5,593,793 Members 44,795 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HowTo: Perform a bootstrap (or nandroid) backup and recovery of your Droid X2

Tip us?

Moon Shadow - NM
Old
(Last edited by Moon Shadow - NM; 15th November 2013 at 11:22 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 489

DONATE TO ME
Lightbulb HowTo: Perform a bootstrap (or nandroid) backup and recovery of your Droid X2

Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - HowTo: Perform a bootstrap (or nandroid) backup and recovery of your Motorola Droid X2
Please note that some people call this a clockworkmod (CWM) backup or a nandroid backup. The backup procedure was adapted from the original CWM nandroid backup code, so technically that is a correct statement. I just wanted to point that out for clarification.

Please keep in mind that this tutorial is specifically for the Motorola Droid X2 running Gingerbread 2.3.3 or 2.3.4. These procedures MIGHT work for other phones, however, I would not recommend taking the risk of bricking, or even soft bricking, your phone.

Standard disclaimer: I, nor XDA Forums, are responsible for what you do to your phone. Just because these tutorials work for me, does not mean that they will work for you.

I make no claims to be the original owner of this process. I am just consolidating the process into an easy to follow (hopefully) guide that will help everyone from noobs to experienced users.

This tutorial has been adapted from the post: Droid X2 Boostrap APK (here now!) by c21johnson who combined what he found into this thread. The original bootstrap method came from koush.

This method uses no computer! That’s right! This is done all on your phone… Well, except to transfer the apk to your phone, unless you are viewing this on your phone’s browser, or the XDA app.

I am making some assumptions in this tutorial:
1. You must be rooted before installing the bootstrap recovery for the Motorola Droid X2. Follow this procedure: Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - How To Root Your Motorola Droid X2.
2. You understand and are comfortable with installing software on your Droid X2 phone.
3. You understand and are comfortable with downloading programs, or transferring programs, to your Droid X2.
4. You understand and are comfortable with extracting compressed files (*.zip, *.rar *.7z, etc.) (I recommend 7zip to extract all compress files.)
5. You are willing to read this entire tutorial and ask questions if something is unclear to you, BEFORE you start this process. (Better to be safe than sorry.)

Now, on to the good stuff…

Hints:
Text in green are applications to launch or buttons to push within an application.
Text in red are warnings.
Orange is reserved for text that must be typed or copied. – Specific commands are also listed in code boxes.
This process will HIJACK the power off charge screen (who wants to see the battery do the wave on the charge screen anyway?). This process is REVERSABLE as well!

I have performed this method of backing up my phone a couple of dozen times. I have also used it to restore my phone a couple of times.

Initial steps to get the backup on your Droid X2:
1. You must be rooted before installing the bootstrap recovery for the Motorola Droid X2. Follow this procedure: Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - How To Root Your Motorola Droid X2.
2. Make sure you are rooted and have the latest versions of Superuser and Busybox installed from the market.
3. Again, please make sure you are rooted!
4. Now, download the Droid X2 Recovery APK.
5. Using 7zip, extract the apk file from the archive. (Hint: it’s the only file in the archive!)
6. Copy the file to your phone. I use DropBox. It’s free to store up to 2GB, and the app is also free, plus it just works. Plus, if you click on the linked DropBox from here, signup, and install it, we will both receive an extra 250MB of space.) Okay, enough with the gratuitous advertising…
7. Once you have the app on your Droid X2, launch it. It is also called “System Recovery” so if you don’t launch it immediately, you can find it in the app drawer.
8. Once System Recovery has been launched, tap “Install Recovery”.
9. Tap “Allow” when Superuser asks for permission.
10. Wait about 5 seconds to ensure the Recovery Install has completed successfully.
11. Make sure your phone is not plugged into the USB port of your computer or a USB hub. It must be plugged into the wall charger!
12. Now tap “Recovery Mode”. In 3-5 seconds the Droid X2 will APPEAR to reboot. What it is actually doing is performing the hijack of the Power Off Charge Mode of the Droid X2. The Droid X2 actually powers off, but because the BSR hijacks the Charge Animation screen (the battery with the fuel level showing the amount of charge), it will look like it is booting up. In a sense, it is, but it will boot into the Bootstrap Recovery. The battery will continue to charge as well.

Backup procedure (If you have followed the steps above, you can jump directly to step #10, but I recommend you read the entire process):
1. Pay very close attention here… This is what bit me in the arse and led me to ask a stupid question…
2. Take the Motorola factory USB cable and unplug it from everything… The computer, the wall charging block, the phone… Everything!
3. Plug the micro USB end into the phone.
4. Plug the male USB-A end into the wall charging block.
5. Plug the wall charging block into the wall.
6. DOUBLE CHECK THE FOLLOWING!
7. Make sure the phone is plugged into the wall charger and plugged into the wall… NOT a USB hub, not a USB port on a computer, Not anything but the wall charger, and the wall charger is plugged into the wall…
8. Okay, enough…
9. Now, power off the phone and don’t touch anything. The phone will power down, then power back up and boot into the Droid X2 Recovery GFAN.COM screen. The menu choices are GREEN! (Damn! That’s not an application or a button to push… Oh well…)
10. Once in the recovery menu, press the VOLUME DOWN BUTTON 6 times. This should highlight the option to Backup & restore.
11. Tap the power button. This selects the Backup & restore option.
12. Use the VOLUME UP or VOLUME DOWN buttons to select the memory location you would like to store the backup on. If you have not enabled the SD Card flip, or you don’t know what the SD Card flip is, store the backup on the External SD Card. If you have, then the choice is up to you. (I will be releasing a tutorial on how to implement my favorite mods. When I do, I will link to it here.)
a. Internal SD Card = the 8GB internal, non-removable memory. (The Internal SD Card has a little over 6.4GB of usable storage space.)
b. External SD Card = your removable MicroSD card.
13. Once you have highlighted your selection, tap the power button.
14. On the next screen, tap the power button again, since the Backup option is already selected.
15. Now, wait, the backup takes about 10 minutes to complete. Once it is complete, you should be back at the Droid X2 Recovery GFAN.COM screen.
16. Now press the power key since the menu selection is already on Reboot system now.
17. You have successfully made a bootstrap recovery backup of your Droid X2.

Note: The bootstrap recovery backup does not erase old backups. You must do that yourself from within your favorite file explorer. The backups are located in /mnt/sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/YYYY-MM-DD.HH.mm.ss.
YYYY = the 4 digit year. 2011 for example.
MM = the 2 digit month. Such as 10 for October.
DD = the 2 digit day. Such as 24 for the 24th day of October.
HH = the hour in 24 hour time. Such as 14 for 2PM.
mm = the 2 digit minute of the hour. Such as 34 for 34 minutes after 2PM, or 2:34PM.
ss = the 2 digit seconds the backup was created. Such as 17 seconds, or 2:34:17PM

Note: DO NOT add SPACES to any of the folder or backup names as this will BREAK your recovery! You can add additional information to them, just don't add any spaces. I did confirm this and it did work for me. (Now I know which ROM is which backup! Cool!)

Now you are wondering, what happens if I totally hose my Droid X2? It’s in a boot loop that a battery pull then factory wipe has not fixed! (Or some other dreadful, stomach sinking feeling of, “Oh CRAP! I just bricked my $500.00 phone!) How do I restore my backup? Not to worry, IF you did a backup BEFORE you did whatever it is you did to your Droid X2 to boot loop it or what have you. Just follow the Restore procedure below! If not, you will have to use the SBF procedure that I have outlined in Moon Shadow's Droid X2 Tutorials - How to perform an SBF of your Motorola Droid X2 to flash your phone back to factory, then do all the custom things you have done to it again.

Restore Procedure:
1. Make sure the phone is plugged into the wall charger and plugged into the wall… NOT a USB hub, not a USB port on a computer, Not anything but the wall charger, and the wall charger is plugged into the wall… (I won’t go through all that again…)
2. Now, power off the phone. The phone will power down, then power back up and boot into the Droid X2 Recovery GFAN.COM screen.
3. Once in the recovery menu, press the VOLUME DOWN BUTTON 6 times. This should highlight the option to Backup & restore.
4. Tap the power button. This choses the Backup & restore option.
5. Use the VOLUME UP or VOLUME DOWN buttons to select the memory location you have your backup stored on.
6. Once you have highlighted your selection, tap the power button.
7. On the next screen, press the VOLUME DOWN BUTTON once to highlight the Restore option.
8. Now, tap the power button. This selects the Restore option.
9. Use the VOLUME UP or VOLUME DOWN buttons to select the folder that contains the backup you would like to restore. For example, I selected 2011-10-24.12.35.09/. Your folder will have a different name! Please keep this in mind.
10. Tap the power button. This choses the folder you have selected and offers a new menu.
11. Using the VOLUME UP or VOLUME DOWN buttons, select – Yes – Restore.
12. Again, tap the power button.
13. Now, wait, the restore takes about 10 minutes to complete. Once it is complete, you should be back at the Droid X2 Recovery GFAN.COM screen.
14. Now press the power key since the menu selection is already on Reboot system now.
15. You have successfully restored a bootstrap recovery backup from your Droid X2.

Again, if you have any questions, or comments, either post them here, or PM me! Thanks all!

Ciao!

If I helped you, just hit the THANKS button. It's free, and nice to see. If I REALLY helped you, consider donating, or signing up for Dropbox from here and we both receive an extra 250MB of storage!

Also, check out my Motorola Droid X2 tutorials:
HowTo: Root your Motorola Droid X2
HowTo: Perform a SBF ("factory restore") of your Motorola Droid X2
HowTo: Perform a bootstrap (or nandroid) backup and recovery of your Droid X2
The Following 45 Users Say Thank You to Moon Shadow - NM For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

booked
Old
Thanks Meter 109

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for all the tutorials. Hopefully this keeps the noob post to a minimum.
Hacked, Cracked, and backed(up) - Droid X2
Droid DNA

If I helped you, donate to me. Thanks

Moon Shadow - NM
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 489

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by booked View Post
Thanks for all the tutorials. Hopefully this keeps the noob post to a minimum.
Hey, anything I can do to help. I also work a helpdesk, in addition to being a sysadmin, so, I know how important good tutorials are. Thanks for the kudos!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moon Shadow - NM For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashclepdia
Old
(Last edited by ashclepdia; 25th October 2011 at 01:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1360
U need to add a step tho

After pressing install recovery make sure phone is plugged into an outlet via wall charger
That is the one step most missed and should be in capital letters

I know its in the portions below but the initial recovery install and entering steps don't have it lol
And even tho u say read all some won't lol

GREAT JOB!!! I am LOVING THESE!! THEY ARE PERFECT AND EXACTLY WHAT IS NEEDED. These NEED TO BE STICKIED BY TOMORROW AS they are the easiest to read and follow and are exactly the type of write up that should be easily found at all times.
Off topic gone??? Mods got you down??? Visit motcher41's
Google+ Droid Friends & General Help Community
Anyone and virtually anything welcome there!
My GALAXY NEXUS(huzzah!) is running

Don't get left in the dark!
The Following User Says Thank You to ashclepdia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Moon Shadow - NM
Old
(Last edited by Moon Shadow - NM; 25th October 2011 at 03:21 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 489

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashclepdia View Post
U need to add a step tho

After pressing install recovery make sure phone is plugged into an outlet via wall charger
That is the one step most missed and should be in capital letters

I know its in the portions below but the initial recovery install and entering steps don't have it lol
And even tho u say read all some won't lol

GREAT JOB!!! I am LOVING THESE!! THEY ARE PERFECT AND EXACTLY WHAT IS NEEDED. These NEED TO BE STICKIED BY TOMORROW AS they are the easiest to read and follow and are exactly the type of write up that should be easily found at all times.
You are correct, I just tried it and when you tap the recovery mode button, without being plugged into power, it turns the phone off. Thanks! I've updated the OP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moon Shadow - NM For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashclepdia
Old
(Last edited by ashclepdia; 25th October 2011 at 02:36 PM.) Reason: I am an idiot
Thanks Meter 1360
The thing is the last step in the section says tap recovery mode. If u do that and and u aren't plugged in it will just reboot the phone which may confuse someone as to why it didn't go to recovery mode.

Just trying to eliminate any confusion as these should be stickied and everything else about them won't cause any confusion of done right except for that step.

The Following User Says Thank You to ashclepdia For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ashclepdia
Old
Thanks Meter 1360
CONGRATULATIONS MOON SHADOW on your sticky status

This is. Going to be a good day for the x2 I can feel it

skwoodwiva
Old
(Last edited by skwoodwiva; 28th October 2011 at 01:13 AM.)
Thanks Meter 181

DONATE TO ME
Thank you MS.. great work.

Could please add: only "adding spaces" will break md5 sum check. Use / continue the dot format and rename is fine.

Also in the clockworkmod folder create and empty file named : ".hidenandroidprogress" and progress "files being copied" will be suppressed speeding up the action.

ashclepdia
Old
Thanks Meter 1360
I have changed the name of my backups before by adding a description word at the end like .eclipse and never had a problem with restoration.

Edit::this is just a confirmation to above post

X0dus
Old
Thanks Meter 127
One heck of a tut to say: go into recovery, click Backup and Restore, Backup, External..Click restore to ... restore. :P

Sent from my DROID X2 using xda premium
What you're entitled to as a member of XDA
VZW Samsung Fascinate - CM7 and OTB oc/uv kernel
VZW Moto Droix X2 - Liberty ROM w/ locked bootloader
VZW SGSII Stock - Wife's Phone
AT&T LG NitroHD - HO!NO! Full Throttle v9 1512Mhz; -75uv 192Mhz to 1512Mhz; GPU OC

The Following User Says Thank You to X0dus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
backup, bootstrap recovery, droid x2, dx2, nanroid