Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,798 Members 38,956 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOWTO] ROOT T-Mobile SGSII via ODIN -- Updated Recovery

Tip us?

Gopher love
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks man, this way worked perfectly my galaxy sII and also my buddies who i share the contract with... I rooted mine in about an hour (dont ask...) and his in like 15-20 min... no problems either time... Everything went perfectly smooth.

But FYI - the download link for the CWM recovery you flash during this does not work.. the link is down or something.. but i got the file elsewhere..

Anyways, thanks alot bro!
My toys-
1. Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition Tower with; AMD FX-8150 Zambezi Core @ 3.6GHz (stock right now), MSI 990FXA-GD80 MoBo, 16GB (4 x 4GB) of G.SKILL Sniper Series Low Voltage DDR3 1600 RAM, XFX Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition (FX-797A-TDBC),CORSAIR AX850 850 watt PSU (CPMSU-850AX)
2. Samsung Galaxy S II; Rooted with Juggernaut v4.1 ROM Currently
3.Samsung RF711-S02; Intel Core i7-2630QM(2.00GHz), 4GB DDR3, 750GB HDD and a 32GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Dedicated Graphics

tomasitoc
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Hello gopher love,
can you provide me a link where you got the CWM recovery file, I am also trying to root my SII
thanks in advance

getontarget
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasitoc View Post
Hello gopher love,
can you provide me a link where you got the CWM recovery file, I am also trying to root my SII
thanks in advance
I got the file from: http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-roo....3.5-tutorial/

but I just found out this process is possible too:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1332103
Nexus 4: Stock 4.3 rooted w/ LTE activated
SGS4: sold
SGS3: sold
SGS Vibrant: RemICS -retired
HD2: sensation sense 3.0-retired -retired
Nook color: Paranoid Android 1.5
touchpad: Fat' n Creamy

cubanito151
Old
Thanks Meter 1
So im guessing this method doesn't work on 2.3.6 im still looking for one that does slow i don't have to revert to 2.3.5. Does anyone know a way to root 2.3.6?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App

tmak22
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Slight Problem

When I get into recovery and try to scroll down, the screen goes black and the option I can select is restart phone.

Any suggestions??

zkid2010
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanito151 View Post
So im guessing this method doesn't work on 2.3.6 im still looking for one that does slow i don't have to revert to 2.3.5. Does anyone know a way to root 2.3.6?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA Premium App
This works - every time - on my 2.3.6.

gorillaz1
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quick question.

Followed instructions, everything seemed to work fine. But when I installed the superuser zip, it said aborted...but when I restarted I do have the superuser app icon...

does that mean I'm rooted?

zkid2010
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaz1 View Post
Quick question.

Followed instructions, everything seemed to work fine. But when I installed the superuser zip, it said aborted...but when I restarted I do have the superuser app icon...

does that mean I'm rooted?
No, reflash it until it succeeds. I've had it fail 2 or 3 times and work on the fourth, or last time for example it succeeded on first try.

Use the 3.0.7(?) newest super user too if you can. Best way to check for root is install a terminal app and try the su command. If you get a # prompt in response, you're as rooted as you need to be.

OldeCrow
Old
Thanks Meter 123
I had to fix permissions before superuser would flash, once permissions were fixed superuser flashed OK...
Current Phone: SGS4T-Mobile
If you don't want me to compare your rom to others maybe you should consider developing soup can's with strings instead.

alpharomero
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Is this the only way to root? (New to GS2.) Do I need an external SD card or am I good to go right out of the box?
Blackberry Curve 8320 > iPhone 3G > HTC Vision (G2) > iPhone 3GS > HTC G2 > Samsung Galaxy S II (T989)

T-Mobile Customer Since 2006