Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,222 Members 45,525 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Otterbox defender--DIY car mount

Tip us?

karlkarloff
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Default Otterbox defender--DIY car mount

Hey, just got an Otterbox Defender case for my Inspire, since my Commuter case broke. Figured I would go beefier and hopefully the case would last. Anyway, it came with this belt clip/holster thing that was way too big and unwieldy for me, i just stick my phone in a hip pocket. I was just going to throw it away, but then I was "inspired"(bad joke, but oh well). I took the spring loaded clip on the back and took it off by pressing the two little tabs that hold it on, then used a hot air gun and gently melted the plastic and bent the clip out to about a 90 degree angle. Then I bent the end of it back down a bit to make a hook shape. Put it back on the holster and now I have a rather sturdy, rotating vent mount for my phone. Turned out rather well, and with the way the phone clips into the holster, no worry about it falling out at all. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow and post them, just in case someone might be interested in doing it themselves.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Acer A500 Iconia Rooted

"Everything Louder Than Everything Else"--Motorhead

sk8rade1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlkarloff View Post
Hey, just got an Otterbox Defender case for my Inspire, since my Commuter case broke. Figured I would go beefier and hopefully the case would last. Anyway, it came with this belt clip/holster thing that was way too big and unwieldy for me, i just stick my phone in a hip pocket. I was just going to throw it away, but then I was "inspired"(bad joke, but oh well). I took the spring loaded clip on the back and took it off by pressing the two little tabs that hold it on, then used a hot air gun and gently melted the plastic and bent the clip out to about a 90 degree angle. Then I bent the end of it back down a bit to make a hook shape. Put it back on the holster and now I have a rather sturdy, rotating vent mount for my phone. Turned out rather well, and with the way the phone clips into the holster, no worry about it falling out at all. I'll try to take some pics tomorrow and post them, just in case someone might be interested in doing it themselves.
Any pictures?

karlkarloff
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 51
Oh yeah sorry, I totally spaced putting them up. I'll snap some pics and put them up for you.
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Acer A500 Iconia Rooted

"Everything Louder Than Everything Else"--Motorhead

Bizzle58
Old
Thanks Meter 4
WHERESS THE PICS!?!? lol i have two of those things in my drawer (insurance paid for one after getting smashed up on the highway lol) I want to make an attempt at this!

Shmerrick
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This sounds like a good idea; waiting (with hot air gun in hand) for pics.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using xda premium

edw1n24
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Already next year, we didn't wait for pics, lol ))))

rambo83
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Default case

that sounds pretty cool post pics