Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,164 Members 49,958 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!!

Tip us?

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 3,004

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by l3LO0 View Post
Hi,

I rooted my S2 using the 2c and everything went well and its great; however, after the phone rebooted my wi-fi was turned off, I go to turn it on which it does but turns off instantly after 2 seconds. Anyone have any idea on how I can get my wi-fi to work again?

Thanks

Edit:I tried to add my network through the add Wi-Fi network but it said it is unable to save the network..
Did you start from UCKH7 before using 2c method, or had you upgraded to UCKK6 via OTA?

Or.. did you OTA update after using 2c method?

Did you do a wipe data/factory reset in recovery or from settings either before or after using 2c method? If you started with UCKH7 and are still on UCKH7, and have not done a wipe, you should perform a wipe. You should back up any settings and system data you don't want to lose before you wipe.

l3LO0
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Before using 2c method, I was upgraded to UCKK6 via OTA. I'll try doing a wipe.

creepyncrawly
Old
Thanks Meter 3,004

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Before using 2c method, I was upgraded to UCKK6 via OTA. I'll try doing a wipe.
You may be able to recover the wifi without a wipe if you OTA update to UCKK6. You will retain root.

wreckit72
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Hi,

I rooted my S2 using the 2c and everything went well and its great; however, after the phone rebooted my wi-fi was turned off, I go to turn it on which it does but turns off instantly after 2 seconds. Anyone have any idea on how I can get my wi-fi to work again?

Thanks

Edit:I tried to add my network through the add Wi-Fi network but it said it is unable to save the network..
I had the same problem when I rooted mine. I did a wipe data/factory reset and my wi-fi now works.

l3LO0
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Alright I wiped the phone which made the Wi-Fi work but when I updated the phone the software it reverted to UCKK6 from UCKH7 though I still had Superuser installed. I thought that after rooting even if you OTA update the root would still last?

creepyncrawly
Old
Thanks Meter 3,004

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Alright I wiped the phone which made the Wi-Fi work but when I updated the phone the software it reverted to UCKK6 from UCKH7 though I still had Superuser installed. I thought that after rooting even if you OTA update the root would still last?
The process you followed (going back to UCKH7 rooted, and then updating to UCKK6 again) is one way to get UCKK6 rooted. To test that you are still rooted, install an application that requires root and try to use it. If you get a superuser request and are able to approve it, then you are still rooted.

cowhow
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Incredibly helpful post, Creepycrawly. Thanks for compiling all this info. I'm a lowly noob to GSII and it was very helpful. I want to make sure I've got this right.

1. Being on UCKK6 means a jig is basically useless to me
2. Following step 2C will root the phone without hitting the counter.
3. Subsequent ROMs need to be flashed on the phone with Mobile Odin.

Sorry to be redundant, but this is a work phone and I can't risk support/warranty with ATT.

creepyncrawly
Old
Thanks Meter 3,004

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowhow View Post
Incredibly helpful post, Creepycrawly. Thanks for compiling all this info. I'm a lowly noob to GSII and it was very helpful. I want to make sure I've got this right.

1. Being on UCKK6 means a jig is basically useless to me
If you updated to UCKK6 over the air (OTA), then the secondary bootloader did not change. You will still be able to use the jig. If you installed the UCKK6 leak, then you may have installed a crippled secondary bootloader.
Quote:
2. Following step 2C will root the phone without hitting the counter.
Yes. It will also return the phone to UCKH7.
Quote:
3. Subsequent ROMs need to be flashed on the phone with Mobile Odin.
After rooting the phone, the next step is usually to install a ClockworkMod enabled kernel using one of the methods in step 3. You can directly install a ROM using Mobile Odin, but bear in mind that most roms come in CWM flashable zip files, and to use them with Mobile Odin, you have to extract the components and load them into Mobile Odin separately. Mobile Odin is one way of flashing subsequently ROMs, but using ClockworkMod Recovery is the most common way.
Quote:
Sorry to be redundant, but this is a work phone and I can't risk support/warranty with ATT.

cowhow
Old
(Last edited by cowhow; 12th January 2012 at 04:41 PM.) Reason: add content
Thanks Meter 17
Thanks, creepyncrawly. That all made sense.

It was the OTA update...ordering jig now.

Nosferatu.
Old
Thanks Meter 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly View Post
Yes. The jig will put your phone into download mode. Pull the jig back out and hold down the power button until the phone powers off and back on.
Just wanted to report back. Got the jig. Turned phone off...plugged in jig, it went into download mode, unplug jig, rebooted phone...no more yellow triangle

YAY!

You guys rock!