FORUMS

Sunday Debate: How Can We Get a No-Compromise Phone?

Join us in a fun Sunday Debate on Compromises. Come with your opinions and … more

PSA: You Can Optimize Your Note 4’s Recents Menu & RAM

The Note 4 never had the fastest Recents Menu, and despite its 3GB of RAM, … more

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (July 25 – Aug 1)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

[REF] Known identified battery drainers

13,888 posts
Thanks Meter: 25,326

By Entropy512, Senior Recognized Developer on 18th October 2011, 02:22 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
28th February 2012, 07:40 PM |#481  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Maybe a dumb question, but what you would say is a good awake ratio ?

28th February 2012, 07:51 PM |#482  
SoCal
Thanks Meter: 293

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by melder52

Not a shocker there. Great app on the iPhone but Android version has been shoddy. Keep wanting to have it installed (w/widget also) but can't take the battery hit that comes along with it everytime I try to go back to it.

Maybe one day they'll get it right.

Yeah, I guess I don't need to know scores that bad... it would be nice if it didn't eat battery though.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk
28th February 2012, 07:53 PM |#483  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,156

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Rich

Yeah, I guess I don't need to know scores that bad... it would be nice if it didn't eat battery though.

Scoremobile, my friend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simba501 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th February 2012, 09:38 PM |#484  
SoCal

More
Thank you!

28th February 2012, 11:44 PM |#485  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberManiaK

Maybe a dumb question, but what you would say is a good awake ratio ?

It depends on how often you are using your phone...if you don't touch it for eight hours the deep sleep should be high 90's. If you use it constantly until the battery dies then obviously your deep sleep percentage would be way different

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App
29th February 2012, 12:48 AM |#486  
SoCal

More
Wow, I wish I would have deleted ESPN sooner, my battery life has seen a big increase.

29th February 2012, 03:51 AM |#487  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
I searched this thread and didn't see anything about this... but Heywire seems to be annihilating my battery lately... It was the top thing on my battery usage list, about equal with display which had 1 hour of "time on." That seems extremely excessive to me. I would gladly run a "wire shark" if I knew what it was or how to do it, the only time I've ever heard of it was on the "horrible battery life" Entropy kept telling people do them.
29th February 2012, 04:30 AM |#488  
Undisclosed
Thanks Meter: 449

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Rich

I'm starting to use more bookmarks for things like sports scores, stock quotes, etc.
No battery drain whatsoever...
29th February 2012, 01:18 PM |#489  
Thanks Meter: 1,945

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinW3

I searched this thread and didn't see anything about this... but Heywire seems to be annihilating my battery lately... It was the top thing on my battery usage list, about equal with display which had 1 hour of "time on." That seems extremely excessive to me. I would gladly run a "wire shark" if I knew what it was or how to do it, the only time I've ever heard of it was on the "horrible battery life" Entropy kept telling people do them.

Searching is good - https://market.android.com/details?i...4zby5zaGFyayJd - there's also a version/viewer for the desktop at http://www.wireshark.org/
29th February 2012, 03:36 PM |#490  
OP Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,326

Donate to Me
More
The Wireshark techniques are primarily for those seeing excessively high Android OS percentages.

If an app is high on the list - that's pretty obvious and you don't need to do much more than nuke it and see if things improve.
29th February 2012, 04:36 PM |#491  
Flag Budapest
Thanks Meter: 13

More
GPS Status and Toolbox - battery usage
Hi all,

I'm the author of GPS Status and Toolbox mentioned also on the first post.

I'm receiving several complaints about the battery issue and investigated the reports, because GPS Status was designed explicitly NOT to run in background. It does not have services, alarms, does not start at boot. In fact once you close it, it cannot be activated without user interaction.

Also it was strange people were reporting excessive use when they have not used the app at all. Here are my findings:

It seems that the battery measurement routines are buggy in android (ICS still has this bug). The battery measurement service registers when an app starts using a sensor, but sometimes forgets to unregister this when the app releases it. (even if you kill the app's process). When the battery use is displayed the battery screen calculates the battery use by adding up the different ways a program can consume the battery (CPU, GPS, network radio use, and sensor use). The sensor use is basically calculated by subtracting the last sensor start value from the current time and the difference is multiplied by the sensors power requirement (per second). Because the system does not de-registers the sensor use correctly some programs are treated as using the sensors while in fact they are not even existing as a running process. As time passes this 'phantom' battery use grows even relative to the rest of the system's power use.

In short this means that when the device is in sleep mode and consumes almost no battery, the calculation assumes that the sensors are still running. This results in increasing battery use reports for apps that use sensors.

This does not happen always, but I was able to reproduce it with practically any app that uses several sensors. The effect is most visible on Samsung phones because I guess samsung assigns higher power requirement values for the ensors than other vendors.

Long story short, DO NOT trust the battery usage display. It may give you an indication, but it is just a guess. (however seeing the code, the CPU usage statistics seems to come from the kernel so they are much more reliable).

As a rule of thumb, higher battery use should come with higher CPU use. If you see high battery use for a task that hast consumed only low amount of CPU then chances are that the battery use is not correctly displayed.

Hope this helps
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rhornig For This Useful Post: [ View ]

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread