Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,086 Members 54,131 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] How to Prepare Your Phone to Return to the Store or for Warranty Replacement

Tip us?

cesande
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Thanks for this Guide as well!
Once again works like a charm if you read and follow along!

stalked_r/t
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Excellent help. Thanks!

moeaz05
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hey my custom binary it says yes. In not sending it back to warrety, I just want to revert back to stock. So am I allowed to continue without the jig?

creepyncrawly
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 2962

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by moeaz05 View Post
Hey my custom binary it says yes. In not sending it back to warrety, I just want to revert back to stock. So am I allowed to continue without the jig?
The counter does not have any control over the actual function of the phone. It only provedes information. So go ahead and flash back to stock if you want to. That will also restore your AT&T boot screen and remove the yellow triangle.

And if you want to clear the counter later, buy a jig.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

moeaz05
Old
Thanks Meter 0
o okay thks. so there is only one offical frimware out for this att phone and it is 2.3.4?

creepyncrawly
Old
Thanks Meter 2962

DONATE TO ME
Correct. It's only been less than two months since release.
The Following User Says Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Yovee
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I'm considering returning my phone to Target so I can get in on the Walmart deal. The jig will be delivered on Wednesday or Thursday, and it takes 3 business days after I return the phone to reset my upgrade eligibility, which might put me after the last date (Dec. 3rd) that the Walmart deal is available. Do you guys think the counter is usually checked when a return is processed?

creepyncrawly
Old
Thanks Meter 2962

DONATE TO ME
@Yovee

Most people seem to think if you remove the i9100 boot screen with the yellow triangle, you are safe, and that the chance someone will actually look at the flash counter is very unlikely. I don't know, but I can say I have never seen a post where anyone said that their return was rejected for this.

You can remove the boot screen and yellow triangle without a jig. See the post in my signature for more info.
The Following User Says Thank You to creepyncrawly For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kadin
Old
Thanks Meter 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yovee View Post
I'm considering returning my phone to Target so I can get in on the Walmart deal. The jig will be delivered on Wednesday or Thursday, and it takes 3 business days after I return the phone to reset my upgrade eligibility, which might put me after the last date (Dec. 3rd) that the Walmart deal is available. Do you guys think the counter is usually checked when a return is processed?
I've returned/exchanged a fair amount of Samsung phones over the past few months and never had an associate look at it. I'd say that half of them never even turned the phone on. At least they did verify the IMEI and accessories.

Sent from my Samsung GSII (SGH-I777) using xda premium
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337 [Stock 4.2.2 rooted w/ CWM 6.0.4.4 (LOKi'D)]

Yovee
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks a lot for your responses guys. In that case I think I'll just restore the original firmware, get rid of the yellow triangle, and return the phone.