More
Thumbs down
Nice find..
uninstalling Dolphin now...

28th October 2011, 10:50 PM |#122  
Flag Redwood City, California
Thanks Meter: 1,250

More
There's a new version 7.02 in the market. Does it actually remove the tracking as promised? I don't know.
28th October 2011, 11:16 PM |#123  
Flag Oman
Thanks Meter: 230

More
switched to opera
29th October 2011, 01:29 AM |#124  
Flag Jičín
Thanks Meter: 11

More
solved?
It should be solved now, in 7.0.2 - info from their blog.. I can't put URL here, I'm "newbie"..
The Following User Says Thank You to bazantik For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bazantik Ad-Free
29th October 2011, 02:01 AM |#125  
OP Senior Member
Flag Lake Vostok
Thanks Meter: 320

More
I'm pleased to see that this has been corrected in v7.0.2 (106)

mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser:DolphinNotification persists, but that is only relevant to annoyance levels, and not a privacy / security matter
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fnorder For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fnorder Ad-Free
29th October 2011, 02:55 AM |#126  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Anyone know if this behavior happens on iOS version of Dolphin and if it does has it been patched?
29th October 2011, 03:57 AM |#127  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Thumbs down
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjacko7x

Boy I really hope Dolphin fixes this. I tried going back to stock browser, and I couldn't do it. Not that I surf anywhere too dicey...just tech blog stuff usually, but still.........

this browser dev. should tell the truth in first place. Why hide this serious matter from users. Sorry, no way for this kind of developer attitude for breach our privacy.
29th October 2011, 04:47 AM |#128  
Thanks Meter: 505

More
Job well done XDA... Thanks for the OP for bringing this to light .
29th October 2011, 05:01 AM |#129  
Flag Oslo
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiqir

this browser dev. should tell the truth in first place. Why hide this serious matter from users. Sorry, no way for this kind of developer attitude for breach our privacy.

I agree with you! If they knew all this information purpose from beggining why did not say it?
For people that say this is not important,you should ask yourself just this:do you think they bothered to risk theyr reputation and write that code for nothing? So obviusly the information it sends it is precious.

Sending using a crappy Lg phone (optimus white)whitch i will never ever buy from then again
29th October 2011, 05:47 AM |#130  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,207

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by negrobembon

Wow, must be pretty good if youre willing to suck it up

I mean, you gotta have youre privacy

Sent from my X10a using xda premium

You use a Google account which mines through all your messages for keywords to sell to advertisers and allows them to project personalized ads to you.

You search through Google to find web pages, which in turn Google watches and sells as trends to advertisers to project to you more ads.

You have Facebook account which constantly mines through every single interaction you do on the site, that tracks every single link that is posted to the site, that facilitates the ecosystem for apps and games to give you content in return for letting them access your private information.

Every single moment you're on the internet, someone is watching and gathering statistics on you. Just a newsflash, yes, maybe "you gotta have youre privacy", but please don't forget that on the internet, you rarely have any. Being smart about it is the key, paranoia is irrational.

That being said, I'm on a fresh flash of my ROM and haven't yet installed a browser. I'll wait and see what the Dolphin Team's reaction to this is.
29th October 2011, 05:50 AM |#131  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 5,207

More
So, as it turns out, it's been fixed.

Blog Entry:

Quote:

Webzine Does Not Store User Data

At Dolphin, privacy and user safety has always been (and will continue to be) our top priority.

A few days ago, it was called to our attention that our newest version of Dolphin HD for Android 7.0 relays browsing information to a Webzine-specific URL. This information was never stored on our servers, and no browsing information has been captured about our users.
Webzine simply performs an ancillary check if we can view current webpage in Webzine format . It is not critical and we have temporary removed this functionality in our latest update yesterday.

As background, with Dolphin HD for Android 7.0 we rolled out a handful of updates to our popular Webzine feature. One of these is a “Toggle Webzine” button to view your current webpage as a Webzine. With roughly 300 Webzines supported at the moment, it was necessary for the client to check the current user URL against a database housing these 300 Webzine columns, which is what user Fnorder at XDA-Developers referred to. None of these URLs have ever been stored by Dolphin, instead being used to cross-index if a Webzine for the current site exists. If it does, the current site is immediately converted to Webzine format; if not, it remains the standard mobile site. Again, none of this process is stored on the backend of our servers and we are deeply sorry that this was not made clear to our users from the beginning. In terms of security, on a scale from one to ten, this is a zero. Dolphin does not store browsing history nor user personal information and we have never done so in the past.

While it has been immediately disabled, we do think that the “Toggle Webzine” feature is a useful one for exploring the Web and will be adding an “opt-in” feature in forthcoming releases to enable this function. The code and URL-checking process will be made very clear to users, and will only be enabled if a user wishes. Again, our update last night have temporary removed this functionality to avoid any confusion or concern you may have.

We are delighted that our user community is growing to new heights daily. We continue to learn from you, our users, and will always be responsive to your comments and suggestion. Webzine is one of our favorite features, and we look forward to your continuous suggestion Please contact support@dolphin-browser.com.

Thanks,
Dolphin Team

Update: It’s come to our attention that the hot fix update we pushed out last night on Android Market (7.0.1) did not fix the issue. It has now been resolved and is live on the Android Market as Dolphin Browser HD v7.0.2. Again, user privacy is a huge priority for us and we thank you for your patience while this has been resolved.

Source
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)