Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,360 Members 53,367 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Few Questions About The Processor

Tip us?

DMan1993
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default [Q] Few Questions About The Processor

Since it's release date on October 10, I've been debating on whether or not I should get this over the Amaze 4g and after 4 days, I decided that the galaxy s 2 is the best choice for me. Now after watching some videos of the original galaxy s 2, I want to know what things were left out in terms of processing power. All I know is that it uses the snapdragon s3 processor which runs on an a8 cortex as opposed to the a9 in the exynos processor. I know that speed is one of the things that the exynos has over snapdragon and also the fact that it's asynchronous as opposed to qualcomm running one core at a time (correct me if I'm wrong here, not savy on processors). The biggest things I know I will use on this phone is Internet, photos, media, and some gaming here and there. On YouTube I saw the original galaxy s 2 capable of running an N64 emulator with virtually no lag, though I don't know if sound was included, and the same goes for the psx emulator. I also saw how it was able to play multiple video formats (including 1080p mkv files) with no issues whatsoever. I want to know if the snapdragon processor would still be capable of running emulators at similar speeds and still have support for multiple video formats even though it's not as fast as the exynos processor. Help is definitely appreciated.

P.S. This was typed on an iPod so sorry if there are any typos and grammar mistakes.

PoisonWolf
Old
Thanks Meter 471
The Qualcomm chip is asynchronous.

Right now, I don't know how much Samsung did to fine-tune the system to accommodate the hardware differences....but like you said, the Qualcomm chip is A8 and the Exynos is A9.

That speaks for itself.
Past successful purchases - kmdub with AT&T Palm Pre Plus(link).
-

Mudkip
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf View Post
The Qualcomm chip is asynchronous.

Right now, I don't know how much Samsung did to fine-tune the system to accommodate the hardware differences....but like you said, the Qualcomm chip is A8 and the Exynos is A9.

That speaks for itself.
I have no idea in the difference care to enlighten me or post a link?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

PoisonWolf
Old
Thanks Meter 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudkip View Post
I have no idea in the difference care to enlighten me or post a link?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk
Essentially, the Qualcomm chip is running on an older architecture relative to the Exynos, which is typically why the Exynos outperforms the Qualcomm even at lower clockspeeds. I'm guessing T-Mobile needed the SGS2 to be on par with with its siblings thus the higher clockspeeds (1.5ghz) to accommodate the older architecture.

The iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S if I'm not mistaken are also running chips that are based on the A9 architectures.

There is a difference when using the original SGS2 with the T-Mobile version...but it's not too drastic. What the CPU makes up in lack of speed, the big screen more than makes up for it.
Past successful purchases - kmdub with AT&T Palm Pre Plus(link).
-

kosnarf
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm quite new to this forum, therefore I can't post external links yet. However, perform a google search for "How Samsung's chip change-up affects the T-Mobile Galaxy S II" the first link is an interesting article.

heygrl
Old
Thanks Meter 42
The normal clockspeed for this processor is 1.5GHz
-Samsung Galaxy S III Ceramic/Marble White on T-Mobile
-Samsung Exhibit 4G
-Samsung Vibrant
-Samsung Captivate on T-Mobile

toy4x4
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosnarf View Post
I'm quite new to this forum, therefore I can't post external links yet. However, perform a google search for "How Samsung's chip change-up affects the T-Mobile Galaxy S II" the first link is an interesting article.
What I took away from that article is that they went Snapdragon in order to use another modem chip to be able to do 42Mbps. The sacrifice is graphics performance.

Hmm, it plays my HD movie great. Not sure I will ever play a first person shooter on it...

AllGamer
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 1575

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by heygrl View Post
The normal clockspeed for this processor is 1.5GHz
i was about to point out the same

the Qualcomm CPU stock speed is 1.5 Ghz, the same CPU on HTC Sense was actually under clocked to 1.2 Ghz

so the new HTC Amaze is using the CPU at is normal speed like on our phone

Donation is appreciated but not required, a cup of Coffee would suffice

Samsung i9000m: on CM10
Samsung Nexus S: on JB 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-T989: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE SGH-i717r: on CM10
Samsung Galaxy NOTE 3 SM-N900W8: stock 4.3

ap77
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4x4 View Post
What I took away from that article is that they went Snapdragon in order to use another modem chip to be able to do 42Mbps. The sacrifice is graphics performance.

Hmm, it plays my HD movie great. Not sure I will ever play a first person shooter on it...
It also sacrifices general OS performance, at least in its current state. Looks like Samsung did no optimization on this guy for the qcom SoC. As it currently stands, I find it more laggy than my (admittedly) highly optimized Epic (single core). Hopefully things will improve with devs, etc.

Krooked22
Old
(Last edited by Krooked22; 18th October 2011 at 05:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 52
I had the original and was using it on att gophone,
and sold it to get this. I needed to be on a contract and Tmobile was my only option so I got this

User interface was faster and smoother, apps opened and closed in the blink of an eye

games also ran with no lag whatsoever

Screen is bigger, no hardware buttons, and faster data is a plus for me

Tmobile is very spotty in my area tho

Sometimes I feel like I should have stayed

This phone has been behaving differently

The user interface is nearly as smooth and some of my favorite games lag

(Dragon fly, modern combat 2)

Still a great phone but these 2 Arras are disappointing for me

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App