nvram_net.txt_murata from GB to US. (Actually you might need to only do one of these, I need to chat with garyd9. Thank him for this - he just recently dealt with this issue on his Galaxy Note.) The above instructions apply to XWLA1 - If you make the above changes, it SHOULD see all 5 GHz APs in the USA. I9100 bases can see 5 GHz routers - but unlike the 2.4 GHz band where foreign countries only have a few extra bands we don't, for 5 GHz the bands are almost (but not quite) completely nonoverlapping. Changing the country code setting fixes this.

(I just tested this. Stock XWLA1 can't see my 5 GHz AP, with the above changes it can.)

With XWLA1, turning on wifi should at worst not hurt your battery, and in many cases will actually improve battery life.

Thanks!! I changed the settings on Turkey ROM and it worked! Now to see if there are any issues with wifi. Thanks again!

Well it does suck the juice when I leave wifi on but no biggie since i always kill it when I dont use it

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Last edited by jasvncnt1; 16th February 2012 at 02:33 PM.
16th February 2012, 03:49 PM   |  #462  
Thanks Meter: 2

33 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_99

For two days in a row now Slacker has been throwing a partial wakelock starting at ~4am.

Did this both with WIFI off and WIFI on. My friend noticed the same behavior on his Atrix.

Still happening. I made sure Wireless Cache refresh was turned off.

Found once reference on Slacker's forums of someone else having the same issue back in Oct, so apparently its been happening for awhile. Guess I'll be un-installing it.
16th February 2012, 09:47 PM   |  #463  
Thanks Meter: 1,945

3,433 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_99

Still happening. I made sure Wireless Cache refresh was turned off.

Found once reference on Slacker's forums of someone else having the same issue back in Oct, so apparently its been happening for awhile. Guess I'll be un-installing it.

Was happening to me to - I could NOT get it to stop trying to refresh the stations not matter what I did. Uninstalled
18th February 2012, 08:35 PM   |  #464  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 12

74 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512

LAN Environment (WiFi):

• Broadcast LAN traffic can wake your wifi chip often. This also manifests as the Android OS "bug", but it's a small problem with the firmware base (XXKI3 and UCKK6 are known to be affected) and mostly a network problem. Examples I've seen so far include:
    • Windows Client Backup
    • UPnP (DLNA) SSDP
    • Dropbox Lan Sync Discovery Protocol
    • Buggy piece-of-**** routers that spam lots of ARP requests continuously - The 2Wire routers that are required for UVerse access apparently fit in this category.

FYI: For those of you with Uverse who have a 2-Wire 3800HGV-B gateway, you CAN setup a proper wireless router behind the 2-Wire. I'm not sure if AT&T uses any other models for Uverse, but here's the procedure for setting up the 3800.
  • Connect the other wireless router to one of the 4 ethernet ports (not the WAN port)
  • Log into the 3800's management console (192.168.1.254 is the default IP assigned to the gateway)
  • Go to Settings > Firewall > Applications, Pinholes and DMZ
  • Select the router you've connected to the 3800 and put it into DMZplus mode
  • Disable the 3800's wireless interface (Settings > LAN > Wireless)

That's it. I have a Cisco E4200 running Tomato firmware handling router duties for all of my computers, while the 3800 still handles Uverse video. No ARP spamming with Tomato plus all of the benefits that it has to offer over an out-of-the-box router.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slickie88 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd February 2012, 07:35 PM   |  #465  
Thanks Meter: 39

324 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickie88

FYI: For those of you with Uverse who have a 2-Wire 3800HGV-B gateway, you CAN setup a proper wireless router behind the 2-Wire. I'm not sure if AT&T uses any other models for Uverse, but here's the procedure for setting up the 3800.

• Connect the other wireless router to one of the 4 ethernet ports (not the WAN port)
  • Log into the 3800's management console (192.168.1.254 is the default IP assigned to the gateway)
  • Go to Settings > Firewall > Applications, Pinholes and DMZ
  • Select the router you've connected to the 3800 and put it into DMZplus mode
  • Disable the 3800's wireless interface (Settings > LAN > Wireless)

That's it. I have a Cisco E4200 running Tomato firmware handling router duties for all of my computers, while the 3800 still handles Uverse video. No ARP spamming with Tomato plus all of the benefits that it has to offer over an out-of-the-box router.

Thanks! I never bothered setting up DMZ as I always viewed it as a hassle. Didn't think it'd be so simple. I am going to dust off my DD-WRT Buffalo and do this!
23rd February 2012, 04:19 PM   |  #466  
Thanks Meter: 36

193 posts
Ok. I really tried to figure this out myself, but I am at a loss. Here are my BBS, Wireshark, and dmesg as instructed in OP. After sitting for 1 hour, My CPUSpy shows :

Deep Sleep 51%
200 - 29%
800 12%

Under Battery Usage:
Android OS is at 69%
Display at 15%
Everything else (Phone idle, Cell stanby are at 4% or less)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I am running:
UnNamed 1.3.2 UCKH7
DD 0218-B
Modem - I777UCKJ4 (best reception and speed in my area)
Wireless on
Bluetooth off
GPS Off

Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip traces.zip - [Click for QR Code] (28.2 KB, 3 views)
23rd February 2012, 04:27 PM   |  #467  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,496

13,385 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhermit

Ok. I really tried to figure this out myself, but I am at a loss. Here are my BBS, Wireshark, and dmesg as instructed in OP. After sitting for 1 hour, My CPUSpy shows :

Deep Sleep 51%
200 - 29%
800 12%

Under Battery Usage:
Android OS is at 69%
Display at 15%

UnNamed 1.3.2 UCKH7
DD 0218-B
Wireless on
Bluetooth off
GPS Off

Thank you.

Will take a look tonight or tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2012, 05:09 PM   |  #468  
Thanks Meter: 363

1,056 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhermit

Deep Sleep 51%
200 - 29%
800 12%

Under Battery Usage:
Android OS is at 69%
Display at 15%

UnNamed 1.3.2 UCKH7
DD 0218-B
Wireless on
Bluetooth off
GPS Off

Thank you.

I haven't ever analysed dmesg or shark logs but this is what I can tell from your BBS log:

(1)
Code:
"wlan_wake" (): 36 m 20 s  (2180 s) Cnt:(c/wc/ec)11587/3065/0 9.8%
"wlan_rx_wake" (): 35 m  (2100 s) Cnt:(c/wc/ec)3582/0/3581 9.4%
- Try turning off the Wi-Fi when your turn off the screen. You can do that a couple of ways: Set Llama (free app) to do it based on actions (screen on/off, ..). I used to do it that way but then I found a more efficient way to do it, by using a paid app GreenPower. There is a system setting too that can turn off wifi when you turn off the screen. So yeah, there are many ways, pick one.

(2)
Code:
"sec-battery-monitor" (): 37 m 41 s  (2261 s) Cnt:(c/wc/ec)3450/366/0 10.1%
ccc71.bmw.pro (): Wakeups: 372
Second major power drain seems to be Battery Monitor Widget. I too have tried it in the past. Ironically, I installed it to study my battery behavior to improve its life but BMW itself became a major power hog. YMMV though. But try freezing BMW and see if that makes a difference.

(3)
Code:
Lotus Traveler service (com.lotus.sync.traveler.Lotus Traveler): 11 m 58 s  (718 s) Count:21 1.5%
This seems to rank 3rd among the power drainers. I have never used Lotus Traveler. So the best I could say is: check if you can tweak its settings to disable/reduce the freq of notifications/sync (if any)

Summary: Implementing points 1 and 2 should show you a big difference in CPU Spy readings.. you should get longer deep sleeps.
Last edited by jazzboyrules; 23rd February 2012 at 05:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jazzboyrules For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd February 2012, 05:33 PM   |  #469  
Thanks Meter: 36

193 posts
Thanks!

1) I had read that WiFi consumes very, very little power when sleeping and if the apps are asking for data it would go to cell if wifi is off which uses more power. But if that would make a difference, I am willing to try it.

2) Crap. I had BMW frozen and defrosted last night to mess with my battery. In any event, when I had it frozen, the sec-battery-monitor WL was still showing up very prominently. Nevertheless, I have frozen BMW again.

3) Traveler is waking up to fetch my mail once an hour. I am going to turn off replication at night to see how that helps. I am skeptical since I had frozen Traveler and K-9 and did not see much improvement, but maybe there were other variables. I will freeze again tonight and see what shows up.

Thank you again.
27th February 2012, 11:26 PM   |  #470  
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
I've been trying out just using the 3g connection instead of staying on my company wifi...

Night and day difference. Phone drops about 1% per 45 minutes instead of 10% in about hour and half. Phone stays quite a bit cooler too..

Fyi, I am on the ukk6 build still stock.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread