Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,246 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to Flash Custom Binaries Without Ever Incrementing the Flash Counter!!

Tip us?

Jacobite39
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly View Post
Yes, if you restored system data. No need to reflash anything. Just do another wipe data/factory reset, and then restore missing apps and data.
I did it, and I got my wifi back and market now works. I'm having to re-setup pretty much all the basic stuff, but at least I got all my apps back and everything seems to be working so far.

Next up, CM9.

Thanks again.

aj9507
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite39 View Post
I did it, and I got my wifi back and market now works. I'm having to re-setup pretty much all the basic stuff, but at least I got all my apps back and everything seems to be working so far.

Next up, CM9.

Thanks again.
dont forget to do a nandroid before flashing other than that have fun flashing

AT&T SGH-I777
Nightlies

Pivo99
Old
Thanks Meter 15
So once i download and use the zimage from the kernel provided will i be able to flash any rom ....even ICS? Just like normal through cwm...put it on the root of the sd card and flash like normal

billyjed
Old
Thanks Meter 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivo99 View Post
So once i download and use the zimage from the kernel provided will i be able to flash any rom ....even ICS? Just like normal through cwm...put it on the root of the sd card and flash like normal
Once you root,etc, you can flash anything you want through cwm and not increment your flash counter

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

GigDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 37
just wanted to say thank you. followed the 2c, 3a route. As others have already said, make sure you do a factory reset (at least cache etc.) in recovery mode in between steps 2 and 3 or you may get FCs coming from another version/rom. other than that, perfect, detailed write-up. Thanks!

Stackman1
Old
(Last edited by Stackman1; 24th July 2012 at 06:43 PM.) Reason: shorten
Thanks Meter 4
Default Just another testimonial

Thanks Creepy and everyone on this thread. I wanted to get root access so I could rid myself of bloatware, take screen shots and just generally understand the underlying infrastructure of phone and files. Still have lots to learn. I have a question but here is what I have done so far:

My phone config before trying to root:
Samsung-SGH-I777
I777UCKK6
GingerBread.UCKK6

I followed Creepy's lead.
1. Read the Flash Counter. I was good - NO custom binary download.
2. Ran 2C: "Odin3 One-click Downloader I-777 UCKH7 Stock + Root No Bootloaders"
I777_UCKH7_OCD_Root_No_BL.7z

<ID:0/003> Added!!
<ID:0/003> Odin v.3 engine (ID:3)..
<ID:0/003> File analysis..
<ID:0/003> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/003> Initialzation..
<ID:0/003> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/003> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/003> factoryfs.img
<ID:0/003> zImage
<ID:0/003> modem.bin
<ID:0/003> Removed!!
<ID:0/003> Completed..
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 1 / failed 0)

My phone config after trying to root:
Samsung-SGH-I777
I777UCKK6
GingerBread.UCKH7

Looks like I returned to Android 2.3.4 (which I believe was my original version before doing an OTA update to 2.3.6) and went forward in Baseband. All Good I Expect.

Unfortunately, my wifi didn't work.
I tried someone's suggestion to use FXR WIFI - didn't work for me though.

Then re-read Creepy's msg# 384:
You should do a wipe data/factory reset before you flash. Going from UCKK6 to UCKH7 is known to cause wifi not to work, but the fix is to wipe data/factory reset.
I had not done a factory reset before running 2C but went ahead and did it afterward - sure enough I got my wifi back -

So to see if I had rooted my phone - I downloaded Android Terminal Emulator. When I typed in "su" - I got the "#" sign - which I took to mean I had superuser access but.......if I try to drill into a directory like "/etc"
I get /etc: permission denied

I read:
Root means installing SuperUser.apk, su, and busybox. That's it. The stock + root package has those already included, but also gives you the bone stock kernel.

I did download the Superuser app (it shows Terminal Emulator running). SU seemed to partially work? Busybox - don't see.....

I guess my question is: do you think I have root? and if so, why do I get permission denied when I try to drill down the linux path?

Thanks
Peter[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 01:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

BTW, One great thing I did notice was my screen use to flicker quite a bit - I think my "root" may have fixed that!!

xhepera
Old
Thanks Meter 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackman1 View Post
I guess my question is: do you think I have root? and if so, why do I get permission denied when I try to drill down the linux path?
If you're getting a # prompt you're rooted. Have you tried Root Explorer or Solid Explorer or one of the other file managers? I've never used a terminal to drill down so I can't speak to what might be at issue on that front.
Phone: AT&T Galaxy SII (SGH-I777)
ROM: SlimBean 8.1
Kernel: AJK 4.5 (BOSS)
Modem: UCKH7

Tablet: Nexus 7 2012
ROM; Stock 4.3, rooted
Kernel: Franco
TWRP

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2997

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Root means installing SuperUser.apk, su, and busybox. That's it. The stock + root package has those already included, but also gives you the bone stock kernel.

I did download the Superuser app (it shows Terminal Emulator running). SU seemed to partially work? Busybox - don't see.....

Root actually means Superuser.apk and the su binary. The busybox binary is optional.

You should look in the following locations to verify that the files are there. There is only one actual binary file for each of su and busybox, the other directory usually contains a symlink:
/system/app/superuser.apk
/system/bin/su
/system/bin/busybox
/system/xbin/su
/system/xbin/busybox

I'm pretty sure that the root in Entropy512's UCKH7 plus root includes busybox.

In terminal emulator, try
some-string:/ $ su
some-string:/ # cd / (you should already be at root, but just in case)
some-string:/ # cd /system/etc
some-string:/system/etc #

This will not work without busybox though, because the commands are all in busybox.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Stackman1
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepyncrawly View Post
Root actually means Superuser.apk and the su binary. The busybox binary is optional.

You should look in the following locations to verify that the files are there. There is only one actual binary file for each of su and busybox, the other directory usually contains a symlink:
/system/app/superuser.apk
/system/bin/su
/system/bin/busybox
/system/xbin/su
/system/xbin/busybox

I'm pretty sure that the root in Entropy512's UCKH7 plus root includes busybox.

In terminal emulator, try
some-string:/ $ su
some-string:/ # cd / (you should already be at root, but just in case)
some-string:/ # cd /system/etc
some-string:/system/etc #

This will not work without busybox though, because the commands are all in busybox.
Creepy -
I navigated to the directories and then issued a 'ls' command; here are the results:
/system/app/superuser.apk found
/system/bin/su not found
/system/bin/busybox not found
/system/xbin/su found
/system/xbin/busybox not found

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2997

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Creepy -
I navigated to the directories and then issued a 'ls' command; here are the results:
/system/app/superuser.apk found
/system/bin/su not found
/system/bin/busybox not found
/system/xbin/su found
/system/xbin/busybox not found
You can install busybox from the Google play store.

The normal practice is to put the su binary in the xbin directory, and a symlink in the bin directory. The symlink isn't mandatory. After you install busybox, you can probably create the symlink from terminal (I havn't tried it.) If you don't know the commands, you can google and find them. It'll be the same as for linux.

The Following User Says Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]